Topics

The ultimate cockpit table?

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

Last year, we installed a cockpit table based on a Lagun structure and a skimboard. Yes, after looking for months for the perfect table top, a light bulb switched on in the fun sports department of a hardware store in Panama.

The Lagun arm idea came from a friend on an SM, who got the idea from a friend of his on another SM. It has since been used on a Mango, and Maramu friend is drooling over it. I think it would fit most Amel model i can think of.

Table tops are a personal choice but the skimboard, although looking “modern” (some may say weird) won it for being lightweight, weatherproof, very rigid, skid proof, very cheap (~$20!) and, as it turns out, very cleanable.

On a 54, it’s possible to find the right table dimensions to:

- Use it as a coffee table for everybody’s sundowners,
- use it as a dinner table for two, on either side of the mizzen, or other layout to stay out of the sun,
- use it as a computer desk, again in various parts of the cockpit,
- stay/swing out of the way of people moving in the cockpit while sailing or entertaining,
- open any cockpit locker and the engine room hatch(*) without removing the table,
- deploy and use the banquet cockpit table without removing the useful cockpit table,
- operate the winches on the mizzen.

We put it up more than a year ago in Panama and basically never removed it since.

(*) by cutting a wedge off the foot, the hatch can even open without raising the table.

Hope it will give you ideas and a many enjoyable alfresco meals.

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Hiva Oa, French Polynesia

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

I wonder if not S/Y Lady Annila is that friend of a friend. 😊

We have had that solution since 2007, and I think our pictures is here on the forum some where.

Glad that our idea has been adopted by so many.

Regards
Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

8 mars 2020 kl. 01:45 skrev Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...>:

[...]

<image1.jpeg>
<image2.jpeg>
<image3.jpeg>
<image4.jpeg>
<image5.jpeg>
<image6.jpeg>
<image7.jpeg>
<image8.jpeg>

Patrick McAneny

I bought the same bracket a few yrs. ago, I made a table fit for two, I found that we can leave it in place and it is not in the the way, and always available . Our table is more conventional ,rectangular with a lip around the perimeter and a mahogany  veneer. Great addition to the cockpit.
Pat
SM#123

[...]

Ann-Sofia, Diane and I were on your boat in 2015 in Prickly Bay ,Grenada, and that is when we first saw the bracket and bought one when we got home. So you get credit for our's . Say Hi! to Jonas .
Hope all is well,
Pat & Diane,
SV Shenanigans,

I wonder if not S/Y Lady Annila is that friend of a friend. 😊

We have had that solution since 2007, and I think our pictures is here on the forum some where.

Glad that our idea has been adopted by so many.

Regards
Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

> 8 mars 2020 kl. 01:45 skrev Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Last year, we installed a cockpit table based on a Lagun structure and a skimboard. Yes, after looking for months for the perfect table top, a light bulb switched on in the fun sports department of a hardware store in Panama.
>
> The Lagun arm idea came from a friend on an SM, who got the idea from a friend of his on another SM. It has since been used on a Mango, and Maramu friend is drooling over it. I think it would fit most Amel model i can think of.
>
> Table tops are a personal choice but the skimboard, although looking “modern” (some may say weird) won it for being lightweight, weatherproof, very rigid, skid proof, very cheap (~$20!) and, as it turns out, very cleanable.
>

> On a 54, it’s possible to find the right table dimensions to:
>
> - Use it as a coffee table for everybody’s sundowners,
> - use it as a dinner table for two, on either side of the mizzen, or other layout to stay out of the sun,
> - use it as a computer desk, again in various parts of the cockpit,
> - stay/swing out of the way of people moving in the cockpit while sailing or entertaining,
> - open any cockpit locker and the engine room hatch(*) without removing the table,
> - deploy and use the banquet cockpit table without removing the useful cockpit table,
> - operate the winches on the mizzen.
>
> We put it up more than a year ago in Panama and basically never removed it since.

> (*) by cutting a wedge off the foot, the hatch can even open without raising the table.
>

> Hope it will give you ideas and a many enjoyable alfresco meals.
>

> Thomas
> GARULFO
> A54-122
> Hiva Oa, French Polynesia
>

> <image1.jpeg>
> <image2.jpeg>
> <image3.jpeg>
> <image4.jpeg>
> <image5.jpeg>
> <image6.jpeg>
> <image7.jpeg>
> <image8.jpeg>

Randall

Just to keep the hype for a good thing. Here some pics of basically the same bracketing. I don't Know who started this good thing, but this was on my 54. I will say the previous owners did upgrades a world traveller could appreciate. The one thing I plan for in the future is the stainless reinvent of the helm seat bracket, I believe is on Attika That is just brilliant. I will copy a pic from the owners group pics.

Great table ideas.

If I were to ever be a boat builder.
My first question to an owner of a boat that I had built, would be. What did you not like?. Why? Well, if I change what you don't like I will make them better.
My point is. How long have they been building that table in the way. I had to get in the engine bay on passage. Hold it in the air, while I reach for and lift the floor. You all have had to.

Randall
A54 #56

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 1:39 PM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ann-Sofia, Diane and I were on your boat in 2015 in Prickly Bay ,Grenada, and that is when we first saw the bracket and bought one when we got home. So you get credit for our's . Say Hi! to Jonas .
Hope all is well,
Pat & Diane,
SV Shenanigans,

I wonder if not S/Y Lady Annila is that friend of a friend. 😊

We have had that solution since 2007, and I think our pictures is here on the forum some where.

Glad that our idea has been adopted by so many.

Regards
Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

> 8 mars 2020 kl. 01:45 skrev Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Last year, we installed a cockpit table based on a Lagun structure and a skimboard. Yes, after looking for months for the perfect table top, a light bulb switched on in the fun sports department of a hardware store in Panama.
>
> The Lagun arm idea came from a friend on an SM, who got the idea from a friend of his on another SM. It has since been used on a Mango, and Maramu friend is drooling over it. I think it would fit most Amel model i can think of.
>
> Table tops are a personal choice but the skimboard, although looking “modern” (some may say weird) won it for being lightweight, weatherproof, very rigid, skid proof, very cheap (~$20!) and, as it turns out, very cleanable.
>

> On a 54, it’s possible to find the right table dimensions to:
>
> - Use it as a coffee table for everybody’s sundowners,
> - use it as a dinner table for two, on either side of the mizzen, or other layout to stay out of the sun,
> - use it as a computer desk, again in various parts of the cockpit,
> - stay/swing out of the way of people moving in the cockpit while sailing or entertaining,
> - open any cockpit locker and the engine room hatch(*) without removing the table,
> - deploy and use the banquet cockpit table without removing the useful cockpit table,
> - operate the winches on the mizzen.
>
> We put it up more than a year ago in Panama and basically never removed it since.

> (*) by cutting a wedge off the foot, the hatch can even open without raising the table.
>

> Hope it will give you ideas and a many enjoyable alfresco meals.
>

> Thomas
> GARULFO
> A54-122
> Hiva Oa, French Polynesia
>

> <image1.jpeg>
> <image2.jpeg>
> <image3.jpeg>
> <image4.jpeg>
> <image5.jpeg>
> <image6.jpeg>
> <image7.jpeg>
> <image8.jpeg>

Porter McRoberts

Randal.  On our A54-152 the table stores in a tucked forward position so the engine hatch opens unencumbered.
I thought it was this way for everyone until we were parked next to another A54 in Opua.  What a nightmare to get into the engine room!  I think an easy modification to pull forward could be done.  Ill post a photo of our scenario when we get back to the boat shortly.
Amel does listen!
Porter A54-152

On Mar 8, 2020, at 9:50 AM, Randall <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:

> [...]

> On a 54, it’s possible to find the right table dimensions to:
>
> - Use it as a coffee table for everybody’s sundowners,
> - use it as a dinner table for two, on either side of the mizzen, or other layout to stay out of the sun,
> - use it as a computer desk, again in various parts of the cockpit,
> - stay/swing out of the way of people moving in the cockpit while sailing or entertaining,
> - open any cockpit locker and the engine room hatch(*) without removing the table,
> - deploy and use the banquet cockpit table without removing the useful cockpit table,
> - operate the winches on the mizzen.
>
> We put it up more than a year ago in Panama and basically never removed it since.

> (*) by cutting a wedge off the foot, the hatch can even open without raising the table.
>

> Hope it will give you ideas and a many enjoyable alfresco meals.

Arno Luijten

I do think the standard cockpit table is one of the worst features of the Amel 54’s cockpit. It’s heavy and always in the way. I removed it and put at our house. Currently using a small foldable table doing it’s job excellent. I did consider the Lagun table as well so it’s great to see your positive report on it. I don’t think the table is carried by the chandlers on St. Maarten. So I have some time to consider other options as well. I really like the thing done by a fellow Amelian where he replaced the base of the steering chair with a stainless column, resulting in a improved folding of the standard table to facilitate the opening of the engine room hatch without moving the table. Obviously that is much more work and uses quite some expensive pieces of stainless.

Regards,
Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

Peter Forbes

I would love to see these photos [i can’t seem to open them own the other mail from GARULFO. Also where does one buy this table?

Peter Forbes
Carango - Amel 54 #035
La Rochelle
00447836 209730
07836 209730

On 8 Mar 2020, at 14:03, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

> [...]

> On a 54, it’s possible to find the right table dimensions to:
>
> - Use it as a coffee table for everybody’s sundowners,
> - use it as a dinner table for two, on either side of the mizzen, or other layout to stay out of the sun,
> - use it as a computer desk, again in various parts of the cockpit,
> - stay/swing out of the way of people moving in the cockpit while sailing or entertaining,
> - open any cockpit locker and the engine room hatch(*) without removing the table,
> - deploy and use the banquet cockpit table without removing the useful cockpit table,
> - operate the winches on the mizzen.
>
> We put it up more than a year ago in Panama and basically never removed it since.

> (*) by cutting a wedge off the foot, the hatch can even open without raising the table.
>

> Hope it will give you ideas and a many enjoyable alfresco meals.

Teun BAAS

Somewhere between Arno’s hull number (121) and mine (128) AMEL must have changed the A54 cockpit design/installation as mine also allows the engine room hatch to be opened without having to mess with the cockpit table.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

On the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

March 8, 2020 08:52:56

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

[...]

Yes Ann-Sofie, absolutely! Delighted with the idea, thanks again!

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 at 22:07, Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg <ann-sofie@...> wrote:
I wonder if not S/Y Lady Annila is that friend of a friend. 😊

We have had that solution since 2007, and I think our pictures is here on the forum some where.

Glad that our idea has been adopted by so many.

Regards
Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

> 8 mars 2020 kl. 01:45 skrev Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Last year, we installed a cockpit table based on a Lagun structure and a skimboard. Yes, after looking for months for the perfect table top, a light bulb switched on in the fun sports department of a hardware store in Panama.
>
> The Lagun arm idea came from a friend on an SM, who got the idea from a friend of his on another SM. It has since been used on a Mango, and Maramu friend is drooling over it. I think it would fit most Amel model i can think of.
>
> Table tops are a personal choice but the skimboard, although looking “modern” (some may say weird) won it for being lightweight, weatherproof, very rigid, skid proof, very cheap (~$20!) and, as it turns out, very cleanable.
>

> On a 54, it’s possible to find the right table dimensions to:
>
> - Use it as a coffee table for everybody’s sundowners,
> - use it as a dinner table for two, on either side of the mizzen, or other layout to stay out of the sun,
> - use it as a computer desk, again in various parts of the cockpit,
> - stay/swing out of the way of people moving in the cockpit while sailing or entertaining,
> - open any cockpit locker and the engine room hatch(*) without removing the table,
> - deploy and use the banquet cockpit table without removing the useful cockpit table,
> - operate the winches on the mizzen.
>
> We put it up more than a year ago in Panama and basically never removed it since.

> (*) by cutting a wedge off the foot, the hatch can even open without raising the table.
>

> Hope it will give you ideas and a many enjoyable alfresco meals.
>

> Thomas
> GARULFO
> A54-122
> Hiva Oa, French Polynesia
>

> <image1.jpeg>
> <image2.jpeg>
> <image3.jpeg>
> <image4.jpeg>
> <image5.jpeg>
> <image6.jpeg>
> <image7.jpeg>
> <image8.jpeg>

Sv Garulfo

Hi Peter, Arno,

We got ours from marineteak:

Arno, they delivered to Curaçao, so i would imagine St Marteen would be covered too.

Also seen on SVB and amazon but more expensive.

Hope that helps,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Hiva Oa, French Polynesia

On 8 Mar 2020, at 14:03, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

> [...]

> On a 54, it’s possible to find the right table dimensions to:
>
> - Use it as a coffee table for everybody’s sundowners,
> - use it as a dinner table for two, on either side of the mizzen, or other layout to stay out of the sun,
> - use it as a computer desk, again in various parts of the cockpit,
> - stay/swing out of the way of people moving in the cockpit while sailing or entertaining,
> - open any cockpit locker and the engine room hatch(*) without removing the table,
> - deploy and use the banquet cockpit table without removing the useful cockpit table,
> - operate the winches on the mizzen.
>
> We put it up more than a year ago in Panama and basically never removed it since.

> (*) by cutting a wedge off the foot, the hatch can even open without raising the table.
>

> Hope it will give you ideas and a many enjoyable alfresco meals.

Sv Garulfo

Randall,

Totally agree

Interesting that your bracket is inside the mizzen “recess”. I see you have a padeye that may get in the way, but otherwise i found that by inverting the tightening handle at the top of the vertical arm, i could swing the banquet cockpit table open even with the Lagun mounting plate on the front face of that recess.

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Hiva Oa, French Polynesia