Topics

Location of the battery bank on an older Super Maramu

Mark Barter

On our 1993 Super Maramu I have been trying to work out what the previous owner did regarding altering the location of the battery bank. He made many modifications and I am not always sure why he made them.

At present there are 4 batteries under the passage berth. 3 of them are in a box and there is another one underneath which is accessible by removing the forward drawer under the berth. In addition the previous owner fitted an additional battery box in the wet locker with 2 batteries in it. So we have 6 house batteries.

In the engine compartment there is a box which just has the engine starter battery in it. It looks as if it previously also had maybe 4 house batteries in it. The battery leads are still there. I can't be sure how many batteries this box would fit because I am not anywhere near the boat.

When we can eventually get back to the boat one of the jobs I would like to do is to change over to lithium.  In order to do so I will need space for 8 batteries. I would also like to utilise the wet locker for a washing machine.

Has anyone fitted 8 batteries to this model of Amel and, if so, where did you put them?

--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Mark and Nicky,

The early SM’s had only 4 house batteries and these were located in a smallish battery box against the forward bulkhead of the engine bay.  We have 1989 SM007 which was extensively refitted before we undertook our RTW.  During the refit, we copied the early SM2k and installed 8 X 100 Ah batteries into a fabricated box under the passage way bunk.  Additionally, we kept the start battery in the engine bay and raised its capacity to 1100CCA.  The cables for the house batteries were routed via a watertight branch out just aft of the bulkhead forming the gangway.  If you go for lithium, I expect you’ll only need a total of 600Amps given they recharge so quickly so the area under the bunk will have room to spare. You may also want the engine battery relocated there as well as MPPT controller etc…  We have a 3Kw inverter as well and an induction cook top plus an Ocean Chef 3 gas hob/cook top.  (The aim was to increase redundancy and reliability). (Be warned… this was expensive and lots of work….)

We modified the main engine alternator and installed a smart controller, added 2 new 2460 Victron house battery chargers with smart controllers, Victron 712 battery monitor.  Add 3 X 150 A solar panels with a Victron MPPT controller and we were done.  Works perfectly after 5 years of 24/7 live aboard.  We are pleased.

Best of luck but if I may suggest, stick to a tried and proven Amel solution… like we did.  Resale value will be adversely affected otherwise.

GL

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Opua NZ

On 13 Apr 2020, at 00:05, Mark Barter <markbarter100@...> wrote:

[...]

Jean-Pierre Germain

Davi Rozgonyi

Hey there, our 1991 SM#56 has a lot of later SM2000 features/upgrades as far as I can tell. One of them from the sounds of it is the battery setup. Under the passage bed fits perfectly: 8 house batteries, the starter battery, and solar and wind controller. That is what I would do, I can't imagine anything else for it. Here some pics, but I couldn't really open the top very high due to supplies being stored there atm...

John Clark

Agree with all previous posters.  Annie, SM37 has the house batteries, six of them under the passage bunk.  They are arranged in two groups of three with the disconnect in the cabinet in the middle.    Not sure who did the modification or if it was from the factory.  The workmanship looks good, like original.    The engine battery is located in the box at the base of the fwd engine room bulkhead.  Yes it looks like more batteries can fit there however that space is now the reserve lube oil and coolant storage...along with some engine maintenance items.  There is a second power disconnect above the box that kills 24&12 volt power...seems to me that would indicate the batteries were relocated after leaving the factory.  I am running all AGMs, they are about eight years old and still hanging in there.  I have and recommend 650w of solar panels on an arch and the original hydrogenerator on the shaft.  When sailing above 5 kts I never need genset, at anchor maybe every few days....with two people.  Right now with just me and the dog onboard, two refrigerators on at anchor solar tops off batteries by 4pm in the USVI.

John Clark
Annie SM 37
Water Island USVI