Topics

𝗭𝗢𝗢𝗠 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝘁𝗼𝗴𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿

All,

I received an excellent suggestion from an Amel owner this morning. He suggested a ZOOM meeting for interested owners to discuss a few topics.

I envision us meeting for a total of 30 minutes to discuss two issues. If there is interest we could schedule subsequent ZOOM meetings.

Is there any member of our group that is experienced with hosting a ZOOM meeting and willing to volunteer to moderate the meeting?

Any other thoughts?

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Petaris

Hi Bill,

Just a suggestion, whomever hosts the meeting should google for recommended Zoom security settings and implement them.  This will prevent the "Zoom-bombing" that has been in the news lately.

This resource from Cornell University seems to cover the recommended settings:  https://it.cornell.edu/zoom/keep-zoom-meetings-private-and-reduce-odds-zoombombing

- Justin

--
Justin Paulsen
IT Professional

"The world is open, are you?"

Courtney Gorman

I’d be interested
Cheers
Courtney

On Apr 17, 2020, at 1:12 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

All,

I received an excellent suggestion from an Amel owner this morning. He suggested a ZOOM meeting for interested owners to discuss a few topics.

I envision us meeting for a total of 30 minutes to discuss two issues. If there is interest we could schedule subsequent ZOOM meetings.

Is there any member of our group that is experienced with hosting a ZOOM meeting and willing to volunteer to moderate the meeting?

Any other thoughts?

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Joey Roane

Great idea. I would certainly attend. Do you already know which 2 issues might be discussed? I have some experience with Zoom and might be able to host pending additional details.

Joey

On Apr 17, 2020, at 13:12, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

All,

I received an excellent suggestion from an Amel owner this morning. He suggested a ZOOM meeting for interested owners to discuss a few topics.

I envision us meeting for a total of 30 minutes to discuss two issues. If there is interest we could schedule subsequent ZOOM meetings.

Is there any member of our group that is experienced with hosting a ZOOM meeting and willing to volunteer to moderate the meeting?

Any other thoughts?

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Petaris

Hi again,

I just checked and all of these except for "Limit Screen Sharing to the Host" and the "Lock Your Session" are now default settings in Zoom.  The "Lock Your Session" can only be done after you are in the meeting with all of the participants anyway and I'm not sure that it would be needed for this.  Also meeting passwords are required by default now, though they can be turned off.  Just something to keep in mind.

Take care,

Justin

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 1:41 PM Justin Paulsen <petaris@...> wrote:
[...]

Tilo Peters

Hi Bill,

While I’m not yet an Amel owner, I am well experienced in hosting Zoom meetings and have an institutional Pro account, so could host up to 250 participants for an unlimited amount of time. I’d be happy to lend this resource and my time to this worthy venture.

Best,

Tilo Peters
Zurich, Switzerland

On 17Apr, 2020, at 22:18, Petaris <petaris@...> wrote:

[...]

Alexander Schenk

Hello,

I would be interested to participate.

Alexander Schenk

SM #231
Antinea

On 17 Apr 2020, at 22:28, Tilo Peters <tilo.peters@...> wrote:

[...]

ste.dente

I would be interested too. I have experience with Zoom as participant and I know that the number of participants is limited. So it could be very useful when Tilo could use his Pro account and host 250 participants.
Thanks

Stefania Dente
SN#93
Italy Bocca di Magra

Charles Bell

I would like to take part as well! :)

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

That's a great idea Bill.  And, good timing seeing that just about everyone except for Ultimo is on lock-down!

Just my two cents.  Limit the two issues to 15 minutes, then after the 30 minutes we could launch into an in-depth conversation for those that wanted to stick around.  30 minutes might not be enough time to really get something out of the conversation.

What ever you guys decide is OK by me....

Ken Powers

Alejandro Paquin

Good morning, I´d like to take part too....
--
Alex Paquin
S/V " SIMPATICO"

scentstone

HI BIll,

Thank you ! I'll be very happy to join if time-difference allows ;-)

Just one word about Zoom, as some stated, they are facing serious privacy concerns.

Another suggestion if you prefer not installing their crappy stuff you can try an open source, very simple system at https://meet.jit.si/ . Jitsi Meet is a fully encrypted, 100% open source video conferencing solution that you can use all day, every day, for free — with no account needed. ;-)

Example https://meet.jit.si/AmelYachtOwners   straight into your browser's window. Nothing else but joining (just look at the bottom for activating camera and sound )

[Note] Feel free to edit the post if it's not interesting or respecting the etiquette

Fred S/V ScentStone SM2K #375

greg greg

initially i thought to ask about the agenda for the meeting.... but now i'm sure the meeting itself is valuable regardless of the agenda :)

i go. don't see the time..

HOFMEYR SCHOLTZ

I there,
I'm a near-future Amel owner. If you'd have me please count me in.
Hofmeyr

Porter McRoberts

Love to be a part of this. Regardless of topics.
Porter
S/v ibis

On Apr 18, 2020, at 9:03 AM, HOFMEYR SCHOLTZ <hoffi@...> wrote:

I there,
I'm a near-future Amel owner. If you'd have me please count me in.
Hofmeyr

Paul Stascavage

I would be interested in joining the meeting.

All the Best,

Paul Stascavage
S/V Rita Kathryn SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Currently Cruising Bahamas

Brian Riggs

As a future SM2k owner, I'd love to lurk as well.

Cheers!
Brian Riggs

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020, 09:20 Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Love to be a part of this. Regardless of topics.
Porter
S/v ibis

On Apr 18, 2020, at 9:03 AM, HOFMEYR SCHOLTZ <hoffi@...> wrote:

I there,
I'm a near-future Amel owner. If you'd have me please count me in.
Hofmeyr

All,

I am going to wait a few more days to be able to get some more comments. I have been contacted by one group member who is an experienced ZOOM administrator and has a commercial account with ZOOM. This will benefit all of us.

Those interested please reply to this thread with their suggested topic(s), or any other suggestions. Once I have those suggestions, I will produce a "poll" of suggested date/times and topics.

When the above is completed, I plan to turn it over to the volunteer owner/administrator.

I am looking forward to this.

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 8:26 AM Brian Riggs <7briggs@...> wrote:
As a future SM2k owner, I'd love to lurk as well.

Cheers!
Brian Riggs

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020, 09:20 Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Love to be a part of this. Regardless of topics.
Porter
S/v ibis

On Apr 18, 2020, at 9:03 AM, HOFMEYR SCHOLTZ <hoffi@...> wrote:

I there,
I'm a near-future Amel owner. If you'd have me please count me in.
Hofmeyr

Ian Townsend

Interested.

A couple of SM specific topics:
- furler maintenance
- dodger window replacement
- galley upgrades eg. Refrigeration, oven/stove, sinks, taps, counters, etc.

Topics that might apply to all/most:
- rig tuning
- blue water dinghy storage
- anchors

Ian
SM153
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

[...]

 Hi All.
We would also be intrested if timing is suitable.
locked down in Spain.

Regards

Steve Bell
S/Y Dusk