Topics

ZOOM Meeting Technical Questions: #ZOOM

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi JP.

locked down a day sail North of you but in my home on the shores of Mill Bay Mangonui.

We have the duo 60 We had one end cap split where the joining tube between the end caps enters but the 0 ring still did its job and we didn't get a spray of water. I discovered the split when changing membranes. For simplicity I took the cap to a local NZ machine shop, he identified the material and made me a new one. Having said all that we have had no leak problems and believe with careful placement of the correct size 0 rings in all situations (To be sure of size  I get mine from desalator) and judicious tensioning  of the through bolts ensuring even tightness I doubt you should have a problem. Wrong 0 rings and or unequal tension and there may well be issues. The through bolts do not need to be particularly tight, they are just holding the end caps in place, the 0 rings stop the water. When putting the end caps in care has to be taken to ensure the 0 ring doesn't ride up out of its groove. I put a large cable tie over the o ring to hold it close in until it enters.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 21 April 2020 at 06:44 Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,

I had a pair of white end caps made by EMEK marine and these were not good. (I discarded them after just looking at them)  But even from the factory, immediately after installation, the black ones leaked and were badly drilled out.  Dessalator refused to replace under warranty even when supplied with photos….

I took a well turned end piece to a NZ shop and had a dozen made locally; they are done but I cannot pick them up due to lockdown…. Other Amel owners participated to a small group buy.  (About 60% of Dessalator price without delivery and GST costs)

What I’m most interested in is any modifications done to the tubes, end pieces or complete replacement of the Duo 100 membrane setup to deal with too many leaks.

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 21 Apr 2020, at 06:31, eric freedman < kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Jean-Pierre,
Did you have white colored end caps? If you did not and have the black end caps,
what modifications did you do to the new end caps?
Fair Winds
Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376