Topics

Volvo warning

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Thanks, I see it now.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerhard Mueller via Groups.Io
Sent: 15 March 2020 10:34
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo warning

Was found at:
https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/files/Volvo%20Penta/volvo%20penta%20workshop%20manual%207748668_EN.pdf

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Gerhard Mueller

I just looked on https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/files and cannot see any Volvo folder. Was this in the original Yahoo group?

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sv Garulfo
Sent: 14 March 2020 19:21
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

Hi,

We uploaded the workshop manual with all the codes in the « volvo penta » folder of the group. 

Hope it’ll be useful

Thomas 

GARULFO 

A54-122

Tahuata, French Polynesia 

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 05:27, Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:

The Volvo Service Bulletin was received from an extremely helpful dealer, Fordham Marine, Jacksonville, FL  904.743.2140.  The other information I came across was when I had the same problem as Paul.  I was trying to find a method to determine what was wrong without having to pay a mechanic 2 1/2 hours travel time to come to the boat to diagnose then make a second trip back with the parts.  It seemed very inefficient and costly.  I heard about the OEM mode wanted to learn how to access it.  Wish I had all the codes but have not found a way to get them.  They do vary slightly between different engine models.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Sv Garulfo

Hi,

We uploaded the workshop manual with all the codes in the « volvo penta » folder of the group. 

Hope it’ll be useful

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Tahuata, French Polynesia 

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 05:27, Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:
The Volvo Service Bulletin was received from an extremely helpful dealer, Fordham Marine, Jacksonville, FL  904.743.2140.  The other information I came across was when I had the same problem as Paul.  I was trying to find a method to determine what was wrong without having to pay a mechanic 2 1/2 hours travel time to come to the boat to diagnose then make a second trip back with the parts.  It seemed very inefficient and costly.  I heard about the OEM mode wanted to learn how to access it.  Wish I had all the codes but have not found a way to get them.  They do vary slightly between different engine models.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Mark & Debbie Mueller

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Marc

Thanks for sharing these information. Great information, such Service Bulletin’s are vital. 

Question: I have seen these Volvo Penta Service  Bulletin“ once at the Volvo dealer. Are these public available from Volvo on request or by download?

- Or how you got those Service bulletins? 

Thanks for giving me one more item for the maintenance list ;-) 

Happy Sailing

Ruedi Waldispuehl
WASABI A54. #55

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...>
Antworten an: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Datum: Dienstag, 10. März 2020 um 19:29
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo warning

I had the same fault code with the last digit being "0".  I was able to lube and free up the actuator.  It could also indicate a bad sensor or another turbo related issue.  Take a look at the attached and be sure to read the comments that I added at the time.  Good luck with the repair.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Matt Salatino

There is an excellent cleaner for burned on deposits that would work great for this application. It is a gun cleaning product called “Shooter’s Lube”.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Mar 10, 2020, at 2:41 PM, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark. It’s pretty much what I did except I used WD40 and did not spray at the same time as moving the arm up and down – maybe I should try that. Maybe I should use Corrosion X instead?

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark & Debbie Mueller
Sent: 10 March 2020 14:29

I had the same fault code with the last digit being "0".  I was able to lube and free up the actuator.  It could also indicate a bad sensor or another turbo related issue.  Take a look at the attached and be sure to read the comments that I added at the time.  Good luck with the repair.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks for sharing Mark. One more item added to list of maintenance.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark & Debbie Mueller via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 11:29 AM

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Thanks Mark. It’s pretty much what I did except I used WD40 and did not spray at the same time as moving the arm up and down – maybe I should try that. Maybe I should use Corrosion X instead?

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark & Debbie Mueller
Sent: 10 March 2020 14:29

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mark & Debbie Mueller

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

I looked up fault code MID 128, SID 27, FMI 1 and it is something to do with the Variable Nozzle Turbine (VNT). A Swedish forum said to WD40 and “exercise” the lever which I did but I still get the error (unlike the person on the forum with the same problem!).

Cheers,

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Thanks Mark, that did the trick. Mine is 128, 27, 1 – will now try to find out what it means…

Cheers,

Paul

Sent: 10 March 2020 11:55

Reference the attached pdf.  It indicates that button to press is not the rotary button but the top left button.  Good luck and let us know what fault code you find.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Sv Garulfo

Yes, my bad, it’s the “-“ button not the rotary button. Sorry about that. 

Thomas
GARULFO 

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 06:25, Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:
Reference the attached pdf.  It indicates that button to press is not the rotary button but the top left button.  Good luck and let us know what fault code you find.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Matt Salatino

Very helpful, thanks!

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Mar 10, 2020, at 11:55 AM, Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54
<Fault Codes - Retrieving Volvo D3 Fault Codes.pdf>

Mark & Debbie Mueller

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Thanks Nick, I think I'll take your advice on that. I also tried the 7 sec (and longer) roto knob press as advised by Thomas from Garulfo, but nothing happened - maybe a different software version?

Cheers,
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io
Sent: 10 March 2020 02:11
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

Hi Paul,
I had the same thing in Grenada.
Grenada Marine were the Volvo agents but frankly were useless.
The technician arrived but could not log into the Volvo network as he had not paid up! He then tried to tell me it was the alternator. Anyhow I decided it was some kind of sensor or the Turbo and continue in limp mode. When we arrived in Martinique, the excellent Volvo agent plugged in his diagnostic computer and it was the Boost sensor that he had in stock and changed there and then. Cost 420 euros.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54 019
Kilada Greece
On 9 Mar 2020, at 17:09, ULRICH DANGELMEYER <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...> wrote:

Hi, Paul,

this error message sounds very familiar… on our D3-110 we had 3 years
ago, just when we wanted to leave, exactly such a message with red light warning, engine failure! no further information. You can read in your Volvo manual which error codes are displayed. But then you still don't know which error is present. In any case, you need a Volvo technician with a VODIA tester, who can read the error memory of your ECU and delete it later. In our case an experienced electronic technician first tried his luck, but he could only suspect a sensor error.
We then called the Volvo hotline to get a Volvo technician, which took time because we were on a small Greek island and didn't want to continue with the engine. With the tester he found the fault in two minutes: the boost pressure sensor. It had to be ordered, it was not in stock from Volvo in Greece, so it had to be delivered from Sweden. The whole thing cost us three weeks of our holidays and 1100 Euros. The (BOSCH) sensor costs about 150€, in our bill it were 280 €! The difference were diagnosis and traveling costs. Grrr...
It's a huge mess with the fully electronically controlled engines, just like in a car. In case of malfunctions you can only do the basics without tester and expertise. It's unimaginable when you are on a long passage and the error message comes. But the Volvo man had one small consolation: the engines all have an emergency program in background like in cars, that allows you to continue driving in a reduced gear without the engine breaking down. Of course, the oil and cooling must be right.

Hope this may help you a little bit, I like to recommend you to get directly in Touch with "VOLVO Action service“, a 24/7 „global break down service in 28 languages“.
Try +32 9 255 69 77 or (while you stay in Grenada): +1 336 393 4968.

My best wishes.
Stay calm and carry on..

Best Regards

Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ / A54 #088, Dodecanesos Greece.
<>

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Paul,
I had the same thing in Grenada.
Grenada Marine were the Volvo agents but frankly were useless.
The technician arrived but could not log into the Volvo network as he had not paid up! He then tried to tell me it was the alternator. Anyhow I decided it was some kind of sensor or the Turbo and continue in limp mode. When we arrived in Martinique, the excellent Volvo agent plugged in his diagnostic computer and it was the Boost sensor that he had in stock and changed there and then. Cost 420 euros.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54 019
Kilada Greece

On 9 Mar 2020, at 17:09, ULRICH DANGELMEYER <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...> wrote:

Hi, Paul,

this error message sounds very familiar…
on our D3-110 we had 3 years ago, just when we wanted to leave, exactly such a message with red light warning, engine failure! no further information. You can read in your Volvo manual which error codes are displayed. But then you still don't know which error is present. In any case, you need a Volvo technician with a VODIA tester, who can read the error memory of your ECU and delete it later. In our case an experienced electronic technician first tried his luck, but he could only suspect a sensor error.
We then called the Volvo hotline to get a Volvo technician, which took time because we were on a small Greek island and didn't want to continue with the engine. With the tester he found the fault in two minutes: the boost pressure sensor. It had to be ordered, it was not in stock from Volvo in Greece, so it had to be delivered from Sweden. The whole thing cost us three weeks of our holidays and 1100 Euros. The (BOSCH) sensor costs about 150€, in our bill it were 280 €! The difference were diagnosis and traveling costs. Grrr...
It's a huge mess with the fully electronically controlled engines, just like in a car. In case of malfunctions you can only do the basics without tester and expertise. It's unimaginable when you are on a long passage and the error message comes. But the Volvo man had one small consolation: the engines all have an emergency program in background like in cars, that allows you to continue driving in a reduced gear without the engine breaking down. Of course, the oil and cooling must be right.

Hope this may help you a little bit, I like to recommend you to get directly in Touch with "VOLVO Action service“, a 24/7 „global break down service in 28 languages“.

My best wishes.
Stay calm and carry on..

Best Regards

Ulrich
<>

Sv Garulfo

Paul,

To find out what the error code is, you need to press the rotokey button long enough (7sec) to get in OEM mode, then you’ll see the fault(s) and select them to get the codes. 

Those are references in the workshop manual that will indicate what the problem is. It is now available in the ‘Volvo Penta’ folder. 

Hope this will help. Let us what you find in case we can collectively help. 

Best
Thomas
GARULFO 
A54-122
Hiva Oa, French Polynesia 

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 06:53, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I’ve recently started getting the following error message from my Volvo 110:

Caution

Check engine

Service required

Torque reduced

I changed the oil, oil & fuel filters and impellor, but the error message remains. I can’t see anything about this in the user manual. Any ideas? Am I supposed to tell it I’ve carried out the service? (like you do for some cars) I doubt it though as this is the first time in 8 years I’ve seen this.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

ULRICH DANGELMEYER

Hi Paul,

Volvo Action Service recommends on Grenada „Grenada Marine“ as local Volvo dealer. luck happens!

phone: 1473 443 1667
http://grenadamarine.com
info@...
adress: Corinth, St. David´s

good luck!
Cheers
Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ /A54#088
<>

Am 09.03.2020 um 18:19 schrieb Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...>:

Thanks Ulrich, I may see if I can find the Volvo dealer here.

Cheers,
Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of ULRICH DANGELMEYER
Sent: 09 March 2020 13:10

Hi, Paul,

this error message sounds very familiar… on our D3-110 we had 3 years ago, just when we wanted to leave, exactly such a message with red light warning, engine failure! no further information. You can read in your Volvo manual which error codes are displayed. But then you still don't know which error is present. In any case, you need a Volvo technician with a VODIA tester, who can read the error memory of your ECU and delete it later. In our case an experienced electronic technician first tried his luck, but he could only suspect a sensor error.

My best wishes.
Stay calm and carry on..

Best Regards

Ulrich
<>

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Thanks Ulrich, I may see if I can find the Volvo dealer here.

Cheers,
Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of ULRICH DANGELMEYER
Sent: 09 March 2020 13:10

Hi, Paul,

this error message sounds very familiar… on our D3-110 we had 3 years ago, just when we wanted to leave, exactly such a message with red light warning, engine failure! no further information. You can read in your Volvo manual which error codes are displayed. But then you still don't know which error is present. In any case, you need a Volvo technician with a VODIA tester, who can read the error memory of your ECU and delete it later. In our case an experienced electronic technician first tried his luck, but he could only suspect a sensor error.

My best wishes.
Stay calm and carry on..

Best Regards

Ulrich
<>

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98