Topics

BOW THRUSTER

Bernd Spanner

Edited

Hi,

so finally my BT is back in again (SN). I had the impression that it has never had a overhaul since 25 years. But... amazingly all gears and bearings are still in excellent condition except the seals which were basically gone.
However, after everything was assembled again and connected to the motor, it worked perfectly up n down and more powerful left n right (with oil and not honey in the BT) but unfortunately after some tests the gear from the motor disconnected from the BT. Meaning Motor is turning but BT is dead. all screws are in and tight... I didnt have time to furthet investigate and will ne gone for a while now thinking about it...🧐
Anyone with the same experience or ideas?!
Also some pics attached
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

I think you completely disassembled the BT. Yours may be old enough that it has locking pins for the larger gear. If so, did you miss these pins:
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 3:41 AM Bernd Spanner <bernd.spanner@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Hi Bill,
the pin is in. From the sound what i hear it disconnected between the motor and the upper part of the shaft.
will check again when I am back from work in a few weeks.
what I think is strange that it worked well for a couple of times. If it would turn out to be the pin which fell out after a few runs I will weld it in.
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

Pietro Zaccari

Hi Bernd,
I bet 5 cent that the upper gear attached to the vertical axe became loose because it’s not easy to tight the bolt, that happens to us, so I retighten the bolt applying Loctite and I waited to dry out before pouring the oil.

Pietro
SM 364 BOLERO

Pietro and Bernd,

The small gear is held in place with a bolt and a key. And yes, Loctite should be used on the bolt.