Topics

Xantrex Link 10 Battery Monitor

Thomas Kleman

The plastic over the buttons on my Link 10 is cracking and falling off so I'm considering replacing it. I'm wondering if I choose the Xantrex Link Pro or Link Lite if I need to change the shunt and wiring (I e start from scratch) or can use the existing shunt and wiring. Hoping someone has done this.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Quarantined in Oahu

Stefan Jeukendrup

Hi Tom,

I had the same amd since 2017 I am happy with this replacement for 130 euro incl. 21% tax:

https://tbs-electronics.com/product/expert-lite-battery-monitor-12v-24v

It is a modern design using a Microchip PIC processor and a dual 16 bit sigma delta ADC.

Yes, you can re-use the existing cabling, fuse holders and the 500A/50mV shunt of the Xantrex.

Or you use the TBS supplied one, pull a new CAT5 and do not forget to fit their fuses.

Note that you cannot measure the 12V starter battery as "aux" battery without using an extra isolation amplifier as  the engine/genset circuit is completely isolated from the service batteries.

Hope this helps you,

Stefan Jeukendrup

sv MalakaQueen

SM2k #348  @ Monastir, Tunesia

Dan Carlson

Hi Tom,

I don't know what your longer term electrical vision is, but I replaced mine with the Victron BMV 712.  It has a nice Blue Tooth interface and app on your phone.  I already had a Victron Blue Solar MPPT and was installing a Victron MultiPlus Charger/inverter to replace my 100amp charger and 2000watt inverter.

Then I also installed a Victron Venus GX for about $200 and that takes the input from all your Victron devices and sends them via WiFi to any onboard devices you want and also be if you have an external wifi connection you can send info to the Victron connect network.  This can be useful if you can be connected to a marina/boatyard wifi when you are away from your boat to monitor your electrical system.  Victron has several GX products. The Venus does not have a screen. Lori did not want to add anymore displays in the galley. So we mounted it in the cabinet above the sink, just starboard of the autopilot.  I think they now have a newer product but I have not reviewed the features.

Have fun.

Dan and Lori in sv BeBe, sm #387, currently in Les Saintes

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020, 9:41 PM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
The plastic over the buttons on my Link 10 is cracking and falling off so I'm considering replacing it. I'm wondering if I choose the Xantrex Link Pro or Link Lite if I need to change the shunt and wiring (I e start from scratch) or can use the existing shunt and wiring. Hoping someone has done this.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Quarantined in Oahu

Paul Guenette

Hi Dan,

How difficult was it to install the install of the Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor ?

How difficult was it to do the wire run from the shunt to the new monitor ?

Do you have any suggestions in doing this upgrade project ?

I hope this finds you both well.

Thanks Paul

Paul in sv Aramis, SM 444, currently in the San Francisco Bay, California

Mark Erdos

Paul,

I installed a Xantrex LinkLite – it uses all the same wiring and shunts as the Amel OEM.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/power-accessories/linklite-battery-monitor.aspx

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

How difficult was it to install the install of the Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor ?

How difficult was it to do the wire run from the shunt to the new monitor ?

Do you have any suggestions in doing this upgrade project ?

I hope this finds you both well.

Thanks Paul

Paul in sv Aramis, SM 444, currently in the San Francisco Bay, California

eric freedman

Paul,

I mounted mine at the nav station as we log it every hour when making a passage.

It is a more convenient place for me.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

How difficult was it to install the install of the Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor ?

How difficult was it to do the wire run from the shunt to the new monitor ?

Do you have any suggestions in doing this upgrade project ?

I hope this finds you both well.

Thanks Paul

Paul in sv Aramis, SM 444, currently in the San Francisco Bay, California

Dan Carlson

Hi Paul,  on BeBe the Victron BMV712 went into the same round hole in the 24v panel that the previous Link 10 had been in.  The BMV came with a shunt and it uses a cat 5 cable with quick connect ends.  I used the old Link 10 cable to pull the new BMV cable through from behind the battery compartment over head (conduits) to the cabinet over the galley sink where the 24 volt panel is mounted. The new shunt with a quick connect terminal has the same dimensions and battery connections as our previous shunt.

The Victron Venus GX is mounted just behind the 24 panel in the same cabinet.  It requires a power source, and then the in/outs from your BMV, MPPT, MultiPlus, ... So that is what should determine its location.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe (SM #387) currently in Les Saintes, Guadeloupe