Topics

Where to put the life raft

Davi Rozgonyi

Wow to what Eric was relating.... but that sort of bring up my point: I haven't been even remotely tested in this boat in horrific conditions, but from everything I read and hear (including just now with Eric's account above), I don't think you'll need a liferaft in horrific conditions. The Amels aren't going to be sunk like that. I'd say the two likeliest causes of needing a life raft would be ramming something in normal conditions (also less likely to sink us with the waterproof bulkheads and a good crash pump onboard, which most of us carry), or fire. That leaves fire. And in a fire situation, I'd be happiest on the aft rail where mine is mounted, not up front or in the cockpit. Just my 2 cents...

Teun BAAS

When replacing my OEM 8 person raft last year I was told similar; you don’t want a life raft much larger than the expected occupancy. Having 2 people in an 8 persons raft makes it also vulnerable to being blown/turned upside down in which case you will never be able to right it again in heavy sea: thus virtually impossible to survive as the top of the life raft can NOT function as a solid bottom.

So I got a new 4 person life raft to replace the 8 person ZODIAC. Also – since ZODIA was no longer produced/available & all replacements were deeper it necessitated a welding adjustment to the cradle in the rail.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

April 20, 2020 14:03:58

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

For what it's worth, I was talking to a coast guard guy about rafts recently. I was about to replace my 6 person zodiac with another 6 person raft. He cautioned that most bail out injuries happen after you're in the raft getting thrown around. He said 2 people in a 4 person raft was probably safer as you tend not to be propelled from one side to the other. It's also lighter obviously when deploying it.

Thomas Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Oahu

Thomas Kleman

For what it's worth, I was talking to a coast guard guy about rafts recently. I was about to replace my 6 person zodiac with another 6 person raft. He cautioned that most bail out injuries happen after you're in the raft getting thrown around. He said 2 people in a 4 person raft was probably safer as you tend not to be propelled from one side to the other. It's also lighter obviously when deploying it.

Thomas Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Oahu

eric freedman

Hi Gary,

That is a nice place to store a life raft. However if you have even had your total boat under water, As I have, you will probably lose the raft. That’s why I keep mine in the port locker.

I recall many waves submerging the boat to a point where I had to hold my breath in the cockpit till the water subsided. The first thing I then saw were just the 2 masts sticking out of the water and no boat visible, that was really a cool sight..

FYI, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the cockpit to drain.

No water down below,  nothing was flying around and no cabinets opened. That lasted for 36 hours.

Thank You Captain Henry !!!

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376