Topics

Recommentation for Sharki second autopilot

Volker

A second autopilot is now installed on Mickmoon and is working fine. It became a Raymarine Evolution EV200 with a Jefa DD1 direct drive unit.

I have sailed with the new auto pilot during the last 3 months in the baltics and I am very pleased with the performance

Volker
Mickmoon, Sharki hull 176

Aras <aras.grinius@...>

If you do this it would great to see how you take this action
Aras
Sharki #163

Volker

Dear all,
thank you for all the information shared about the second autopilot topic.
As I have learned from Graham, obviously the newer Sharki models do have a longer mizzen boom and the interference with a wind vane seems then to be a problem.

I think I will concentrate on installing a second drive mounted directly to the rudder stock in the aft cabin and probably will add a second course computer, as my old Autohelm 6000 system does allow a connect to the Hydra 330 wind data.
Regards,
Volker
Sharki#176

JOHN HAYES

GrahamJohnston42 <grahamjohnston42@yahoo.com>

Hi Volker,
Your Sharki 176 had a longer mizzen boom than the older models and it over hangs the transom and is likely to foul a windvane unless you with lift the boom. I have seen it done with the clew of the mizzen being recut and raised by a foot or two. It looks strange but it works.

My preference was to fit a Raymarine Type 2 short linear drive directly to the rudder stock as  I had only just made and fitted a bathing platform on the transom and wanted to be able to use it for boarding.
I mounted on it the Std side in the aft cabin. Space is tight but it will fit under the berth. Getting the geometry correct when making the rudder tiller bracket was interesting but simple enough.

I used changeover switch mounted above the rotary drive above the galley to switch between the linear and rotary drives. A forty amp four pole switch was used as you need to switch the clutch connections as well as the motor supply.
The course computer is a Raymarine S2 with associated fluxgate compass and rudder indicator.
Both the rotary and linear drive have the same designation within the computer software and so no adjustment is necessary when switching drives.
I bought a complete new S2 package off Ebay to duplicate the whole control system which could be sold in the future. Fitting a gyro made downwind sailing much more comfortable.
The system has worked now for some eight or nine years and 10,000 nm or more including two Transats.
If all the files were transferred from the Yahoo forum then photos of the installation should be on this forum.
Regards,
Graham
Sharki 181

Aras <aras.grinius@...>

On my Sharki I have a Simrad AP28 CONTROLLER, RAYMARINE MOTOR mounted just above in the galley. It came with the boat. I also had a 2nd unit which was a RAYMARINE 3000 wheel mount.

I trashed the 3000. The mount interfered with helmsman, and was only good in calm conditions.

Rainer Huthmacher

Hi Volker,
My email is thelastoneever@...

On 30. Dec 2019, at 16:03, Volker <Puchta@...> wrote:

Hi Rainer,
which Windpilot do you have installed? Would be great if you can share a picture.
Thank's
Volker Puchta
MickMoon Sharki#176

Volker

Hi Bill,
good recommentation. Thank you very much.
This may be the easiest way. Just have to find some of the old parts on the market.

Best Regards,
Volker Puchta
MickMoon Sharki#176

Volker

Hi Rainer,
which Windpilot do you have installed? Would be great if you can share a picture.
Thank's
Volker Puchta
MickMoon Sharki#176

Volker

Hi Warren,
the autopilot drive is connected to the steering wheel. It is a rotary drive from Autohelm and was installed originally by Amel when MickMoon was build in 1989.
This autopilot does work quite well with some limitations on strong winds and wave from the back. The more modern autopilots will do much better as they do have modern motion sensors and better software.
Regards,
Volker Puchta
MickMoon Sharki#176

Rainer Huthmacher

On my Sharki I use a Windpilot with it’s own rudder...not cheap, but after 2 years it’s some of the best money I spent.
My Neco is also 40 years old and still works perfect but I like the Windpilot for its quietness and no need for electricity plus it gives me an emergency rudder ....
Rainer
Sharki#82 Rock’n Roll
Currently in Fuerteventura

On 30. Dec 2019, at 14:39, Giorgio Ardrizzi <giorgio.ardrizzi@...> wrote:

Hi Warren, of course a pilot mounted on the wheel will never have the power of a fixed one installed on the rudder.  However, I still have his original Neco driver who is not kidding in terms of power, although the electronics are 40 years old, so quite stupid!
The Navico is mounted sideways and does not create problems with the bulkhead. You have to test based on the pilot you want to buy.
I use it as a reserve in the event of an emergency going by motor, if unfortunately the Neco breaks.  When sailing, I use the wind vane which has all the power and sensitivity I need on any occasion.  However, what I can tell you is that the Sharki is a well balanced and light boat at the helm and if you hoist the right sail, even a pilot on the wheel could get along quite well.  However, if you intend to face big journeys you must have a powerful and reliable pilot and not just a pilot on the wheel.

Il Dom 29 Dic 2019, 19:41 Warren Traill <trailz@...> ha scritto:

Hi Giorgio. I also own a Sharki. I've been sailing with no autopilot for some years now in SE Asian waters. I am seriously considering a wheel mounted pilot but am constantly advised that they would be unsuitable for a vessel of the size of the Sharki and also because of the close proximity of the wheel to the bulk head.
Can you advise me of the performance of your wheel mounted pilot?
And any comments from other s would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Warren Traill
Manon2
Sharki#15

On 30 Dec 2019 1:33 a.m., Giorgio Ardrizzi <giorgio.ardrizzi@...> wrote:
On my Sharki I installed a Windpilot that also works as an emergency rudder. No problem with mizzen.  Then I also have a Navico electronic pilot installed externally on the steering wheel.
The idea of ​​having all the spare parts of a Raymarine seems good, but a friend of mine this year during the crossing from Cabo Verde to Martinique broke the wheel rack and had to helm a SM for 1300 miles with the emergency bar!
If you don't want to install a wind pilot I highly recommend you try installing a Raymarine directly on the rudder.
Best
Giorgio Ardrizzi - Sharki # 1
In Prickly Bay, Grenada

Il Dom 29 Dic 2019, 11:34 Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> ha scritto:
I belive the mitzen boom will end with the deck it is no problem to insal a wind vane on my old euros 39 it was instalt one an sailomat 3040
If you like the salilomat sen me a mail
Best Elja
SM 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

<20191230_103720.jpg>

marty hameline

Hi warren,
What Windvane do you use?
Was just looking at a monitor ..
Cheers
Martin Hameline

On Dec 30, 2019, at 9:39 AM, Giorgio Ardrizzi <giorgio.ardrizzi@...> wrote:

[...]

Giorgio Ardrizzi

[...]

Gerhard Mueller

My Sharki has still the original equipped Neco 392 autopilot. The best autopilot I ever have seen and used. It works even with wind and waves from backwards when most autopilots fails and gave up. Sadly the Neco are not manufactured anymore. When you see a used one for selling buy it.

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Warren Traill

[...]

Matt Salatino

Great advice.
Exactly what we do, except for selling it later. We let our spare go with the boat when we sold it.
We found all of the components, used, but serviceable, on line....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Dec 29, 2019, at 9:35 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

There are 5 components to your Raymarine autopilot system:
Control Head
Course Computer
Drive Unit
Fluxgate Compass
Rudder Reference

A failure of any component can cause the system to fail. Individual components are easy and fast to install. Maybe you should consider having one of each of the components ready to go. You will likely have to search for a used Control Head and Computer, and can probably find the other components in new condition.

The used components can probably always be sold again for what you will pay for them. What I suggest is like "renting" a backup system at zero cost.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019, 6:36 AM Volker <Puchta@...> wrote:
Dear all,
hope everyone did have a great Chrismas and will have a good start into 2020.

We are starting to prepare our Sharki for the long passage from Europe to the Caribbean. Up to now we have sailed her in the Netherlands and Baltic sea and the installed Autohelm ST6000 autopilot worked quite well. But crossing an ocean, I think we should have a second backup system. Especially as we are a small crew of just two persons.
I know that Amel did install on the bigger models two autopilots, but I have never seen a second autopilot installed on a Sharki. The space in the aft cabin next to the rudder quadrat is quite limited. Even when a compact drive unit Like the Jefa DD15 may fit in, I am not sure whether it will work smoothly.
We also thought about wind pilots, but also not sure there as mizzen boom seems to long and may hit the wind vane.

Would be great to get some input from other Sharki owers
Best regards,
Volker

S/Y MickMoon - Sharki #176