From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Arno Luijten
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 8:25 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Barred from St Maarten

Hi Eric,

I'm a resident of St. Maarten.
I will not try to defend the gouvenment of St. Maarten as these are as incompentent as they get in the Caribbean. However the current situation in the world makes even the most "civilised" country a madhouse for regulations. Please show me a country that hasn't come up with measures that seem downright silly at this point in time. None of the country's (if you want to call them that) in the Caribbean is prepared for these kind of problems, so please cut them some slack. It's not easy for the officials to apply the rules if the government changes them almost every hour.
The fact that St. Maarten uses double standards is a fact know to everyone in the Caribbean and there are very few Island that act differently. It how the Caribbean operates, no thanks to the former colonists.

So I feel sorry for you that your plans are blocked for now but you are not the only one and everybody is trying to circumvent the rules in ways they see fit. So I would not like to be a "official" at this point in time no matter how crazy they can be during normal times.
The support St. Maarten gets from the Dutch government (being part of the same Kingdom) is quite sad as well.

So if this a a proof of anything it's the proof we still have a long way to go as humanity to properly rule the world.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

eric freedman

Good afternoon Alexandre,

Thank You for keeping an eye on Kimberlite !!

I completely understand the logic about not letting anyone on to the island. However Hank offered to self quarantine outside the bridge for 14 days.

Secondly did you notice this in his email? I cannot understand why this anomaly happened – I guess money talks.

What I left out in my article is that I watched the Mega Yacht “Seven Sins” make the bridge the day after I arrived and was at anchor refused entry.  So they can break the rules for some boats, but not others. Please pass this on to your friend. They can make exceptions for those who have money, but not for friends like me. The boat had several guests and more crew aboard and came from St. Bart’s, one of the infected islands.  I made sure I did not stop in a French island, but that did not matter after all, did it?. I tell the people from SXM who have responded with the same reply, “Don’t make excuses for your badly trained and surly customs agents.”  The locals never have to deal with them and we know better. So don’t buy that cr*p about they are just following the rules. Bull*hit!

My town on Long Island, Huntington, is the epicenter of the virus on Long Island with more than 1000 cases.

New York state had almost 2000 deaths yesterday. We are all aware of the hazards of the virus. The projection for the USA and the peak of the deaths in the USA will occur about April 14 with about 2500 deaths that day. It just annoyed me that they let the big yacht in and did not allow Hank to stay at anchor for 14 days.

Please stay safe and say hello to my friends on the island.

I am looking forward to seeing you soon.

Fair Winds

Eric

Arno Luijten

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Eric,

Advocation has been the gossip of the island.

But I think, he needs to understand that since the 22nd, the island is in complete shut down, no one, not even the “resident” are allowed to come in.

This was announced 5 days before he arrived….

It is for safety measures.  Sint Maarten has very little medical resources and can not take any chances…

Already our case jump from 6 to 16 plus as many on the French side.

That is 3 time the world average...

People on critical condition on the French side are flown to Guadeloupe where they usually arrive too late.

One just died yesterday on the Dutch Side.

About boats passing the bridge:

vessels already here have the right to pass the bridge, just like people can use their dinghy or people can walk in the street.

Being in Sint Maarten, I am very impressed on how the government is taking initiatives, sure they are strict,  but I think proportional to the risk and its consequences.  Keep in mind Hurricane Irma is a very vivid memory in all of us.

On a personal note; I haven’t been able/allowed to go back to Kimberlite, but I checked with binocular.

When the curfew is lift, I will be glad to assist.

Sincerely, Alexandre

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 10:57:49 PM UTC, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi,

I was planning on flying down to Kimberlite which is in St Maarten last Tuesday. Unfortunately the island was closed as of last Monday.
Since Pantaenius is not renewing any policies, I need an out of water survey. It looks like I won’t be able to get to St Marten till June, my policy expires June 10. I spoke to my friends on the island and even my friend ,chief inspector of police, said there was nothing he could do for me.

Please read what happened to my friend Hank Schmitt he Owns OPO which finds crew for boat owners at no cost to the owners. Please read the link when he attempted to land on St Maarten—also read his additional

Comments at the end –

The “Friendly Island”  B.S.

Please pass it on.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

Dear OPO Members and Fellow Sailors,

These are trying times, especially when you are denied entry into you winter home port of refuge. For pictures and full story can be found at:

WaveTrain: https://wavetrain.net/2020/03/29/evicted-from-sxm-virus-tales-from-the-caribbean/

This is Charlie Doane’s Blog and safe to open. It will also be included in the April 1st “OPO Notice to Mariners” along with other news which you will get if you are an OPO member.

Enjoy

And stay safe!

Hank Schmitt

OPO

What I left out in my article is that I watched the Mega Yacht “Seven Sins” make the bridge the day after I arrived and was at anchor refused entry.  So they can break the rules for some boats, but not others. Please pass this on to your friend. They can make exceptions for those who have money, but not for friends like me. The boat had several guests and more crew aboard and came from St. Bart’s, one of the infected islands.  I made sure I did not stop in a French island, but that did not matter after all, did it?. I tell the people from SXM who have responded with the same reply, “Don’t make excuses for your badly trained and surly customs agents.”  The locals never have to deal with them and we know better. So don’t buy that cr*p about they are just following the rules. Bull*hit!

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Courtney you made. Bless you and your family. I called to you on vhf outside of St.Pierre. I'm so happy that you made it safely. What a journey! We were heading to Trinidad before they closed the border. We diverted to St.Anne Martinique. Here we stay for how long who knows? For all those stranded sailors keep safe and well. A well stocked Amel is a good place to be. This too will pass.

Chuck and Kim
Joy #388

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 7:42 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
We we’re headed to Saint Martin when all of this started we left Martinique on Sunday the 15th and then sale up to Dominica the situation there was that we were going to have to self quarantine to go on the island so the next day we sailed to Isle de Saints.  We grabbed a mooring ball and before we had finished tying off our mooring lines local officials came to the boat and told us we had to leave at that point we were supposed to drop our kids off in Antica the upcoming Saturday and then spend the next week heading to Saint Martin so glad we made the decision just to sell straight to Saint Thomas or the kids were able to fly home on Saturday ( new flights were less than the refunds for the Antigua tix)
Cindy and I decided it was best to bring Trippin back to the states.  So we spent the next 9 days sailing to Brunswick with one overnight in the Ragged Islands
Quite an unexpected and unplanned 1800 mile journey.  I write this while taking the 1000 miles back to home which will take hours not days
Cheers 🥂 to all of you stay safe
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

[...]