Topics

Iridium go external antenna location

Randall

Thanks Ken,

I will go with the shorter cable. Love your videos. I understand you need a permit from the UK government. But you should make Chagos islands. even just anchor for the night.

All the best,
Randall
A54 #56

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 10:34 PM Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:
Hello Randall,

I had my cable custom made at The Satellite Phone Store in San Diego.  Satellitephonestore.com...

There are probably cheaper places to purchase a custom cable, but would have to research.  I paid about $75 for mine.  Make sure you look at the specs of the cable, most important is loss per meter at about 1.6 GHz.

Best,

Ken Powers
Currently in Thailand
Getting ready to cross the Indian Ocean

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Hello Randall,

I had my cable custom made at The Satellite Phone Store in San Diego.  Satellitephonestore.com...

There are probably cheaper places to purchase a custom cable, but would have to research.  I paid about $75 for mine.  Make sure you look at the specs of the cable, most important is loss per meter at about 1.6 GHz.

Best,

Ken Powers
Currently in Thailand
Getting ready to cross the Indian Ocean

Randall

Hello Ken,
Where did you pick up your shorter cable? I remember watching the vid you did that was a while ago.

Randall
A54 #56

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 3:57 PM Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:
You want to keep your cable as short as possible.  The longer the cable, the more cable loss you will have.  I put the IridiumGo inside the cabinet above the sink.  It is just below the steering box and thus there is only a 6' cable to the antenna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHpFEHGCyqg
At 6:54 minutes you will see the installation of the IridiumGO..  The best place to get the service is through PredictWind.

I have a 15M cable that I didn't use because of the cable loss.

Ken

Wolfgang Weber

Hi Scott,
It is on starboard side on the rail
Greetings from Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162 Fort Lauderdale

Sv Garulfo

Hi Scott,

On a side note, we found the app ‘iWatchSat’ very useful to find out sat coverage. It’s very simple and it helps to plan your call/grib fetch.

We found waiting for good coverage is the best way to dramatically improve connection quality.

Hope that helps,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Hiva Oa, French Polynesia

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 04:34, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Hi all,

We just scored a great deal on a used Iridium Go with the external antenna. It comes with 12m of antenna cable and the mount for steel tubes.
https://www.predictwind.com/iridium-go/#purchase-options

Any suggestions on where to mount the external antenna? I'd like to mine your collective knowledge before I start drilling any new holes. We have a large aft solar arch and assume putting it back there would degrade the signal.

Additionally, how have you all run the thick antenna cable into the boat? I would like to put the Iridium Go at the nav station, but that's not a requirement.

Thanks in advance!
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Courtney Gorman

Thanks Dan right now I keep mine in the Aft Lazarette there’s a place to mount it but it’s a pain keeping it on the Rail seems like a better option
Thanks
Courtney
Trippin
54#101
Cheers

On Mar 6, 2020, at 7:42 PM, Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:

Hi Courtney,  we keep it there all of the time. Just finished beating from Panama to the Dominican Republic via Cartagena.  I feel more secure with it there than in the rear lazarette.  It feels secure.

Regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020, 4:35 PM Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Dan what type of sailing are you comfortable with it there?
Cheers and many thanks