Topics

In mast Furler - A simple precaution for the (occasionally) inattentive skipper

PAOLO CUNEO

Hi all Amelians

after some month as "read only" member, during which I developed a sincere admiration for the level of competence of my fellow Amelians,  this is my first intervention as an active participant, with a humble but potentially money saver contribution.

Sometime ago, in my absence, a technician on board for an intervention must have deposed his toolbox or an equivalent heavy item right on top of the command panel (which, because of the intervention in progress was "on"), inadvertently activating the Main roller, which furled and unfurled many times inside the main mast, creating a solid tangle of aluminum profile and sailcloth inside the groove. In spite of the intervention of some of the most experienced riggers in the area, it resulted impossible to pull the sail out.

End result: one (almost new) mainsail cut and extracted in nice stripes of sailcloth, an internal al profile twisted beyond repair, a transfer to Amel's Hyères base, dismasting, replacing the profile, re-masting, buying a new main  and suing the insurance company for persuading them that the internal roller was in fact part of the (insured) Rigging.

Some months and about $15.000 later, in hindsight, I produced the small device shown in the photo . I am pretty sure that many Amelians have already produced something to the same effect  but, wathever the form it may take, I warmly recommend all colleagues to adopt if they are not so diligent as to remember to switch off the command panel from inside every time it is out of their sight.

Kindest regards to you all

Paolo Cuneo

SM 454 “WHISPER” currently in Genoa

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Complimenti, un'ottima idea, di facile realizzazione!
Saluti.

Giorgio Ardrizzi
sy Saudade III, Sharki #1

Il Lun 9 Mar 2020, 18:33 PAOLO CUNEO <pc43ge@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Paolo;

It is great to see that you are contributing to this forum. There are so many lessons that are better learned as shared, rather than experienced in person.

I’m sorry to see that you had to go through so much time, effort and resources to correct what could have easily been prevented by a more careful technician.

I would also like to add that we try to prevent errors by outside vendors, by never allowing any work to be done on the boat without our presence. Given the number of systems on an Amel, it is not hard to envision what types of mishaps they can create.

Thanks for sharing and welcome .

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

william reynolds

Brilliant solution. My 1st mate has stated several times that "Maybe we otter" do something to cover/protect the switches while underway.
I see a great cottage industry opportunity here here. This should be standard equipment on all Amels. Could you post an engineering drawing?
Bill and Joanna
Cloulstreet
SM2k 331

PAOLO CUNEO

Thanks  to all Amelians for their welcome and the interest for my suggestion.
 I cannot reach Whisper at the moment ( even if myself, my house, my business and my Amel are all located in Genoa) due the severe restrictions to movement introduced by the government in Italy following to the violent outbreak of Covid-19 Coronavirus in the  Country.
As soon as possible I will follow with some drawings and detail
Fair winds

Paolo Cuneo
SM#454 Whisper
now quarantined (skipper included) in Genoa

Paul Osterberg

Thank's Paolo
I have thought about a similar solution myself. What material is it made of? Not plexiglas or Macralon I assume as they are not thermoplastic and not possible to bend by heat. I guess it might be made of a Polystyren sheet? I'm now inspired to try to make one myself
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 wintering in Lagos, Portugal sykerpa.com

Matt Salatino

Stay well!

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Mar 10, 2020, at 5:07 PM, PAOLO CUNEO <pc43ge@...> wrote:

Thanks  to all Amelians for their welcome and the interest for my suggestion.
 I cannot reach Whisper at the moment ( even if myself, my house, my business and my Amel are all located in Genoa) due the severe restrictions to movement introduced by the government in Italy following to the violent outbreak of Covid-19 Coronavirus in the  Country.
As soon as possible I will follow with some drawings and detail
Fair winds

Paolo Cuneo
SM#454 Whisper
now quarantined (skipper included) in Genoa

PAOLO CUNEO

Hi all
Here some more info.
The material is 5mm polystyrene (see attached photo), bent using a hot air gun, and drilled/ rectified with the two 14 mm bits below..
Some practical tips :
Drill first before bending. In my first attempt, heating after drilling, the heat completely distorted the holes and I was forced to throw the piece.
Drill at both sides two pilot holes prior to full drilling to avoid fragmenting the edges and keep rpm as low as possible, whilst cooling with water during the operation: as soon as the temp increases, the material immediately melts making your tools unusable.
Heat the sheet uniformly on both sides, otherwise it will immediately crack, especially at the edges.
Heat bending is, at least for me, an awkward process and, if I had to replicate the piece, I would probably opt for a flat piece of polystyrene and four small s/steel legs at the four corners, or, to the same effect two “U” shaped brackets on two opposite sides, perhaps a less stylish solution but much much simpler to make.
Obviously, if the boat is at hand, to produce a template directly on the spot is the obvious choice. Otherwise, as soon as the Covid-19 restrictions of movement currently in force in Italy are lifted, I’ll produce a drawing with all the measurements

Best
Paolo Cuneo
SM #454 Whisper, currently in Genoa

Inviato da iPad

PAOLO CUNEO

Sorry, a cut and paste mishap, second paragraph of my previous message should obviously read “heath first before drilling.....”
Paolo Cuneo
Whisper

Inviato da iPad