Topics

Parasailor on A54

Laurens Vos

Yes a video would help to get a better understanding how you did

Scott SV Tengah

Thanks for the photos Joerg. The video would be helpful so I can understand it better. Or more accurately, so I can come up with better questions. :)
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Joerg Esdorn

Hi Scott, a few thoughts.

1. I agree with you that the bow pulpit is not strong enough to take the load of the guys.

2.  I would do what you are suggesting - use the ring - with a few twists.  When you are flying the Parasailor on a broad reach or downwind, the guys will be pulled forward and the strap will chafe on your bow seat.  I think you will need to take that seat off.  Alternatively, you will need to attach a third strop to the ring and lead it to a point aft so that it prevents the ring from moving forward.  Or, mount a stainless strip that has a rigid eye above and aft of the board.

3. Rather than using blocks, you should use rings like the Antal rings I use.  Cheaper and they don’t bang around.  See the pic I posted.

4. If you use the Tacker, you don’t need the guys at all.  I really like the Tacker since it stabilizes the sail a lot and simplifies rigging the sail.  The downside is that it puts loads on a small part of the forestay foil and chafes on the rolled up Genoa   I think only time will tell whether this is a problem.  Lots of people use the Tacker for their cruising chutes so I suspect its ok

5.  To prevent the leeward sheet from rising too high, you may need a barberhauler.  I use an opening eye over the sheet attached to a line run to one of the cleats on the leeward side deck for this.

I have posted pictures of the setup on my boat which may help you.  I also have a video I could send you.  I hope this helps.  Cheers. Joerg

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53
Kincsem

Scott SV Tengah

Hi all,

I just purchased a used Parasailor (169sq meters) for my A54 and had a bit of trouble flying it the first time, going dead downwind. With our rolling, the Parasail tacks/foot area was chafing against the rolled up Genoa as it rolled with the swell and when we tried to ease the sheets/guys to fly it out further forward, the Parasailor rose up rather than going further forward.

Per the suggestion of the seller, another A54 owner, for DDW I ran the port/starboard guys to the Genoa car, which was positioned as far forward as possible. The guy lines then went to the staysail turning block and then the big cockpit winches. The sheets went directly from the Parasailor clews to the Genoa turning blocks and then the small cockpit winches.

I believe a solution would be to run the guy lines down to the bow roller area, which is what the attached official Parasailor instructions specify. Now the question is where on the A54. On the attached photo of my bow area, I believe a solution would be to put two blocks on the ring that I'm holding, circled in red. That ring is attached via webbing to two shackles to the bow roller. Normally I attach the code zero furler to that and it works great. Perhaps with this solution, I can jibe the Parasailor as per the attached instructions. Thoughts?

Another idea I'm less excited about is to attach it to the liferails. When I purchased the boat, the previous owner had two blocks attached to the little welded loops far forward on the life rails, circled in blue - what he used them for, I'm not sure. And well, his English isn't great, so difficult to ask. My thinking is that these welded loops are definitely not strong enough and even if I attached the blocks to the forward end of the life rails, I'm not sure the whole life rail assembly and attachment system is strong enough.

The final solution is what Dmitris (Alma Libre Too) did which is have a bow roller extension added. I don't like that solution as I use the bow roller for the anchor rode snubber and also attachment lines for mooring balls, as you can see in this photo from our current location in Bonaire. A bow roller extension would interfere with these lines as the boat rotates.

I have how seen Ashia, an SM2K did it, but I don't think we can attach directly to the shackles at the bottom of the webbing strop you see in the photo, as that may rub on the teak bow seat. I read Joerg's post about it but perhaps he and others can chime in on how they would do it on my setup?

Thanks all!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69