Topics

Water in far forward cubby in V berth

karkauai

Hi everyone, hope you are all having a great holiday and sailing season.

we have just discovered very damp carpeting in the open storage space all the way forward on the port side of the V Berth (next to the shelves over the bow thruster).  The water is mostly on the forward wall shared by the port bow locker (where the security rope comes thru to cleat the locker hatch down.)  It is salty to taste.  The bow locker is dry (for the first time in two years since I replaced the seals ;-)> ).

Needless to say the mildew is already starting to grow.

Other than we vacuuming the carpet as best I can, and treating for mold, would you do anything else to the carpeting?

Any ideas where this water might be getting in?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Happy New Year!
Kent & Iris
S/V Kristy SM 243
Palm Beach FL heading S

James Alton

Kent,
  Sorry to hear about the wet carpet and mildew problem.  Since the carpet is soaked with salt water, you must remove the salt or else the carpet will stay forever damp since salt can pull moisture out of the air.  Rinse with fresh water as best you can.  Suck out as much of the water as possible with a wet/dry vacuum then dry the carpet with a dehumidifier and fans.  I would probably use a mild bleach solution to kill the mold and of course rinse everything that the bleach was applied to with fresh water since the bleach is corrosive.  Best of luck.

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Dec 28, 2019 5:02 PM, "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:
[...]

I assume that you have eliminated obvious sources like hatch and fixed plexiglass ports. So...this may be a long shot, but, check the RTV seal on the cable from the Genoa furler where it meets the stainless tube. I have seen water enter here and follow the cable until it bends, then drip-drip. There could be enough salt on the cable and deck to make it taste salty.

Like I said, the above is a long shot.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Dec 28, 2019 5:02 PM, "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks James and Bill.  I’ll see where that cable goes and check it out.  James, I’d hoped you’d have a magic potion that would take the salt right out.  Maybe potatoes or rice? :-)

Kent & Iris
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Dec 28, 2019, at 6:10 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan Leslie

It could be the hatch seals on the port bow locker.... if you get water over the bow and the hatch seals are leaking, the water will wick down the security rope ans ewnd up on the wall of that small internal locker.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

David Kurtz

Not that much of a long shot.  Bill was on my boat in October and spotted the same thing.  Once I re-sealed the cable from the Genoa furler my forward lockers dried right up.  Amazing how much water can leak down that cable!

Dave
--
Dave Kurtz
SM2 #380