Topics

Iridium go external antenna location

Randall

Thanks Ken,

I will go with the shorter cable. Love your videos. I understand you need a permit from the UK government. But you should make Chagos islands. even just anchor for the night.

All the best,
Randall
A54 #56

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 10:34 PM Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:
Hello Randall,

I had my cable custom made at The Satellite Phone Store in San Diego.  Satellitephonestore.com...

There are probably cheaper places to purchase a custom cable, but would have to research.  I paid about $75 for mine.  Make sure you look at the specs of the cable, most important is loss per meter at about 1.6 GHz.  

Best,

Ken Powers
Currently in Thailand
Getting ready to cross the Indian Ocean

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Hello Randall,

I had my cable custom made at The Satellite Phone Store in San Diego.  Satellitephonestore.com...

There are probably cheaper places to purchase a custom cable, but would have to research.  I paid about $75 for mine.  Make sure you look at the specs of the cable, most important is loss per meter at about 1.6 GHz.  

Best,

Ken Powers
Currently in Thailand
Getting ready to cross the Indian Ocean

Randall

Hello Ken,
Where did you pick up your shorter cable? I remember watching the vid you did that was a while ago.

Randall
A54 #56

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 3:57 PM Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:
You want to keep your cable as short as possible.  The longer the cable, the more cable loss you will have.  I put the IridiumGo inside the cabinet above the sink.  It is just below the steering box and thus there is only a 6' cable to the antenna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHpFEHGCyqg
At 6:54 minutes you will see the installation of the IridiumGO..  The best place to get the service is through PredictWind.

I have a 15M cable that I didn't use because of the cable loss.

Ken

Wolfgang Weber

Hi Scott, 
It is on starboard side on the rail
Greetings from Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162 Fort Lauderdale 

Sv Garulfo

Hi Scott,

On a side note, we found the app ‘iWatchSat’ very useful to find out sat coverage. It’s very simple and it helps to plan your call/grib fetch. 

We found waiting for good coverage is the best way to dramatically improve connection quality. 

Hope that helps,

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Hiva Oa, French Polynesia 

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 04:34, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Hi all,

We just scored a great deal on a used Iridium Go with the external antenna. It comes with 12m of antenna cable and the mount for steel tubes. 
https://www.predictwind.com/iridium-go/#purchase-options

Any suggestions on where to mount the external antenna? I'd like to mine your collective knowledge before I start drilling any new holes. We have a large aft solar arch and assume putting it back there would degrade the signal. 

Additionally, how have you all run the thick antenna cable into the boat? I would like to put the Iridium Go at the nav station, but that's not a requirement. 

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Courtney Gorman

Thanks Dan right now I keep mine in the Aft Lazarette there’s a place to mount it but it’s a pain keeping it on the Rail seems like a better option 
Thanks 
Courtney 
Trippin 
54#101
Cheers 

On Mar 6, 2020, at 7:42 PM, Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:

Hi Courtney,  we keep it there all of the time. Just finished beating from Panama to the Dominican Republic via Cartagena.  I feel more secure with it there than in the rear lazarette.  It feels secure. 

Regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 4:35 PM Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Dan what type of sailing are you comfortable with it there?
Cheers and many thanks

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Mar 4, 2020 3:18 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Iridium go external antenna location

Courtney, here are some more photos of the engine bracket.  I have seen it on other Amels.  The wood is a real Marine laminate. There are two SS straps that giver the top rail and hold it all together, as well as the engine clamps.  It straddles one of the verticle supports for the rail. And is positioned for easy lifting with the mizzen ballooner halyard or a line thru a block at the mizzen spreader. 

Let me know if you have additional questions. 

Regards, Daniel

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 2:01 PM Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Dan would you mind sending me a picture of your outboard I like the way it is secured also did you add any reinforcement to the board it is attached to?
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin

Sent: Wed, Mar 4, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi Scott, here is a picture of my antenna mount, the wire pass thru the deck with compression fitting, and the inside mount by the nav station. I used an existing hole in edge of the deck. I also installed the same compression fitting in the hole through the bulkhead into the rear cabin.  This allows the slightly oversized hole for the cable to pass.  It took most of the cable length I had (probably the same as you) to reach the nav stations.

We are not are of any issues with the signal. Used it half of last season and the last few months if this season across the Caribbean from Panama to the DR.  

We never touch the Iridium unit itself except to turn it off once in a while.  We have a 5 USB port charging block there for keeping all of our other devices charged up as well.

It was not that difficult on an SM. Just a few tight turns around the aft hanging locker. 

Best regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 10:04 AM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Hi all,

We just scored a great deal on a used Iridium Go with the external antenna. It comes with 12m of antenna cable and the mount for steel tubes. 

Any suggestions on where to mount the external antenna? I'd like to mine your collective knowledge before I start drilling any new holes. We have a large aft solar arch and assume putting it back there would degrade the signal. 

Additionally, how have you all run the thick antenna cable into the boat? I would like to put the Iridium Go at the nav station, but that's not a requirement. 

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Scott SV Tengah

Wolfgang, 

What do you mean same place ? On star board side of arch or on star board rail? 
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Dan Carlson

Hi Courtney,  we keep it there all of the time. Just finished beating from Panama to the Dominican Republic via Cartagena.  I feel more secure with it there than in the rear lazarette.  It feels secure. 

Regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 4:35 PM Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Cheers and many thanks

Courtney, here are some more photos of the engine bracket.  I have seen it on other Amels.  The wood is a real Marine laminate. There are two SS straps that giver the top rail and hold it all together, as well as the engine clamps.  It straddles one of the verticle supports for the rail. And is positioned for easy lifting with the mizzen ballooner halyard or a line thru a block at the mizzen spreader. 

Regards, Daniel

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 2:01 PM Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Dan would you mind sending me a picture of your outboard I like the way it is secured also did you add any reinforcement to the board it is attached to?
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin

Hi Scott, here is a picture of my antenna mount, the wire pass thru the deck with compression fitting, and the inside mount by the nav station. I used an existing hole in edge of the deck. I also installed the same compression fitting in the hole through the bulkhead into the rear cabin.  This allows the slightly oversized hole for the cable to pass.  It took most of the cable length I had (probably the same as you) to reach the nav stations.

We are not are of any issues with the signal. Used it half of last season and the last few months if this season across the Caribbean from Panama to the DR.  

We never touch the Iridium unit itself except to turn it off once in a while.  We have a 5 USB port charging block there for keeping all of our other devices charged up as well.

It was not that difficult on an SM. Just a few tight turns around the aft hanging locker. 

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Arno Luijten

I’ve used an Iridium Go on a ocean trip once and did not use an external antenna at all. If you put the put the device under the sprayhood it works fine. You can get a waterproof USB cable for the power supply and that is all you need apart from an USB charger outlet at the helm. When I talked to the supplier about this he said the value of the external antenna is very limited.
Predict wind offers a unlimited data contract but I had exactly the same from a local supplier for the same money. 
I’m actually very curious when Iridium will introduce an updated model that can make use of the higher data speeds now offered by Iridium because of the new satellite infrastructure. The 2400 baud of the Iridium GO is really sloooow....

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

You want to keep your cable as short as possible.  The longer the cable, the more cable loss you will have.  I put the IridiumGo inside the cabinet above the sink.  It is just below the steering box and thus there is only a 6' cable to the antenna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHpFEHGCyqg
At 6:54 minutes you will see the installation of the IridiumGO..  The best place to get the service is through PredictWind.

I have a 15M cable that I didn't use because of the cable loss.

Ken

Alan Leslie

Hi Dan 
I think you'll find that bracket is standard on Amel Super Maramus.
Every one I've seen, including ours, has it.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Porter McRoberts

Ours is mounted deep under the Nav station desk (with external antenna). No problem with GPS signal ever. Just FYI. 
Porter McRoberts 
S/V IBIS a54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 
Www.fouribis.com

On Mar 4, 2020, at 6:48 PM, Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio@...> wrote:

1. The main unit should be installed in a position in the cabin where it will have GPS reception i.e. high in the cabin and near a window. The external antenna repeats the Iridium signal but not the GPS signal necessary for tracking. At present there is no external Antenna for the Iridium GO! that will boost the GPS signal.
This is from the iridium go page. I have the same antenna as shown and same place, cable runs through the pipe where also the BLU/SSB is running and unit is at the cart table.
The external antenna is a little sensitive to people sitting at the backseat and leaning too much over the reling and when throwing the lines while getting to the harbour.
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Wolfgang Weber

1. The main unit should be installed in a position in the cabin where it will have GPS reception i.e. high in the cabin and near a window. The external antenna repeats the Iridium signal but not the GPS signal necessary for tracking. At present there is no external Antenna for the Iridium GO! that will boost the GPS signal.
This is from the iridium go page. I have the same antenna as shown and same place, cable runs through the pipe where also the BLU/SSB is running and unit is at the cart table.
The external antenna is a little sensitive to people sitting at the backseat and leaning too much over the reling and when throwing the lines while getting to the harbour.
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Courtney Gorman

Cheers and many thanks

Regards, Daniel

Cheers
Courtney
Trippin

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Dan

We have an identical bracket on Ocean Pearl. I always thought it was an Amel standard fixture.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 March 2020 at 09:17 Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:

Regards, Daniel

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 2:01 PM Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io <Itsfun1= aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin

To: main < main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 10:04 AM Scott SV Tengah < Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Dan Carlson

Regards, Daniel

Cheers
Courtney
Trippin

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Teun BAAS

Scott,

I have the antenna on starboard side of solar arch.

The NEW ZEALAND marine electrician ran the cable thru the starboard conduit to the nav station. Unit is in a IRIDIUM GO bracket at the NAV station but can easily be taken out of the bracket.

Reception is fine – taking it out and having the unit on deck does NOT necessarily improve satellite reception.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

March 4, 2020 11:24:18

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott SV Tengah via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 07:05
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Iridium go external antenna location

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Courtney Gorman

Cheers
Courtney
Trippin

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Thomas Peacock

Tom Peacock
SM Aletes #240
Carriacou 

On Mar 4, 2020, at 1:38 PM, Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:

I mounted ours in a corner under the hard dodger. The little bit of fiberglass does not seem to interfere with reception. 

On Mar 4, 2020, at 10:04 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Thomas Peacock

I mounted ours in a corner under the hard dodger. The little bit of fiberglass does not seem to interfere with reception. 

On Mar 4, 2020, at 10:04 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah