Topics

Water heater troubleshooting

Paul,

I should have said, to first look for a loose or corroded connection. CorrosionX is your friend.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 10:31 AM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill, I’ll check that. The entire heater was replaced 5 years ago.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: 27 December 2019 11:41
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Water heater troubleshooting

If I had this problem, I would check for 220VAC at the heating element terminals. If you have 220VAC at the terminals, it is the heating element, which is not difficult to change on a 54 Isotemp Basic. It is also the most common failure with a life of 6-12 years, depending on use.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School - www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019, 9:28 AM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Hi All,

My hot water heater has stopped heating the water. I’m guessing its either the thermostat or the heating element. Would anyone be able to give me a pointer as to how best to find out which one is at fault? The heater is an Isotemp Basic type 40HXCV.

Cheers, and Season’s Greetings!

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Thanks Bill, I’ll check that. The entire heater was replaced 5 years ago.

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: 27 December 2019 11:41
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Water heater troubleshooting

If I had this problem, I would check for 220VAC at the heating element terminals. If you have 220VAC at the terminals, it is the heating element, which is not difficult to change on a 54 Isotemp Basic. It is also the most common failure with a life of 6-12 years, depending on use.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi All,

My hot water heater has stopped heating the water. I’m guessing its either the thermostat or the heating element. Would anyone be able to give me a pointer as to how best to find out which one is at fault? The heater is an Isotemp Basic type 40HXCV.

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Paul;

We had the same issue December 2016 while winter sailing in Greece (Not a great idea by the way). We decided to change the entire unit due to age and other potential problems that could pop up later. It was a 4 hour job, but ended up with a new unit that should be trouble free for years. There were signs of corrosion in other parts in the tank, but the tank itself seemed to be in fair shape. The new tank also has a mixing valve that allows cold water to be mixed in at the outlet of the water heater preventing scalding hot water to be delivered to the faucets. It also makes the water heater more efficient by not filling the water supply line with max temperature hot water, every time you turn on the hot water at the faucet.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2019 7:29 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Water heater troubleshooting

Hi All,

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi All,

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi All,

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98