Topics

Leaking water heater

ofer magen

Hi to all,

Few month after buying my boat in 2015, i had a leakage from the inside part of the water heater.

I bought a new one from isotherm ,the same model -basic 40.
Since then , 3 more boilers were leaking and replaced  under warranty by the factory- very good service, but what can be the reason for the failure of 4 boilers in 5 years?

The pressure in the water system is 1-2.5 bar.
The heater has a security valve that opens in 7 bar.

Anyone experienced this?

Ideas welcome.

Thanks to the great group!

Ofer,
SY Alba
Amel 54 # 160
Cyprus

Matt Salatino

Many times, I’ve heard of people causing leaks  in water heaters from overtightening plumbing connections.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 27, 2020, at 3:36 PM, ofer magen <ofermagen@...> wrote:

Hi to all,

Few month after buying my boat in 2015, i had a leakage from the inside part of the water heater.

I bought a new one from isotherm ,the same model -basic 40.
Since then , 3 more boilers were leaking and replaced  under warranty by the factory- very good service, but what can be the reason for the failure of 4 boilers in 5 years?

The pressure in the water system is 1-2.5 bar.
The heater has a security valve that opens in 7 bar.

Anyone experienced this?

Ideas welcome.

Thanks to the great group!

Ofer,
SY Alba
Amel 54 # 160
Cyprus

ofer magen

Hi Mat,

The water heaters were installed by professionals that were sent by the factory.
It is something else...
The leakage was from the tank .

Ofer Magen

Craig Briggs

Hi Ofer,

Do you know where the leakage was from, other than "the inside part of the water heater"?  Having had 5 tanks fail in the 5 years since you got the boat is pretty amazing. Have you asked the factory or your mechanic what the problem has been?  Was it the same for all 5 heaters?

If you have an interest in chasing this down yourself you can take off the decorative SS jacket of a failed unit, then remove the insulation jacket, fill the tank and turn it on and perhaps see exactly where the "inside part" is leaking. You'll want it to get hot since it may only leak when it's hot.  As Yogi Berra said, "You can observe a lot by looking around".

I did see a post on another db that Isotemp had to redesign the thermostat circuitry of the Basic model because the heating coil wasn't being shut off and that caused overheating that distorted the tank, but that doesn't sound like your issue.

Years ago I had leakage from the bottom of my tank from pin holes of corrosion from particles of heating elements that had broken off when I replaced them. I cleaned them out and patched with JB Weld years ago. Certainly not your problem with brand new units repeatedly failing (mine is now 15 years old).

Good luck with it,
Craig
Craig

ofer magen

Hi Craige,

Thanks for your advice.

Till now the people from the factory took the old boilers with them,and i couldn't check where in the tank  the leak was.

A new water heater was delivered, so this time I will check it.

Regards,

Ofer Magen

Arno Luijten

Given the speed an frequency this is happening, you may want to check for galvanic corrosion. If the ground cable on your water-heater is somehow carrying a voltage potential this may cause accelerated corrosion of the tank, especially with the high temperatures inside the tank.

My water heater lasted about 10 years before a leak developed between the tank and the engine-cooling-water circuit resulting in water being pushed into the cooling circuit. The tank itself still looked very good.

Also be aware sediment may accumulate inside the tank causing places where crevice corrosion can happing much faster.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

ofer magen

Thanks Arno,

I will check it.

After the replacement of the water heaters, I will open the leaking one .

Regards,

Ofer Magen