Topics

Santorin C Drive leaks

Volker Hasenauer

Dear Amel Owners,

I bought my Santorin (027) 3 month ago and getting her ready for the first move - from the port I bought her to my home port in Langkawi/Malaysia. Its a trip of approx 1200 Nm - but round Singapore where authorities are very particular.

I checked many systems already and mostly they are in working order, however the C Drive reservoir has signs of water in it,so its obvious that the seal on the shaft has not doing well.

I have 2 questions at the moment:

1. what oil is needed for the C Drive - I presume ATF?
2. any idea to reduce the water/oil mix and top it up with clean oil? - there is NO possibility to haul out the boat where she is and I need to move her in this condition..... l hope the wind is with me and I do not need to run the engine too much...but there is a big chance that my luck is not always with me....

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Volker
Aquamarine/Amel Santorin (027)
currently Borneo/Malaysia

Arnold Mente

Hallo Volker,

attached you will find the manual and drawing for the C-Drive!!
The oil is the same as for engine 15/40!!
You must lift out for repair the seal.

Best

Arnold
SY Zephyr
SM 203

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Volker Hasenauer

Hi Arnold,

thanks for the Info!

So far my plan is to suck out as much as I can from the reservoir and/or gearbox and refill with clean oil....

Wish me luck for good wind so the engine will not been used that much,

cheers ,

Volker
Aquamarine(Santorin 027)
currently Borneo/Malaysia

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 6:57 PM Arnold Mente via Groups.Io <Arnold.mente=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Herbert Lackner

Hi Volker,

Amel uses now SAE90, 15/40 is also ok, but no ATF!  ATF is used for the gearbox, not for the drive.

herbert, SN120

Jean-Pierre Massicotte

Hello Volker, unfortunately you will have to change the seals to remedy this problem.
Normally when we change the seals we also change the wearable bushing. All available thrue Amel S.A.V. Santorin where produced with 2 différents Amel transmission, one small in aluminium or the same as SM in cast Iron. You need to know before ordering parts.

Regards

J P Massicotte, SN 51, Vanille

On Sat., Feb. 1, 2020, 06:46 Volker Hasenauer, <volker.hasenauer@...> wrote:
[...]

...thanks for the info received.....I will try my luck and see how I can move the boat.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 7:21 PM Herbert Lackner <herbert@...> wrote:
Hi Volker,

Amel uses now SAE90, 15/40 is also ok, but no ATF!  ATF is used for the gearbox, not for the drive.

herbert, SN120

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Volker,

I was on a voyage from Grenada to Panama when the oil in the reservoir became milky in colour. I had a long way to go so I just minimised engine use and Hauled out when I got to Colon at the Western end of the canal. No trouble in the 10 years since. I change the seals and wearing bearing at each 2 year haulout

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl