From: Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...>
To: main <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Jan 19, 2020 3:40 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Sailing higher latitudes

I remember seeing a post from...Jose? .... where he had routed some air con hose from the engine room fan outlet on the port side in to the cockpit
That seemed to me to be a really simple and good solution
Fortunately we don't need that.....
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Bengt Martensson

A tip from US. You can use the hot air from the engine rom, put an elbil and a pipe from the air ventilation.

Alan Leslie

I remember seeing a post from...Jose? .... where he had routed some air con hose from the engine room fan outlet on the port side in to the cockpit
That seemed to me to be a really simple and good solution
Fortunately we don't need that.....
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Arnold Mente

Am 14.01.2020 um 20:46 schrieb marklesparkle59 <marklesparkle59@...>:

I am enjoying the high latitudes chat. Thank you for your stories. Hoping for more.
Mark
Sea Hobo
Sharki #96

Sent from my Samsung device

Arnold Mente

Urbaniweg 12
7000 Eisenstadt

Tel: +43 660 6699019

arnold.mente@...
Hi,

I can recommend a Eberspächer Hydronic installed in my SM with exit at the helm position! It is excellent for sailing in cold period with a complete closure
of the cockpit!!

BR
Arnold
SY Zephyr
SM203

--
SY Zephyr SM203

marklesparkle59

I am enjoying the high latitudes chat. Thank you for your stories. Hoping for more.
Mark
Sea Hobo
Sharki #96

Sent from my Samsung device

Orion Martin

Thank you for your reply Ian, Judy and Peter. That is very encouraging that an SM would cope well in higher latitudes (provided adequate heating was on hand). I know all too well the central heating powers of a fine whisky, single malt or blended:)

As part of my research I was looking at steel hull boats for potential higher latitude sailing, but there were too many things about steel boats that I felt wouldn't provide the level of comfort that an SM could. As it is I regard the SM s close to perfect a boat as you can get ( for my needs anyway), however it was the durability of the boat that I was concerned with sailing higher latitudes. Your posts assuage any concerns I had about heating, condensation and durability. Wishing you fair winds:)

Peter Killen

Hi Orion,

When we owned Pure Magic (433) we sailed her from Ireland to Antarctica and back.  We had an eberspacher heater fitted from new and apart from it breaking down for one 24 hour period (due to a leak in the fuel line) it worked 24 hours per day faultlessly.  When not working, the temperature plummeted and it was intensely cold.  Our air-conditioning system could not cope.
We never had a problem with condensation on the windows.
We also sailed to Svalbard Labrador and Greenland and from time to time encountered plenty of ice.  Obviously one has to be very careful, but we never had too much problem pushing through.  I have never noticed any scratching damage from ice on either PM or on an earlier boat in which we were trapped for some time in ice.
Of course in certain conditions, a boat can be very badly damaged or indeed lost.  We came across one metal boat in Antarctica which was badly chewed up around the bow and stern areas and was remarkably lucky to have survived.
And yes it’s true.We did spend most of the time in Warm furry slippers, which we had purchased in Ushuaia and which were ideal.  With the cockpit area closed off by the curtain, we used to leave the companionway hatch open, and warm air from below made it very comfortable when helming!
We only used sea boots when on deck.

Peter Killen

On 14 Jan 2020, at 10:04, ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Hi Orion,

We spent a couple of seasons in the Beagle channel and know of at least two SMs that went to the Antarctic peninsula. One owner boasted  of cruising down there sitting in the cockpit with the cockpit curtain closed wearing his slippers .
We didn't find the cold a problem. We used the three reverse cycle Climmas to dry and ventilate the boat and we blessed our Eberspacher which we ran on a daily basis. The Eberspacher agent back in England couldn't believe he was the first guy to service it after 12 years.

 Plus, we had two domestic fan heaters on board, 2 and 3 kw, so if we came back to really cold boat we could put nearly 10,000 Btu through it in minutes.  We did put bubblewrap on the inside of the main hatch in the saloon . We had no condensation in the bilges.

 Sealing off the cockpit with the curtain or a full enclosure makes a huge difference.

 Winter  liveaboards in Scandinavia and North America survive quite happily so I wouldn't have any qualms about keeping warm in a cold climate.  Oh, and  never forget the central heating powers of a good malt whisky.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Kilada, Greece