Topics

Down wind pole corrosion/replacement

Thomas Kleman

As I mentioned in an earlier post, a large bulging crack emerged from under the black collar on my inner down wind pole. My welder confirmed that the inner end sleeves are corroded and burst through the aluminum tube. I've contacted Maud to see if the ends are in stock or where they came from. Any sourcing suggestions would be appreciated, as the welder says he can't make a long term fix given the situation. If I can salvage the ends or source them, not sure where to source the tube...

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Tom and Kristin,

I broke one of my baby poles on Pacific passage and lost the end fitting overboard.  I used the other one as a model and had a copy made in NZ.  The pole itself is available at any good rigger.

GL

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Opua, NZ

On 19 Nov 2019, at 10:46, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, a large bulging crack emerged from under the black collar on my inner down wind pole. My welder confirmed that the inner end sleeves are corroded and burst through the aluminum tube. I've contacted Maud to see if the ends are in stock or where they came from. Any sourcing suggestions would be appreciated, as the welder says he can't make a long term fix given the situation. If I can salvage the ends or source them, not sure where to source the tube...

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422

Alan Leslie

Hi J-P,

I noticed that your poles are quite different to ours...not surprising SM007 cf SM437
Ours, as probably SM422 are quite a lot bigger in diamtre and the end fittings are quite different.
We had also this probleme with corrosion of the Al caste end. We managed to get it out and grind it down to fit the tube, cleaned out the tube end, coated it with lanocote before reassembling, and it has been fine ever since.

Cheers from Gulf Harbour...antifoul done today, propspeed tomorrow, relaunch Thursday

Alan
Elyse SM437

Thomas Kleman

Wow- thanks Alan; Maud told me just now the ends are available but it didn't occur to me that there might be different SM pole configurations.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

I also have about 6 small (2mm dia) holes that are right through one of our baby poles. All these are within about 50cm, but are not located in the vicinity of the pole attachments. It looks like these have occurred with the baby pole resting in the same position for an extended period of time. Will look at rotating and flushing with fresh water in future.

May have to replace pole next winter in Turkey.

Ross and Donna
SV INTREPID KIWI
SM2K 356
Currently in Croatia