Water ingress in the sailing locker of the A54
I'm on a bit of a quest to get my forward locker dry. So far I have identified/remedied 6 sources of water ingress:
1. Locker hinges are not very well embedded in Sikaflex causing leakage.
2. Twist locks are also not very well embedded in Sikaflex again causing leakage
3. The twist-lock shaft has a O-ring to keep the water out, it needs regular replacement. Southco (the manufacturer) has no service-sets, they expect you to buy new ones)
4. The Harken switches have a design-flaw. The top part (the part that has the movable lid attached to it) suffers from deformation at the screwholes causing the circular rubber part that you press to activate the switch to no longer be waterproof. The rubber is sandwiched between the top and lower part but the pressure on this rubber after some years is no longer even distributed because of deformation of the top part (see enclosed pictures).
5. The composite disc on which the Harken switch is mounted is not very well embedded in Sikaflex causing leakage.
6. The stainless tube that ducts the furler electrical cable below-decks is not very well embedded in Sikaflex causing leakage.
Also be aware the holes trough the deck have exposed multiply wood as core material. I found one hole with slightly wet core material.
I'm now awaiting the next tropical downpour to see if the locker stays dry...
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
You are well on your way to a solution. What about the drain path of the gutter around the hatch?
CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School - www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
On Fri, Jan 24, 2020, 8:13 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi Arno;toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
We had a very small evidence of leak(rust lines) at the through bolts that hold the bow stainless plate. Had to remove the bolts and reseal them.
We also had a recall from Amel to replace all deck push button switches. Amel provided all new switches and paid , I think, about 25 euros each for installation.
Mohammad & Aty
A54 B&B Kokomo #099
On Jan 24, 2020, at 7:46 PM, CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse@...> wrote: