Topics

New companionway lock source

Mark & Debbie Mueller

If you are near Brunswick, GA or stop at Brunswick Landing Marina as many transiting boats do I found today that Central Hardware on Norwich St. has the Y2 key blanks in stock.  They cut several keys for me.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

David Wallace

Keep checking around. I had two copies made at a little locksmith stall on the street in Loreto, Baja Sur, Mexico, so you never know...

On Jan 29, 2020, at 4:15 PM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 04:48 PM, Nicolas Klene wrote:
HI Arlo
 with the pictures and the référence I will try to inquire here in France and come back to you .

nick
--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico

 Thanks Nick!

Arlo

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 04:48 PM, Nicolas Klene wrote:
HI Arlo
 with the pictures and the référence I will try to inquire here in France and come back to you .

nick
--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille

 Thanks Nick!

Nicolas Klene

HI Arlo
 with the pictures and the référence I will try to inquire here in France and come back to you .

nick
--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille

Arlo

Hello all. Ok so I cut off the plastic cover on the key and below is what I found. Looks like it is a FH 13 KIS key....anyone know where these can be bought from?

Nicolas Klene

Hi Arlo
to me this key looks pretty standard , Kis is just a high street key cutter , like many other . Maybe another picture with the green cover off might help and revel a reference !
--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico

Arlo

That sounds like a great addition to anyone's Amel !

Arlo

Hello Nick. Thanks. Maybe you or Karen will recognize the key.

Aras <aras.grinius@...>

Karen is defintitely the source goddess. She amazing at locating impossibly sourced items.

Rumor as has it tat she can sense where the fish are and Bill just reaches in grabs one for dinner.

Aras
Sharki#163

Nicolas Klene

Hello Arlo
if you post a photo of your key ( if you have one left !) I will try to locate one in France for you .
regards
Nick

--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico

Arlo

Hello Karen, that would be awesome. We are in Port Canaveral but will ping you our next trip to Lighthouse Point. How long will you be in Fort lauderdale? Really appreciate the offer. I can also order a few Y2's to see if they work.

Karen Smith

The keys are “Y2” and weren’t easy to find, but Amazon has them! If you’re in the Fort Lauderdale area I have some extras you could have!

Karen Smith
S/v Harmonie , Fort Lauderdale

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi JP. You will need to take your key to mobile locksmith kaitaia.

Regards

Danny

On 04 January 2020 at 17:58 Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

Hey Danny,

Happy New Year.

Good to know regarding key blanks; I need 2 more keys

JPG
Jean-Pierre Germain

On 4 Jan 2020, at 17:55, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

I got mine done by the Kaitaia locksmith in New Zealand. He inovatively had to grind a bit to extend the blank. Worked well.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 04 January 2020 at 17:43 Drew Gaffney < drew.gaffney@...> wrote:

We have been able to obtain key copies in several countries including the US.  Bring an original key and take it to a good hardware store or locksmith.
Drew
SV REVELATION SM390
Lying Carloforte, Sardinia

Germain Jean-Pierre

[...]

Drew Gaffney

We have been able to obtain key copies in several countries including the US.  Bring an original key and take it to a good hardware store or locksmith.
Drew
SV REVELATION SM390
Lying Carloforte, Sardinia

Arlo

The lock that was in use I was able to find a keyblank for and had spares made, but naturally that was the lock that broke...

Arlo

Thanks for all the replies. I plan to visit the aboved referenced store in Miami during my next trip there. I have a spare lock but that is the one where the key has been difficult to find. All of the locksmiths I visited were true locksmiths and had walls of blanks...

ERIC LICHTY & ROBYN ATKINSON

Hello group, Eric and Robyn here, recent owners of SM Libby in the Pacific NW.  Regarding keys, we had best match from local keysmith, close, but didn't work.  With eyeball filing to work out difference from original we got the new ones to work.  Good luck and happy New year.

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020, 13:14 Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:
Hello all. So while my boat is hauled out and getting some work done I thought I would get some other smaller projects addressed. Anyone have any luck sourcing a new companionway lock? I am having difficulty getting a duplicate key made and thinking it may be easier to simply get a whole new lock.... mine measures about 81 x 36 mm. We are in the U.S.

David Kurtz

I did exactly that only 3 months ago when I purchased my SM2.  Any good locksmith will have matching blanks.  I believe it was a Yale lock.  The Home Depot/Walmart locksmiths were not able to match it, however.
--
Dave Kurtz
SM2 #380

Detroit, Michigan