Topics

Where to put the life raft

Davi Rozgonyi

Wow to what Eric was relating.... but that sort of bring up my point: I haven't been even remotely tested in this boat in horrific conditions, but from everything I read and hear (including just now with Eric's account above), I don't think you'll need a liferaft in horrific conditions. The Amels aren't going to be sunk like that. I'd say the two likeliest causes of needing a life raft would be ramming something in normal conditions (also less likely to sink us with the waterproof bulkheads and a good crash pump onboard, which most of us carry), or fire. That leaves fire. And in a fire situation, I'd be happiest on the aft rail where mine is mounted, not up front or in the cockpit. Just my 2 cents...

Teun BAAS

When replacing my OEM 8 person raft last year I was told similar; you don’t want a life raft much larger than the expected occupancy. Having 2 people in an 8 persons raft makes it also vulnerable to being blown/turned upside down in which case you will never be able to right it again in heavy sea: thus virtually impossible to survive as the top of the life raft can NOT function as a solid bottom.

So I got a new 4 person life raft to replace the 8 person ZODIAC. Also – since ZODIA was no longer produced/available & all replacements were deeper it necessitated a welding adjustment to the cradle in the rail.  

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

April 20, 2020 14:03:58

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas Kleman via groups.io
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 13:10
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Where to put the life raft

For what it's worth, I was talking to a coast guard guy about rafts recently. I was about to replace my 6 person zodiac with another 6 person raft. He cautioned that most bail out injuries happen after you're in the raft getting thrown around. He said 2 people in a 4 person raft was probably safer as you tend not to be propelled from one side to the other. It's also lighter obviously when deploying it.

Thomas Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Oahu

Thomas Kleman

For what it's worth, I was talking to a coast guard guy about rafts recently. I was about to replace my 6 person zodiac with another 6 person raft. He cautioned that most bail out injuries happen after you're in the raft getting thrown around. He said 2 people in a 4 person raft was probably safer as you tend not to be propelled from one side to the other. It's also lighter obviously when deploying it.

Thomas Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Oahu

eric freedman

Hi Gary,

That is a nice place to store a life raft. However if you have even had your total boat under water, As I have, you will probably lose the raft. That’s why I keep mine in the port locker.

I recall many waves submerging the boat to a point where I had to hold my breath in the cockpit till the water subsided. The first thing I then saw were just the 2 masts sticking out of the water and no boat visible, that was really a cool sight..

FYI, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the cockpit to drain.

No water down below,  nothing was flying around and no cabinets opened. That lasted for 36 hours.

Thank You Captain Henry !!!

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Wells
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2020 9:41 AM

So, this might sound a bit unconventional but I keep my hard cased Winslow below decks in the wet locker next to the nav station ... except when actually sailing.
The hard case is a bit cumbersome weighing in at 69 lbs but even though it's hard plastic, the sticker says "do no store outside". 
It's six years old and still in great shape except for some UV damage to the nylon tether cover.

When we are sailing, and this came about because of the ARC's "15 seconds to the rail" rule, I set it on the port side of the aft deck.  It fits perfectly between the cabin top cleat and the grab rail.  I do use a soft rubber "grate" (maybe it's a former dish-drying rack) underneath to prevent scratching the deck and also let water flow beneath it.
It's held in place with a ratchet tie down from the cleat, over the top and back down to the rail and then "x" it back.  The aft mizzen shroud is involved to stabilize it. and the tether is connected to the cleat.

The setup works fine and to get the raft in the water is a single cut through the strap then toss it in over the railing (I guess if you had time  you could just undo the ratchet straps :))

I've never taken a dedicated picture of the setup, but I sure will when we get going next month. 

Important for me is that it is ~readily~ available; no hoisting, opening lockers or struggle.  Secondarily, it is temporary .. only when we are actively cruising... I even have a canvas cover for it when we are at anchor so the sun won't bake it any more than necessary. 

Just an option.

Oh, and +1 on the Winslow.  I was present when they serviced mine and got to watch it inflate and then I poked around into all the pockets and did a 'test grab' of some of the boarding lines.  I'm glad I chose it.  The 6 person looks just right, and roomy .. for the two of us :)

Cheers :)

Gary W. 
SM 209, Adagio
Georgia, USA

Gary Wells

So, this might sound a bit unconventional but I keep my hard cased Winslow below decks in the wet locker next to the nav station ... except when actually sailing.
The hard case is a bit cumbersome weighing in at 69 lbs but even though it's hard plastic, the sticker says "do no store outside". 
It's six years old and still in great shape except for some UV damage to the nylon tether cover.

When we are sailing, and this came about because of the ARC's "15 seconds to the rail" rule, I set it on the port side of the aft deck.  It fits perfectly between the cabin top cleat and the grab rail.  I do use a soft rubber "grate" (maybe it's a former dish-drying rack) underneath to prevent scratching the deck and also let water flow beneath it.
It's held in place with a ratchet tie down from the cleat, over the top and back down to the rail and then "x" it back.  The aft mizzen shroud is involved to stabilize it. and the tether is connected to the cleat.

The setup works fine and to get the raft in the water is a single cut through the strap then toss it in over the railing (I guess if you had time  you could just undo the ratchet straps :))

I've never taken a dedicated picture of the setup, but I sure will when we get going next month. 

Important for me is that it is ~readily~ available; no hoisting, opening lockers or struggle.  Secondarily, it is temporary .. only when we are actively cruising... I even have a canvas cover for it when we are at anchor so the sun won't bake it any more than necessary. 

Just an option.

Oh, and +1 on the Winslow.  I was present when they serviced mine and got to watch it inflate and then I poked around into all the pockets and did a 'test grab' of some of the boarding lines.  I'm glad I chose it.  The 6 person looks just right, and roomy .. for the two of us :)

Cheers :)

Gary W. 
SM 209, Adagio
Georgia, USA

eric freedman

As I mentioned Winslow has at least 5 different hard cases that you can select . What attracted me to that raft was the boarding platform, . If you ever tried to get into a dinghy from the water you will know what I am talking about. In addition how many stories have you heard of a raft flipping and the occupants lost all their supplies. The Winslow has closable pockets.

With respect to a ditch bag. You should have one that floats. Mine will float with 40 pounds  of gear.

It has a waterproof zipper. I attached a strong lanyard and a snap shackle to it. It has my water maker, Epirb,

GPs, VHF, Emergency rations and many aerial flares. My second ditch bag has many more things including a board to cut fish on.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Craig & Katherine Briggs SN 68 Sangaris Tropic Isle Harbor, FL via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 7:29 PM

Right you are, Eric, the WInslow would be a super choice and I was close to buying that. It's an exceptionally designed life raft.  As I recall the soft pack would fit nicely in my SN port cockpit lazarette locker, along with a proper ditch kit.
I've got a DBC hard pack that's a monster. 
Cheers, Craig

Craig Briggs

Right you are, Eric, the WInslow would be a super choice and I was close to buying that. It's an exceptionally designed life raft.  As I recall the soft pack would fit nicely in my SN port cockpit lazarette locker, along with a proper ditch kit.
I've got a DBC hard pack that's a monster. 
Cheers, Craig

eric freedman

If you ever get around to getting a new raft, Winslow has at least 5 different containers to pack a raft. It is also serviced every 3 years.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Craig & Katherine Briggs SN 68 Sangaris Tropic Isle Harbor, FL via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2020 9:15 PM

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Eric,
Yes, I did consider putting the life raft in the cockpit port locker, but found that space more valuable for frequently used things. Dinghy stuff, fishing tackle box, maintenance stuff and like that. Plus, we're not currently in the mode of extended off-shore passage making, like you. 
Cheers, Craig
Oops, forgot the #1 reason; the SN cockpit locker is smaller than the SM and the raft doesn't fit!

Craig Briggs

Edited

Hi Eric,
Yes, I did consider putting the life raft in the cockpit port locker, but found that space more valuable for frequently used things. Dinghy stuff, fishing tackle box, maintenance stuff and like that. Plus, we're not currently in the mode of extended off-shore passage making, like you. 
Cheers, Craig
Oops, forgot the #1 reason; the SN cockpit locker is smaller than the SM and the raft doesn't fit!

eric freedman

Hi Craig,

Had you thought of putting your life raft in the cockpit port locker?

It is very easy to get out from there. In addition, in horrific conditions, you really don’t want to be at the stern.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Gas springs on the aft Lasarett

Hi Paul and Lady Annita,

I have also been toying with adding gas struts to my aft locker because that is where I have my life raft and it is pretty heavy to lift up (more so every year :-)  Some thoughts I have considered are that tail gates on automobiles do open more than 90 degrees, so that should not be a problem. However, you really do not need the hatch to automatically open and close to its full swing. A manual operation where it simply gives an assist on opening would be fine (like the SM cockpit/engine room hatch).  if it opened more than 90 degrees, no problem, you could just start the closing by hand and the piston would provide the dampening to give a soft close.
I haven't engineered a specific solution yet, but it seems totally feasible. Any further thoughts/ideas or specific gas strut recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers, Craig