Topics

Flowjet refrigeration pumps overhaul

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi all,

I attempted to refurbish a flowjet pump today, by simply cleaning up the diaphragms, checking the brushes and emptying a lot of carbon dust out. It then worked for about an hour . I would be most grateful if someone who has had experience at this could share it with me as I now have enough of these pumps to start a second hand store!

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

--
Cheers
Paul

Jamie Wendell

Paul, as you have probably read in another long thread about this very subject, you are not alone. Several of us are trying to come with a viable solution that we can all use to deal with these pumps.

Stay tuned if you can wait a bit. I have ordered some parts to construct a variable-speed drive brush-less motor as conceived by Oliver on Vela Nautica - waiting for the parts now. I have been in contact directly with him.

I will start a new thread if I am successful.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

Porter McRoberts

Lots of anticipation for this. Thanks Jamie.
Porter
A54-152 IBIS

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com

On Feb 25, 2020, at 8:47 AM, Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:

Paul, as you have probably read in another long thread about this very subject, you are not alone. Several of us are trying to come with a viable solution that we can all use to deal with these pumps.

Stay tuned if you can wait a bit. I have ordered some parts to construct a variable-speed drive brush-less motor as conceived by Oliver on Vela Nautica - waiting for the parts now. I have been in contact directly with him.

I will start a new thread if I am successful.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Thanks Jamie. Yes I have been following this thread about alternatives and wait in anticipation! I have not heard about anyone successfully refurbishing the flowjet.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

Paul, as you have probably read in another long thread about this very subject, you are not alone. Several of us are trying to come with a viable solution that we can all use to deal with these pumps.

Stay tuned if you can wait a bit. I have ordered some parts to construct a variable-speed drive brush-less motor as conceived by Oliver on Vela Nautica - waiting for the parts now. I have been in contact directly with him.

I will start a new thread if I am successful.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Porter McRoberts

On this issue.
Had a long conversation with Rob at Costal CLimate.  As usual, a very knowledgeable guy.
His thoughts.  Flojets are super reliable, AS long as they aren't drawing a lot of current, i.e. sucking hard against resistance, or pushing against resistance.

Often a change in pitch denotes strain, I’ve definitely been guilty of letting that go… and with in a short time, at least with my experience, the pump then fails, and off to either the junk yard, or later a take apart.  So now I’ll check amp meter if >1.2 amps check the flow and make sure the water paths are unobstructed.

Also… they tell me the frigoboat pump controller is very unreliable, as we've noted on the forum.

and 2 24 v pumps as it would have to wired to the 24v bus.

Just some thoughts…

Porter

A54-152

On Feb 25, 2020, at 10:29 AM, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

[...]

Teun BAAS

Same experience. Worked for a short while making me happy & proud and then quitting on me.

Endless story.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Currently on the hard @ THE BOAT WORKS YARD in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

February 26, 2020 16:27:59

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

I attempted to refurbish a flowjet pump today, by simply cleaning up the diaphragms, checking the brushes and emptying a lot of carbon dust out. It then worked for about an hour . I would be most grateful if someone who has had experience at this could share it with me as I now have enough of these pumps to start a second hand store!

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Porter McRoberts

What I didn’t make clear in previous text was that the 3x12.00$ pump relays effectively replaces the expensive and unreliable frigoboat pump controller. So a good, reliable and inexpensive option to have on hand.
Porter
Ibis A54-152