From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, January 6, 2020 6:58 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] ringbolt in stbd bulward for ballooner halyard

Thanks Mike,

I'm glad to hear someone else had the same problem and that the only solution was to pull up on it.  I was going to be surprised if there was a nut buried under fiberglass that was free to spin.  I'll try putting a halyard on it and see what happens.  Finding the replacement bolt down here will be the bigger issue.

Thanks,
Duane
Currently in Guadalupe

Duane Siegfri

Thanks Mike,

I'm glad to hear someone else had the same problem and that the only solution was to pull up on it.  I was going to be surprised if there was a nut buried under fiberglass that was free to spin.  I'll try putting a halyard on it and see what happens.  Finding the replacement bolt down here will be the bigger issue.

Thanks,
Duane
Currently in Guadalupe

Duane Siegfri

Hi Gary,

Sounds logical, but alas, there is no access from inside that I can find.  Not even from the wiring compartment for the main mast.

Thanks,
Duane

Gary Silver

Hi Duane:  Are you referring to the ring bolt on top of the toe-rail just forward of the main mast chainplate?   If so you may find that it is secured from the back side with a nut instead of the mild steel imbedded in fiberglass method.  Several items, including some to the toe-rail mounted cleats are fixed from inside with nuts.  I can't remember for sure if the eye-bolt (aka ring-bolt) is one of them.  If it is, you can access it from within the starboard side hanging locker across from the forward head.  There is some foam stuffed up into the channel that is the underside of the toe-rail,  pull that down at the area where the bolt would be and see if there isn't a nut on the back side.

Hope this helps.
Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 # 335
Puerto Del Rey Marina, Puerto Rico

Tip of the day.  AC issues are capacitor caused until proven otherwise.  Just swapped out three more this trip.

Mike Ondra

Hi Duane,

We had a similar experience with this bolt on Aletes. The stbd eye bolt spun but would not extract. As I recall we contrived an assembly (leverage) to exert considerable upward force on the bolt and then turned it out. The port eyebolt sheared off so we drilled it out (with cobalt bit) and re-tapped the steel backer plate and installed the next size up British thread bolt. Neither job was easy. Attached rub rail drawing.

Best of luck,

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Martinique

I am working on the rusting bolts securing the stanchions.  There is a ringbolt on the stbd side (used to secure the halyard for the ballooner) on top of the bulwark that has some rust.  It appeared to be secured in the same way the stanchion base bolts are - threaded into embedded steel plates.

When I tried turning the bolt out it moved with the expected effort on a 12 inch long wrench, by which I mean it's not twisted off.  No matter how many rotations it does not advance out of the bulwark more than 1/8th of an inch or so. I'm assuming that somehow in the past someone stripped the threads, but it won't just pop out either.   It's just forward of the mast so I looked in the wire compartment that feeds the mast and there is no nut evident.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the ringbolt is stripped...any other ideas?

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer

Duane Siegfri