Topics

Are Amel boats quiet?

Ruslan Osmonov

Hi, could you please let me know if Amel boats, SM specifically, are quiet boats? I’ve chartered Lagoon catamaran last week and it was a noise generating machine at anchorage and during passages.
They wrap standing rigging with plastic tubes and when wind blows above 10 knots those tubes start to vibrate and transfer noise to rigging and then hulls. When you are in a cabin it feels like airplane propeller right next to you. I was very surprised when I realized where the noise is coming from.
Also during sailing and at rolly anchorages boat flexed and squeaked a lot. I was not expecting so much squeaking from a 2 year old boat.
I know Amel’s are a different class of a boat and build quality, but would like to confirm  from this group what to expect. I’ve read marketing materials that bulkheads are glasses to hull and this eliminates squeaking, but what about all the other parts (floorboards, cabinets, etc)? Could you let me know how quiet Amel’s are and what to expect?

Thanks in advance for your help.
--

Germain Jean-Pierre

Mine has squeaks and creeks... it’s a boat!

However comparing a Lagoon catamoron to an Amel is carp.

:-).

On 18/02/2020, at 3:27 PM, Ruslan Osmonov <rosmonov@...> wrote:

[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi;

We have zero creeks or noise in any condition that we encountered so far. The construction of Amels are unlike any I had seen in the 4 year search, it took to select our boat. We started from a blank slate.

We spent 3 days at the factory, before we made our final decision and looked at the different stages of construction. All bulkheads are glassed to the hulls and the deck is glassed to the hull, while still in the mold. No mechanical connections, that we could see. When you look at the construction before the deck goes on, it is built like a honeycomb. Therefore, there is almost zero flex and twist. The twisting and flexing is what leads to different parts rubbing against each other and creating the noise. Ours is quiet in a blow or at a rolly anchorage.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

eric freedman

Hi,

Kimberlite is now almost 18 years old. We have about 65,000 Sea miles on her. We never have had a squeak or rattle.

It is quite quiet except when beating into very large waves. The boat never had any water below even when it was totally submerged probably 20 times in a hurricane. It was very strange to have to hold your breath in the cockpit with the sea over your head until the water quickly subsided. It was really cool  seeing just the masts sticking out of the water for a few seconds until the boat popped back up. When we have been knocked down all cabinets and hatches remained closed with very little flying around (Books etc).

There is no other boat that I would ever want to own.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

heinz@quetzal.berlin

Hello
I was at the boat show in La Rochelle with my wife two years ago. There we visited a Lagoon, a Hallberg-Rassy (beautiful yacht) and the New Amel 50.  As soon as we entered the boats, the loud creaking of the floor boards on the first two yachts could be felt and heard.
With the Lagoon, it must be said that a charter version is always different from an owner version.
A friend of mine wants to buy a catamaran and has the same problem. My objection here is that with a catamaran of similar size and price, the quality has to take a back seat.
In addition, these products are mass produced.
Thank God I own a 20 year old Amel Super Maramu 2000 and I can safely say that it is a very quiet boat. Nothing rattles, the floor is solid and all cupboards still close tight.
It is clear that there is always noise from shrouds, beating sails, ropes and waves while sailing. But these are minimized by the quality of the construction.
You should also not neglect the safety aspect when making your purchase decisions.
The Amel shipyard is also known for this.

Cheers HEINZ
SY Quetzal, SM 2000, 292

Am 18.02.2020 um 03:27 schrieb Ruslan Osmonov <rosmonov@...>:

[...]

Alan Leslie

Yes they are quiet....almost totally
We had an annoying squeak last year in big seas, it was traced to one of the bolts holding down the hard dodger. Tightened it and the others, squeak gone.
The only noise we have is from the sea running past the boat ( I quite like that), and sometimes going up wind and a bit overpowered, she slams.
We have lock downs on our opening floorboards to prevent them opening but I would have to say we have never had any cupboards come open, not even the drawers just forward of the nav station, and we have been in some pretty rough stuff sometimes.
I have never ever seen any boat that is as well constructed as our Amel SM 2000, and it was gratifying to see at La Rochelle last year the the new 50 and 60 are built in exactly the same way.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Paul Osterberg

Mine is very quiet no squiky sounds even during very uncomfortable passages. only a small sound from the wind screen/doghouse but that is a very minor issue. My friends sailing with us always comment that it is a very quiet boat
Paul on sykerpa SM#259

Ruslan Osmonov

Thank you all for your comments. This is what I thought and got confirmations from first hands. I knew the build quality is very different, but Lagoon is also in 1M+ range yacht, which made me wander.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease 🙂

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 5:03 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Mine is very quiet no squiky sounds even during very uncomfortable passages. only a small sound from the wind screen/doghouse but that is a very minor issue. My friends sailing with us always comment that it is a very quiet boat
Paul on sykerpa SM#259

--

Ryan Meador

I agree that SM is a very quiet boat.  Essentially no squeaking in big seas and wind, and a tiny bit of thermal expansion/contraction noise.  There is one way that the SM makes some noise though, and I feel it needs to be mentioned (there was even a thread about it not long ago): waves slapping against the stern.  This is most noticeable when the boat is empty (i.e. new to you).  Filling the boat with stuff, especially the stern locker, significantly reduces the noise.  You'll get used to it quickly, as well.  I don't recall hearing it in a long time, but it was very noticeable the first few days after we bought it.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA