Topics

Raymarine autopilot

ngtnewington Newington

I delighted with my Raymarine Autopilot. It has been great but it is now 13 years old. Having done a lot of hand steering on my first boat, we only had a servo pendulum windvane, I know how tedious it can be. I would much rather be light on crew but have autopilot back up.
So how reliable do other owners find these Raymarine autopilots? Am I just lucky?

To that end I am thinking of buying a spare to have on board, including a new linear drive unit.

The new Raymarine would be the obvious choice;
Exactly same linear drive unit
New fancy heading sensor EV1
ACU400 drive
P70 control

Does anyone have any thoughts.

Nick
Amelia AML54-019
Ashore Kilada Greece

Matt Salatino

The clutch went out on our first Raymarine linear drive unit, after 17 years and 3 Atlantic crossings. The second was trouble-free, up to the time I sold the boat, 12 years later. I did carry a spare.
~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Nov 16, 2019, at 1:38 PM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

I  delighted with my Raymarine Autopilot. It has been great but it is now 13 years old. Having done a lot of hand steering on my first boat, we only had a servo pendulum windvane, I know how tedious it can be. I would much rather be light on crew but have autopilot back up.
So how reliable do other owners find these Raymarine autopilots? Am I just lucky?

To that end I am thinking of buying a spare to have on board, including a new linear drive unit.

The new Raymarine would be the obvious choice;
Exactly same linear drive unit
New fancy heading sensor EV1
ACU400 drive
P70 control

Does anyone have any thoughts.

Nick
Amelia AML54-019
Ashore Kilada Greece

Paul Osterberg

We installed the kit you referring to about 18 month ago, I still have my old Autohelm installed, Installed a switch for swapping between them. I am not totally sold on the new Raymarine had expect it to perform better. Very good up wind, but as soon as you get the wind aft of the beam it start to swing from side to side, after some tweaking and upgrade of software it is now better but fare from excellent.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi,

I installed an ACP 400 with hydraulic ram directly on the bell crank of the rudder.

Far smoother than the electric one which is still on tthe he helm.

In the event of a major steering failure, I can steer the boat through. The AP controls after disconnecting the offending rack and pinion... without resorting to hand steering for days on end.

System is like Paul on Kerpa.

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 17 Nov 2019, at 08:00, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

We installed the kit you referring to about 18 month ago, I still have my old Autohelm installed, Installed a switch for swapping between them. I am not totally sold on the new Raymarine had expect it to perform better. Very good up wind, but as soon as you get the wind aft of the beam it start to swing from side to side, after some tweaking and upgrade of software it is now better but fare from excellent.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Nick,
We have both the linear drive on the quadrant and a rotary drive , both Raymarine , with a switch over . Not missed a beat in 19 years and 63,000 miles . Pochon in Hyeres ( v. good ) took both off the boat after about 55,000 miles and serviced them but said but said both were in good condition

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen SM 302 Kilada

On 16 Nov 2019, at 18:38, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I delighted with my Raymarine Autopilot. It has been great but it is now 13 years old. Having done a lot of hand steering on my first boat, we only had a servo pendulum windvane, I know how tedious it can be. I would much rather be light on crew but have autopilot back up.
So how reliable do other owners find these Raymarine autopilots? Am I just lucky?

To that end I am thinking of buying a spare to have on board, including a new linear drive unit.

The new Raymarine would be the obvious choice;
Exactly same linear drive unit
New fancy heading sensor EV1
ACU400 drive
P70 control

Does anyone have any thoughts.

Nick
Amelia AML54-019
Ashore Kilada Greece

ngtnewington Newington

Maybe I should just stick with what I got and not worry about it?

If it ain’t broke .....
Nick

S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019

[...]

hanspeter baettig

Hi JP
we have similar boats number, therefore can yo maybe send me pics about the installation of the AP under the aft cabin bed. Thank you. my email: hanspeterdot beattig at bluemail dot ch

regards Hanspeter
Tamango 2
SM16
Antigua