Topics

Hatch handle seat (corners) for Goiot tradition series

Charles Bell

Hello Ralf,

Please confirm these are the right pins and I will mail them out to you today.

The hatch corners I have not made yet (no one has sent me a sample and I don't have them on my boat).

I am working on a design for mast steps and hope to start making them in a couple of weeks,

Thank you,

Charles

Ralf Schroeder

Hi Charles,
I'm looking for one or two of the black pins.
It is possible, when you start your CNC tool, that you produce three pieces for me, too?

Best

Ralf
SY Baghira
Sharki #42

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Mike,

I am surprised the corner seats are failing. Eleuthera is the same vintage and corners are still in good order.

However, from my experience, I’ve replaced some of the handles... probably due to UV damage over the years. Expect a crazy price.

Cheers

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007, Opua

On 15/03/2020, at 9:01 AM, Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Hi Charles,

Thanks for laying out the process for me. Very cool. And I appreciate your thoroughness.

I think it's best if we get you a sample in hand. If we can't find one from another owner, perhaps I can remove one off my boat and ship it.

Does anyone reading this have a spare Goiot hatch corner seat (tradition series) that we could borrow for this project?

If there's not a big price difference between materials then the aluminum might be better. My existing ones are a type of polymer and most have not survived the test of time. That said, I'm not sure how long they've been installed (decades?) so perhaps replacement now is totally acceptable. I also don't want all of my handles to now fail if the corner seats are stronger (see attached photo).

At any rate, I'll work to get you a proper sample asap and we can go from there.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020, 2:28 PM Charles Bell <shipbldr2000@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the kind words on the parts I made. Yes, I am in the US.

It took me 5 or 6 weeks to make the batch of parts you see in the pictures. The steps are:

  • I spent about a week measuring and drawing the parts, thinking about which measurements are critical for the part to work, and then tweaking the 3D model and cut path. On this project, I am wondering a lot about
    • The inside corner where the plate and wall meet. I am thinking about doing a rounded curve with a ball mill and need to make sure it will not interfere with the latch sweep.
    • The necessary thickness of the base plate and if we might need to make it from aluminum to survive abuse (or if the touch composite I used on the handles will do the job well)
  • After tweaking the design files, I cut samples from scrap, verified the fit on the boat, and then ordered material.
    • The black plastic you see takes me about a week to get in
    • The aluminum can sometimes be *found* in the cut-offs pile of my shop. Otherwise, it is usually 2 days to get in the stock.
  • Then I waited to get machine time to cut the parts. The machines in the shop usually run 24x7 and personal projects have to run on the weekends.
  • Once I had machine time, things happened really fast. Most of the parts you saw in my pictures were a minute or two per cycle.
  • Then the aluminum parts were anodized, about a 3 day turn around.
Assuming no surprises, this is about 4 to 6 weeks.

Without a sample of the original part in hand, there is a really high probability of surprises.

Maybe we can find somebody in the group who has a broken one they could part with temporarily?

Let's find a way to do this, I enjoy these sorts of challenges.

Charles

<20200315_085359.jpg>

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

[...]

Edited

[...]

Hi Justin, thanks for the word of warning. I had my doubts about them just looking at their online site... needing to email or phone part numbers and waiting just to find out what things cost? Then finding very high prices, not even looking at shipping. I'm hoping Charles can sort me out with some CNC work.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Charles,

That is awesome, nice work!

I might have to sketch the pieces I need because all of them are currently in use on my boat. Might need a couple other parts too, if possible. Curious how long does the process usually take from receiving sketch to product? Are you in USA?

I'll have a go at making up a detailed sketch for the corner seat and get back to you very soon.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ

Petaris

Hi Mike,

Just a note about Rig-Rite in Rhode Island.  They can be very hard to reach, I always had to leave a message, and they call back from a private number.  Also make sure to ask specifically about shipping costs.  I ordered a replacement pawl for a winch and ended up paying a hefty fee for shipping this already very expensive part (a single pawl and spring for a size 10 winch).  They will not volunteer any information either, you need to specifically ask.

Just a friendly warning.

Justin

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 5:05 PM Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions regarding the replacement of these failing hatch handle seats. Several of them are cracking in various places. Rig-Rite has them in cast aluminum which is nice, part# Goi HT-HSC. Unfortunately, they are quoted at $80 USD per piece ($640 USD to replace all of them!). There's got to be a less expensive option out there. Is anyone else looking to replace these parts? Has anyone already found a good solution or source?

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ

--
Justin Paulsen
IT Professional

"The world is open, are you?"

Charles Bell

Hello Mike,

I understand where you are coming from on the Goiot replacement parts.

I just CNC'd up a full replacement set for the hatches on my boat, pictures attached. I can certainly make more.

If you can send me the part you want to be replicated, or else make a detailed sketch, I am sure we can make you smile :)

Charles,

SV Jupiter
Mango #29

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)