Topics

Mizzen furler

Patrick McAneny

When we unfurled the mizzen sail to store it for the winter the sail came out but then became difficult to turn. The furler will only turn about a quarter of the way either direction. Its not the swivel where the sail's head attaches . I have never had an issue with the furler until now. I suppose it could be the furler's gear box , but my question is. Is there a bearing at the top of the mast that may be causing the binding ? I need to decide to pull or not ,both of the masts by next Monday and put the boat in a shed to repaint ,or leave the mast up and have it painted outside. I was leaning towards leaving the masts up until this problem,if its a bearing at the top of the mast it would be easier to deal with on the ground.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

James Alton

Pat,

   I would try detaching/disengaging the mizzen furlers gearbox from the extrusion.  This would allow you to determine where the binding is.  I will leave the specifics of how to detach the extrusion to other SM owners since my boat is a Maramu and the process might be different.  To your other question, yes there has to be a bearing at the top of the mast as well.

Best,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Nov 26, 2019, at 3:34 PM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

[...]

James, I realize there must be some sort of bearing at the top of the mast, I guess I should be asking if anyone has had a problem with it seizing up. I will take your suggestion and seperate  the gearbox from the extrusion ,that will confirm where the problem is located.
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123

[...]

Hi Pat,
There is not an upper extrusion bearing up there - it's just the swivel that centers the furling extrusion when the sail is up. With the sail down the extrusion just bangs around freely. Same as the mainsail. Not sure from your post if you got the sail down - sounds like you did - so if it is still binding with the sail down it has to be at the bottom.
Sounds like you're not in desperate aesthetic need to repaint so the economical choice may be to leave the masts up and work on the bottom in situ.
Fwiw, Craig

Patrick McAneny

Craig, I assumed that there had to be a bearing at the top of the extrusion and did not realize the swizel served double duty . That is a very helpful piece of info ,and yes I did get the sail down. I guess that is all I need to know ,looks like a gearbox problem.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

There is not an upper extrusion bearing up there - it's just the swivel that centers the furling extrusion when the sail is up. With the sail down the extrusion just bangs around freely. Same as the mainsail. Not sure from your post if you got the sail down - sounds like you did - so if it is still binding with the sail down it has to be at the bottom.
Sounds like you're not in desperate aesthetic need to repaint so the economical choice may be to leave the masts up and work on the bottom in situ.
Fwiw, Craig

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Pat,

Almost certain to be salt build up. The carribean salt is brutal. Rinse all moving parts with floods of fresh water. Over the top of the gearbox,up the input shaft, the swivel or spinner as I call it at the top of the sail. (Lower it first). all blocks, cars, turning blocks. Allow to dry and liberally apply silicone spray. You will be gob smacked at the result. To unfurl my mizzen since I did this I just pull the out haul by hand and brrrrrrt out it goes. I know its too simple and I expect some cynicism, but give it a try.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 27 November 2019 at 08:34 "Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

[...]

Pat and Craig,

   That is very interesting that apparently the SM and SN do not have any kind of top bearing for the main and mizzen furler extrusions,  I learned something too!   My boat does have a bearing of some sort at the top,  I have not gotten in there yet to see what it is. If I drop the gear box and disengage it from the extrusion it just hangs there from the top bearing/pivot. My boat is the Maramu so apparently was built differently.

   Best of luck Pat with solving your problem.

James
Maramu #220

On Nov 26, 2019, at 8:41 PM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny, I wish we had not already drained our water system, the marina has as well, its starting to get cold here.I think I will take the gearbox apart and take home ,clean & grease. I may pull the masts to put the boat in a shed for repairs and to be repainted this winter . I am not really sure I want to be " gob smacked " ,sounds painful , but being married I am use to abuse, and if the mizzen furls easier that it might be worth it .
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

[...]

"Gob smacked" is a Kiwi colloquialism (saying) for very, totally, completely, utterly  amazed. (and any other adjectives you can think of) The salt levels in the Caribbean are higher, or so it seemed to my observation. The build up of salt on the rails and the rust on stainless is much greater than other places. You have just had a season there which is why i am sure it is salt causing your "never before" problem. The tropical Pacific has similar salt issues and I find the same sort of thing affecting furlers, blocks, cars and anything else that moves. Many SM owners including me have found the mizzen hard to unfurl requiring some effort on the winch handles. Now I have eliminated the salt from all those points mine unfurls with a tug on the outhaul line, no winch winding needed, on either the outhaul or the gearbox.

I was "gob smacked"

Cheers

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 28 November 2019 at 02:40 "Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark McGovern

Pat,

Gary Silver uploaded a file with an excellent write-up on overhauling the Mizzen Furler called "SM Mizzen Furling Gearbox Overhaul".  You can find it in the files section if you search for "SM Mizzen Furling Gearbox Overhaul" or find the link at the bottom of this post:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/message/48035?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,gary+silver+mizzen,20,2,0,34250823
--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Patrick McAneny

Danny, I think you may be onto something, last week I only had a few minutes to deal with the furler and it appeared that the swivel moved freely. Today I discovered that it only rotated freely an inch or so in either direction and stopped ,so I assumed my problem was elsewhere. I doused it with water and with winch handle was able to get it to rotate ,although it comes to a spot and wants to stop ,but with a little more effort it moves past that spot. I will douse it again with warm water and then lubricate it . have you ever added any grease to the gearbox?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

[...]

Mark, That was very informative ,the files contain a wealth of info ,especially Gary's .
Thank You Both,
Pat
SM#123