Topics

Folding Prop

Daniel Frey

Check out message number 213 from 2002.

To find it, enter 213 into the field: Msg #

Ian Park

Arnold
I have no experience with an auto prop. I don’t know if it folds up if you leave the throttle lever in neutral.

For the prop shaft alternator to work you must:
Switch off the engine and take out the ignition key
Put the gear lever in neutral
(You should hear the prop shaft turning quite fast)
Put the other key attached to the ignition key in the prop shaft lock (on the 12v panel above the galley) and turn it on
The prop shaft revolutions slow down and a green light comes on to show the alternator is charging
( both keys are on a welded key ring so you cannot have the engine running with the prop shaft alternator)

To turn off:
Put the gear lever in REVERSE, never in forward.
(This stops the prop alternator and the green light goes out)
Remove keys
Put gear lever in neutral
Start engine again.

As I say, I have no experience of the autoprop so you may need advice from SM owners.
I am guessing your boat originally had a fixed propellor and this was changed. The previous owner probably wanted to leave the original equipment on the boat.

Ian

Ocean Hobo
SN 96 (Wintering in Caernarfon, North Wales)

Volker Hasenauer

Hello All,

yes, my boat having the shaft alternator and I am happy that I posted the question...otherwise I would have overlooked this matter that the folding prob may be counterproductive.

I am curious to read what reply to Arnold's email will come up.....

 - I will be soon offline for 2 weeks - no Internet, no mobile for 2 weeks.

Volker
SY Aquamarine
Santorin 027
Malaysia

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 10:38 PM Arnold Mente via Groups.Io <Arnold.mente=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,
sorry to attend with a question! I am Arnold with the SM 203. I bought the boat this year and I also have a shaft alternator in connection to my Autoprop. First I did´n check if it
is working ready. I also out of understanding how it should work with a Autoprop. On my panel is a warning not to use when engine running! Have only test if the shaft with Autoprop turns with engine off under sails and he do!
How is the correct operation of the shaft alternator?
Engine OFF
Gear reverse
Switch shaft alternator ON????

Can anybody give me the procedure?????

Thank you

Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203

Am 17.11.2019 um 09:49 schrieb Ian Park via Groups.Io <sunbeat2=icloud.com@groups.io>:

Volker,
Doesn’t your Santorin have a propellor shaft alternator?
I don’t think you can use this with a folding prop.
I would not be without the electricity this gives me. My batteries are almost always 100% charged when sailing with all instruments and autopilot working.
Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Arnold Mente

Ian Park <sunbeat2@...>

Volker,
Doesn’t your Santorin have a propellor shaft alternator?
I don’t think you can use this with a folding prop.
I would not be without the electricity this gives me. My batteries are almost always 100% charged when sailing with all instruments and autopilot working.
Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Herbert Lackner

Hi Volker,

If you have the shaft alternator installed I would keep the fixed prop. The shaft alternator on the SN is excellent for cruising.

Fair winds and have fun with your SN

Herbert, SN120, Kali Mera, Mazatlan

Matt Salatino

A feathering prop has better control at only a minimal increase in drag over a folding prop.

On Nov 16, 2019, at 11:18 PM, Volker Hasenauer <volker.hasenauer@...> wrote:

Hello Santorin Owners,

I just bought a Santorin (Hull # 027) and playing with the Idea of having a folding prop instead of the fixed one - does anyone having experience with this.

Volker
SY Aquamarine
Santorin 027

Volker Hasenauer