Topics

Furler Top Swivel Santorin

Herbert Lackner

Hi Amelians,

I am working on KALI MERAs Genua Top Swivel.  It does not slide up and down easy, sticks to the foil under load. I cleaned the foil and used rigging lubricant, but still it does not go up and down smooth.  How is the connection between foil and swivel? Are there bearings or does it just slide (metal to metal).

Especially at the upper part of the foil there are already some scratches, I tried to polish them out, but you can see that the swivel creates theses scratches, and under load it "jams".  After polishing the foil and plenty of spray I can set the Genua, but it it is not as it should be.

Any ideas how to solve that?

thank you very much for your help

herbert
SN120, KALI MERA, Mexico

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

If the swivel is the same as on a SM, there is bearings.
We took ours apart and filed a document under files. I don’t renember the name if the doc but Genua Swivel or Forstay or something similar.

There is a lot if pictures how the swivel looks and how it works.

Regards
Ann-Sofie
on S/Y Lady Annila SM232, 1998.

Skickat från min iPhone

18 jan. 2020 kl. 20:50 skrev Herbert Lackner <herbert@...>:

Hi Amelians,

I am working on KALI MERAs Genua Top Swivel.  It does not slide up and down easy, sticks to the foil under load. I cleaned the foil and used rigging lubricant, but still it does not go up and down smooth.  How is the connection between foil and swivel? Are there bearings or does it just slide (metal to metal).

Especially at the upper part of the foil there are already some scratches, I tried to polish them out, but you can see that the swivel creates theses scratches, and under load it "jams".  After polishing the foil and plenty of spray I can set the Genua, but it it is not as it should be.

Any ideas how to solve that?

thank you very much for your help

herbert
SN120, KALI MERA, Mexico

<DSC01441-.JPG>

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Herbert,

I know this is too simple but wash it thoroughly to get the salt off. If you lube it with the salt there the lube just retains the salt. Thoroughly wash the swivel bearings too, before you lube them

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean pearl

On 19 January 2020 at 08:50 Herbert Lackner <herbert@...> wrote:

Hi Amelians,

I am working on KALI MERAs Genua Top Swivel.  It does not slide up and down easy, sticks to the foil under load. I cleaned the foil and used rigging lubricant, but still it does not go up and down smooth.  How is the connection between foil and swivel? Are there bearings or does it just slide (metal to metal).

Especially at the upper part of the foil there are already some scratches, I tried to polish them out, but you can see that the swivel creates theses scratches, and under load it "jams".  After polishing the foil and plenty of spray I can set the Genua, but it it is not as it should be.

Any ideas how to solve that?

thank you very much for your help

herbert
SN120, KALI MERA, Mexico

Herbert Lackner

Thx Ann-Sofie, I found the file - very good documentation!.  Unfortunately the SN Swivel seems to be different. I cannot see the inner plastic-tube, also the two other parts look different.

does anyone know if the SN swivel (1995) has an inner plastic tube or bearings? It seems to me that there are only two parts, an inner part that just slides on the foil and an outer part with bearings between inner and outer part.

@Danny: thx for the hint, will wash it with fresh-water.

herbert

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

You don’t see that tube unless you have dismounted the swivel.
Send an e-mail to Amel and ask, our boats are so close in year that it could be the same. Lady Annila is from 1998.

Hälsningar
Ann-Sofie Svanberg

Skickat från min iPhone

19 jan. 2020 kl. 01:22 skrev Herbert Lackner <herbert@...>:

Thx Ann-Sofie, I found the file - very good documentation!.  Unfortunately the SN Swivel seems to be different. I cannot see the inner plastic-tube, also the two other parts look different.

does anyone know if the SN swivel (1995) has an inner plastic tube or bearings? It seems to me that there are only two parts, an inner part that just slides on the foil and an outer part with bearings between inner and outer part.

@Danny: thx for the hint, will wash it with fresh-water.

herbert

marklesparkle59

Is it like this? There is a black plastic bush in the first photo between the furling foil and the sliding casting. I think that replacing the bottom bush will make sliding the casting up to the Genoa head to release the clamp much easier. This is on my long list of winter projects, any ideas welcome.
Mark Porter
Sea Hobo
Sharki #96

Sent from my Samsung device

JOHANN HOCK

Hi Herbert,
I have had the same problem.After cleaning the foil with the tool for setting the Pasatsail, wraped with a smooth cloth, it runs well. Try it several times; cleaning the cloth. at least I saoked a clean cloth with a lubricant.
Kind regards
Hans
SN BEWOHIHA

Thx Ann-Sofie, I found the file - very good documentation!.  Unfortunately the SN Swivel seems to be different. I cannot see the inner plastic-tube, also the two other parts look different.

does anyone know if the SN swivel (1995) has an inner plastic tube or bearings? It seems to me that there are only two parts, an inner part that just slides on the foil and an outer part with bearings between inner and outer part.

@Danny: thx for the hint, will wash it with fresh-water.

herbert

Herbert Lackner

I love this group!

@Hans: I did the same now, cleaned the foil several times, and it runs fine again, seems to be ok now. Next time we hoist the genua I will do this again. cleaning, cleaning, cleaning...  I am glad that I do not have to remove the furler...

@Ann-Sofie: the SN has a different swivel, nor GRP tube, Kali Mera ist from 1995, I think the last SNs have been build ~1996?, maye they changed it after that.

after a short sailing season we have to return to work, Kali Mera is relaxing in Mazatlan until October, with her new boat cover on. We made this last year and it turned out to be great. Temperature  inside is ~10 degrees C  lower, boat was absolutely clean and dry...   one of the "enhancements" I would do again.

fair winds
herbert, SN120, Kali Mera

Herbert Lackner

forgot the foto...

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all,

Never underestimate the friction of salt. It can slow or sieze any furler and can be corrected by simple washing. Most of us consider that solution too simple and try all sorts of expensive "solutions" instead. The same applies to all blocks pulleys etc.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl