Topics

Front furler Bamar MEJ upgrade to EJF? Is it worth it?

Porter McRoberts

Copy that. Thanks C. 

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 
Www.fouribis.net

On Jul 14, 2020, at 1:33 PM, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...> wrote:

no I don't all that you need to do is have the Stainless cut closer to the deck then finish the edges to avoid chafing cheers

-----Original Message-----
From: Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts@...>
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jul 14, 2020 1:16 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Front furler Bamar MEJ upgrade to EJF? Is it worth it?

Courtney. 
Do you have a photo of your modification to the cable routing that allows drainage?  
Might be quite helpful 
Thank you!!

Porter
A54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 
Www.fouribis.net

On Jul 14, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

It was. Just a switch. I always feel like I’ve been given a gift when the anticipated worst does not occur.   
Thanks  Courtney, Scott. 
Porter A54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 
Www.fouribis.net

On Jul 14, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...> wrote:

Porter the water caused corrosion in the brake which then caused the motor to burn out hopefully for you it is just a wire for me it was a new motor.
Cheers stay safe
Courtney

To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jul 13, 2020 2:53 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Front furler Bamar MEJ upgrade to EJF? Is it worth it?

Courtney.  

I have the same loop in the wires coming out of the EJF.  
This am the delivery captain tells me the EJF unfurls, but does not furl.

What were the symptoms of your failure?  

Im praying a loose wire explains it.  

Thanks Amigo.

Porter
A54-152

Courtney Gorman

no I don't all that you need to do is have the Stainless cut closer to the deck then finish the edges to avoid chafing cheers

Sent: Tue, Jul 14, 2020 1:16 pm

Courtney. 
Do you have a photo of your modification to the cable routing that allows drainage?  
Might be quite helpful 
Thank you!!

Porter
A54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 
Www.fouribis.net

On Jul 14, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

It was. Just a switch. I always feel like I’ve been given a gift when the anticipated worst does not occur.   
Thanks  Courtney, Scott. 
Porter A54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 
Www.fouribis.net

Porter the water caused corrosion in the brake which then caused the motor to burn out hopefully for you it is just a wire for me it was a new motor.
Cheers stay safe
Courtney

Courtney.  

Thanks Amigo.

Porter
A54-152

Courtney Gorman

awesome glad that is all it was
Cheers!

Sent: Tue, Jul 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks  Courtney, Scott. 
Porter A54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 
Www.fouribis.net

Cheers stay safe
Courtney

Courtney.  

Thanks Amigo.

Porter
A54-152

Porter McRoberts

Courtney. 
Might be quite helpful 
Thank you!!

Porter
A54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 
Www.fouribis.net

Thanks  Courtney, Scott. 
Porter A54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 
Www.fouribis.net

Cheers stay safe
Courtney

Courtney.  

Thanks Amigo.

Porter
A54-152

Porter McRoberts

Thanks  Courtney, Scott. 
Porter A54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 
Www.fouribis.net

Cheers stay safe
Courtney

Courtney.  

Thanks Amigo.

Porter
A54-152

Courtney Gorman

Cheers stay safe
Courtney

Courtney.  

Thanks Amigo.

Porter
A54-152

Porter McRoberts

Courtney.  

Thanks Amigo.

Porter
A54-152

Scott SV Tengah

For the old MEJ owners, couldn't that problem be solved by just making a slightly longer power cable and create the drip loop?

That would solve the problem of water going into the deck locker from the SS pipe but doesn't fix the problem of water coming in through the top seal of the furler.

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 10:04 AM Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here Is the issue the old Furler was smaller and so the wires coming out of the Furrer and back through the deck did not have to loop back up as they do in this photo so the water can get stuck especially if the seals on top are not properly sealed

Cheers 
Courtney 
Trippin 54 #101
LE Marin 

On Mar 3, 2020, at 8:08 PM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

I also have a problem understanding the issue on the furler drainage. The thick black (electrical) cable does go via a ss pipe (if I remember correctly) into the sail/bow locker and on AMELIT the caulking around that cable into the ss pipe was compromised and allowed water into the sail/bow locker. Once we fixed that no more water via that entry into the locker.

When I am back on the boat I will check if there is a drain plug on the bottom of the furler.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

On the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

March 3, 2020 17:08:08

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 04:50

I replaced both furlers with the EJF’s. Since they use a planetary gear system instead of belts and worm-gears the torque provided by the furler is about twice as high compared to the original MEJ’s at the same power consumption. For me they are working well, When furling in strong winds I can’t hear the motor being stressed at all, it furls in quite smoothly.

I have a hard time understanding the thing Courtney mentions about the cable sleeve also used for draining any water that enters the unit. When you buy the units the sleeve is quite long and I cannot imagine some Italian designer thinks to use it as a drain pathway. It seems more that you must prevent water to enter the sleeve so it cannot reach the unit.

Do make sure you use the electronically controlled Boxtrons in conjunction with the new furlers as they also provide a soft-start to make it easier on the rig.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121 

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Courtney Gorman

Here Is the issue the old Furler was smaller and so the wires coming out of the Furrer and back through the deck did not have to loop back up as they do in this photo so the water can get stuck especially if the seals on top are not properly sealed

Cheers 
Courtney 
Trippin 54 #101
LE Marin 

On Mar 3, 2020, at 8:08 PM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

I also have a problem understanding the issue on the furler drainage. The thick black (electrical) cable does go via a ss pipe (if I remember correctly) into the sail/bow locker and on AMELIT the caulking around that cable into the ss pipe was compromised and allowed water into the sail/bow locker. Once we fixed that no more water via that entry into the locker.

When I am back on the boat I will check if there is a drain plug on the bottom of the furler.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten via Groups.Io

I replaced both furlers with the EJF’s. Since they use a planetary gear system instead of belts and worm-gears the torque provided by the furler is about twice as high compared to the original MEJ’s at the same power consumption. For me they are working well, When furling in strong winds I can’t hear the motor being stressed at all, it furls in quite smoothly.

I have a hard time understanding the thing Courtney mentions about the cable sleeve also used for draining any water that enters the unit. When you buy the units the sleeve is quite long and I cannot imagine some Italian designer thinks to use it as a drain pathway. It seems more that you must prevent water to enter the sleeve so it cannot reach the unit.

Do make sure you use the electronically controlled Boxtrons in conjunction with the new furlers as they also provide a soft-start to make it easier on the rig.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121 

Scott SV Tengah

No more problems with the ejf after one year and about 9000nm.

Bamar themselves told me the mej top seal is a bad design and they didn't want to sell us kits to rebuild it. A few others have opened their mej and confirmed the same. 

If you're going to keep the boat for a while, just bite the bullet and do it. 

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 16:46 Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:
Hello to all
and thanks for your appreciated informations.

Scott, 
do you think, the failure (seals/ water intrusion) is avoidable by maintenance or is it (again) bad design/ material?
Do you have any problems after changing the „dying cat“ with the „new“ EJF (It is 1 year ago now?)?

Thx a lot for your response.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 - N° 119 - Lady Charlyette, currently Guadeloupe

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Stefan Schaufert

Hello to all
and thanks for your appreciated informations.

Scott, 
do you think, the failure (seals/ water intrusion) is avoidable by maintenance or is it (again) bad design/ material?
Do you have any problems after changing the „dying cat“ with the „new“ EJF (It is 1 year ago now?)?

Thx a lot for your response.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 - N° 119 - Lady Charlyette, currently Guadeloupe

Scott SV Tengah

No, they kept the original Amel spec. 

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 5:27 PM Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:
Hey Scott, I forgot to ask you. Did Phillip upgrade the size of your main mast shrouds when you replaced your standing rig - as noted by Bill Rouse?
I just missed that and may have him upgrade the size when I go back next year.
Safe travels.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Jamie Wendell

Hey Scott, I forgot to ask you. Did Phillip upgrade the size of your main mast shrouds when you replaced your standing rig - as noted by Bill Rouse?
I just missed that and may have him upgrade the size when I go back next year.
Safe travels.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

Scott SV Tengah

Oh and while you're in ther area, I'd suggest having Caraibe Marine do it in Le Marin, Martinique. Pick up some spare parts from the Amel office while you're there.
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Scott SV Tengah

I have had the Bamar EJF for about a year and a half. They are definitely better than the old MEJ, but I did have to replace the Genoa EJF AGAIN after 6 months due to water ingress. Luckily Bamar covered it. My MEJ sounded like a dying cat and then eventually just gave up. Apparently the top seals dry out and water fills them. The EJF seem to work pretty well, though I wish I didn't have to replace the staysail furler since it really doesn't have super heavy loads. A manual system there would have made me perfectly happy.

Secondly, I was getting corrosion between the black aluminum casing and the stainless. As Olivier mentioned, prior to 2009, the bonding system and hence "mass light" was not connected to the rigging. I had an electrical leak related to the bow nav lights and a bit from the starboard windlass and it was causing all sorts of corrosion and wasn't detectable using the mass light. I've since fixed the electrical leak and through my replacement Shakespeare VHF antenna, the rigging is connected to the bonding system (as it is 2009+ Amels).
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Laurens Vos

I just ordered last week the Reckmann furlers.

Did as good as possible research on both options and found out that even when the Reckmann are almost double the price compared to Bamar that Reckmann is probably the better choice.

A 54 owner which has the new Bamars EJF for a few years on has boat found out that they having serious corrosion. It's difficult to find out how serious the corrosion is because only Bamar can open the units to service. 

After this came to my ear I made the decision for the Reckmann's. 

The quotation which I got from Bamar was € 16.846,= ex. VAT and from Reckmann 31.464,= ex. VAT 
On this prices comes VAT, the transportation and installation. 
Including all above prices are € 24.235,= and € 41.274,=

If anyone is interested in my old Bamar MEJ furlers send me a mail. 

Laurens Vos
A54 - Fun@Sea 
La Rochelle 

Teun BAAS

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121 

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

When we first bought Ya Fohi we went through three genoa furler belts in a year. We then started furling in only with the load taken off the sail and since then have not had any problem and are still using the original Banmar furlers.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mohammad Shirloo
Sent: 03 March 2020 11:39

Hello Stefan;

We installed the new Bamar furlers about 2 years ago and have used it for two seasons. So far we have had no issues.

We never furl under load. We always loosen the sheets to the point right before the sail starts to flap and furl, loosing the sheets as needed so the furlers never have the pressure of the loaded sheets placed on them.. We do unfurl under toad which does not place any extra load on the furler.

I think this would be good practice regardless of the furler used. 

Respectfully;

Mohammad & Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

On Mar 2, 2020, at 12:15 PM, Stefan Schaufert via Groups.Io <mail@...> wrote:

Dear Ameliens,

I consider to change the genua furler (MEJ) to the newest BAMAR model (EFJ?) - if the technic is much better then the MEJ-modell (bad engineered + belts) . There where recently 2 belts broken (within 4 weeks, after 6 month of working fine) - not nice + lot of hard work. A thing that I do not wont to have again.

Is in the new modell still a belt inside?

What is your experience?

Or is it wiser to go directly to a Reckmann?

Thanks for your responses.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 N° 119 LADY CHARLYETTE, currently Dominica

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Stefan;

We installed the new Bamar furlers about 2 years ago and have used it for two seasons. So far we have had no issues.

We never furl under load. We always loosen the sheets to the point right before the sail starts to flap and furl, loosing the sheets as needed so the furlers never have the pressure of the loaded sheets placed on them.. We do unfurl under toad which does not place any extra load on the furler.

I think this would be good practice regardless of the furler used. 

Respectfully;

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Mar 2, 2020, at 12:15 PM, Stefan Schaufert via Groups.Io <mail@...> wrote:

Dear Ameliens,

I consider to change the genua furler (MEJ) to the newest BAMAR model (EFJ?) - if the technic is much better then the MEJ-modell (bad engineered + belts) . There where recently 2 belts broken (within 4 weeks, after 6 month of working fine) - not nice + lot of hard work. A thing that I do not wont to have again.

Is in the new modell still a belt inside?

What is your experience?

Or is it wiser to go directly to a Reckmann?

Thanks for your responses.

Best regards
Stefan
AMEL 54 N° 119 LADY CHARLYETTE, currently Dominica

Arno Luijten

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121