Topics

Best location for solar panels

Alin SM 283

Hi guys.
I know this subject must have been discussed before, I do not mind if you point me out to the right direction.
Anyway, I am seriously thinking solar panels for my Super Maramu.
The goal is to be able to at least run the fridges and sails and to minimize the use of the generator but I do not want to have an arch and do not one have Wanderer looking like a Xmas tree. I guess a little guidance to a minimum of power I should consider would be great
I really love the shape of my boat and the uncluttered and uncrowded lines.
My ideal of solar panels location would be on top of dog house or/and on the deck just in front of the windscreen. 
The question is, how much watts can I fit onto that area and how bad would be the shading from the boom. If someone has the time to send me some pictures of their setup, I would be most grateful.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Alin,

the best spot for two panels is on the port rail aft of the cockpit. I put mine there temporarily 11 years ago deciding to move them later if I didn't like the spot. Been fantastic Clamped to the rail 1/3 in 2/3 out. They don't need a brace and swing up easily when docking or any other time you want them out of the way. Works well for me. Come to Mangonui for a look when this lock down eases. This place means you don't loose deck space nor the ability to have a wide open top. Also cheap as chips to do, no good if you like to spend money.

Cheers

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 23 April 2020 at 16:42 "Alin SM 283 via groups.io" <sv.wanderer@...> wrote:

Hi guys.
I know this subject must have been discussed before, I do not mind if you point me out to the right direction.
The goal is to be able to at least run the fridges and sails and to minimize the use of the generator but I do not want to have an arch and do not one have Wanderer looking like a Xmas tree. I guess a little guidance to a minimum of power I should consider would be great
My ideal of solar panels location would be on top of dog house or/and on the deck just in front of the windscreen. 
The question is, how much watts can I fit onto that area and how bad would be the shading from the boom. If someone has the time to send me some pictures of their setup, I would be most grateful.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer

Alin SM 283

Hi Danny.
Thank you, I'd love to have a look.
Cheers
Alin

On Thursday, 23 April 2020, 05:10:32 pm NZST, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Alin,

the best spot for two panels is on the port rail aft of the cockpit. I put mine there temporarily 11 years ago deciding to move them later if I didn't like the spot. Been fantastic Clamped to the rail 1/3 in 2/3 out. They don't need a brace and swing up easily when docking or any other time you want them out of the way. Works well for me. Come to Mangonui for a look when this lock down eases. This place means you don't loose deck space nor the ability to have a wide open top. Also cheap as chips to do, no good if you like to spend money.

Cheers

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 23 April 2020 at 16:42 "Alin SM 283 via groups.io" <sv.wanderer@...> wrote:

Hi guys.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Alin;

We have also looked for a while for a solution that does not include the Arch. We also intend on switching to Lithium batteries when our current Gel setup needs replacing in 2-3 years. So, we are making all upgrades that become necessary prior to the installation of the lithiums,. Our design concept is one that will be installed in stages but engineered for the final design. For example, our inverter gave out last season, so we are looking at installing the Victron 8000/220A Inverter/charger.

After many years of looking and analyzing, we have almost settled on a hardtop over the cockpit area. Solbian factory has designed the max wattage for the area, design, shading, etc. and has come up with about 900 Watts of deck mounted, flexible and walk on cells.

Our calculations show that after completion of the final concept and installation of the lithium batteries, we should be able to run the entire 24V and 220V systems on board (Not Simultaneously) on batteries and depending on sun conditions, minimal generator usage. We currently do not have solar and we have to run the generator twice per day at anchor.

This is a more costly approach than the Arch, but like you, we like the lines of 54 and wanted a complementary design that did not take away from her sleek lines.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alin SM 283 via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 9:43 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Best location for solar panels

Hi guys.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer

Diego de Miguel (Sailing Living Lab) Amel Sharki

Hi Alin,
At present I am studying how to adapt SolarFace by Tecnalia in my Sharki, Acrobat II, 
I did it in my Acrobat I (Sigma 38 OOD) before, and these protypes have been working perfectly since I installed them in 2016.
Yo can see both boats in this video (sorry, not availabe subtitles in English)
I sent an e-mail to Amel to propose a collaboration with Tecnalia, months ago. Unfortunately they did not reply to me :-(
This tech allows to integrate solar cells into composite materials, so we can build parts fot our boats with the solar cells embebed into them. We can also manufacture flat parts adapted to the shape or the deck, as we did in Acrobat I.
Also we could design and build a beautiful and stylized solar arch.
There are a lot of posibilities!
But Tecnalia needs the molds in order to manufacture the proyotypes and the collaborartion of a manufacturer for serial production (Tecnalia is a Technological Center, not a factory)
I am thinking (this is 100& brain storming) about to talk about this with all the members of this gropup. If there are more owners interested maybe we could rent the molds to Amel and manufacture the parts in San Sebastian (Spain), This is just an idea.
Best Regards,

Diego de Miguel
Sailing Liivng Lab
Sharki-52, Acrobat II

Mark Erdos

Alin,

Here’s a site with a couple of ideas: https://www.emarineinc.com/categories/Solar-Kits

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alin SM 283 via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 6:43 PM

Hi guys.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer

Stefan Jeukendrup

Hi Alin,

See enclosed pdf with pictures : 4 Suntech STP190 1580 × 808 × 35mm  72 cell panels above the cockpit, 2 series 2 parallel.
The challenges:
* Max. regulated output is 10A at 24V: not enough when sailing 24/7 but works for anchor with just 1 fridge switched on. 
* these panels are not made for sea conditions: the plastic on the back side is penetrated by sea water causing cell failure
* these panels have no bypass diodes/half cut cells so even a tiny bit of shade on the panels causes 50% power loss or more ( mast, boom, sails, even lines).
* 2 cells of 2 panels in  different  chains burned out, the heat cracked the glass:
  - could be salt on the back of the panel causing short circuit
  - could be just the shading : a single shaded  cell becomes very hot and could deform the backing plastic:  a shaded cell has high resistance and it see a large voltage drop with 144 cells) So 4 panels in parallel= better

Hope this helps you,

Stefan Jeukendup
SM2K  # 348
svMalaka Queen #@ Monastir Tunesia

Paul Osterberg

We have 2x180 watt 72 cells on the rail works great, in addition to that I ordered two custom made 180 w 72 cells flexible panels from Hovall (china) for my bimini (not arrived yet). The advantage with the 72 cells panels you can have them in parallell and shadow will be a much less issue. I'm so pleased with my 180 w panels on the rail so might replace the 3x150 watt 36 cells panel I have on my Emec arc. the 180 w 72 cells are almost identical in size with the old 150W. The one on the rail are attached with NOA solar panels fastening. about 2/3 out from the boat.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259, Lagos Portugal sykerpa.com

Robert Giroux

Hi Alin,

This might be useful: https://youtu.be/wTa6HEo2_K8?t=345

Delos is testing new panels on their top to compare to their arch mounted. They’re mounting flexible panels in “pockets” they’re sewing into the top. They even show the sewing part.

Regards,

Robert Giroux

Future Amel Owner

Miami, FL

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alin SM 283 via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:43 AM

Hi guys.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer

Kelly Ran

Hello,

Can't claim that it's the best, but this setup works very well for us. See attached. 

Stay safe!
Kelly + Ryan
SM233 Iteration
Boston

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020, 07:24 Robert Giroux <rg@...> wrote:

Hi Alin,

This might be useful: https://youtu.be/wTa6HEo2_K8?t=345

Delos is testing new panels on their top to compare to their arch mounted. They’re mounting flexible panels in “pockets” they’re sewing into the top. They even show the sewing part.

Regards,

Robert Giroux

Future Amel Owner

Miami, FL

Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:43 AM

Hi guys.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer

Alin SM 283

Thank you. Where on the deck area do they think to mount them?

On Thursday, 23 April 2020, 05:49:35 pm NZST, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi Alin;

We have also looked for a while for a solution that does not include the Arch. We also intend on switching to Lithium batteries when our current Gel setup needs replacing in 2-3 years. So, we are making all upgrades that become necessary prior to the installation of the lithiums,. Our design concept is one that will be installed in stages but engineered for the final design. For example, our inverter gave out last season, so we are looking at installing the Victron 8000/220A Inverter/charger.

After many years of looking and analyzing, we have almost settled on a hardtop over the cockpit area. Solbian factory has designed the max wattage for the area, design, shading, etc. and has come up with about 900 Watts of deck mounted, flexible and walk on cells.

Our calculations show that after completion of the final concept and installation of the lithium batteries, we should be able to run the entire 24V and 220V systems on board (Not Simultaneously) on batteries and depending on sun conditions, minimal generator usage. We currently do not have solar and we have to run the generator twice per day at anchor.

This is a more costly approach than the Arch, but like you, we like the lines of 54 and wanted a complementary design that did not take away from her sleek lines.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Hi guys.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer

Alin SM 283

Thank you all for your help, ideas, videos and valuable advice. It is great to have the luxury to learn from others without doing mistakes and waste money. Thank you! I am in between rail mounting and bimini top mounting. Aiming for 400-500w hopefully...

On Friday, 24 April 2020, 09:16:53 am NZST, Alin SM 283 via groups.io <sv.wanderer@...> wrote:

On Thursday, 23 April 2020, 05:49:35 pm NZST, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi Alin;

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Hi guys.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer

Paul Stascavage

We recently added 680 watts to our new Bimini top. We are very happy with the installation and the output. 

Photos and details are here

All the Best,

Paul Stascavage 
S/V Rita Kathryn  SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Currently Cruising Bahamas 

Paul,

That looks great. I must have missed the brand of solar panel that you used. I read that each panel is rated at 170 watts or 340 for each pair, so I assume that your total solar is 680. I was wondering why the forward pair are not spread apart in the middle?

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 8:08 AM Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
We recently added 680 watts to our new Bimini top. We are very happy with the installation and the output. 

Photos and details are here

All the Best,

Paul Stascavage 
S/V Rita Kathryn  SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Paul Stascavage

Hello Bill

i hope all is well. 

The brand of panel is SunPower and yes, 680 watts total. 

I located the panels that way to minimize curving and to leave some space for the possible addition of 2 smaller panels at some time in the future.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage 
S/V Rita Kathryn SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Paul, 

One more question. You added clear plastic looking forward to the bimini. What happened in the photo showing the panels on the top?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020, 10:13 AM Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Bill

i hope all is well. 

The brand of panel is SunPower and yes, 680 watts total. 

I located the panels that way to minimize curving and to leave some space for the possible addition of 2 smaller panels at some time in the future.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage 
S/V Rita Kathryn SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Paul Stascavage

Bill,

We had a cover made out of the Bimini material that goes over the clear window panels. This protects them from the elements and prevents the sun from cooking the cockpit occupants when we don’t need the added visibility. 

The clear panels are also removable. We are very happy with how it all came out. 

All the best,

Paul Stascavage 
S/V Rita Kathryn SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Alin SM 283

That looks very nice. Thank you

On Saturday, 25 April 2020, 03:51:34 am NZST, Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003@...> wrote:

Bill,

We had a cover made out of the Bimini material that goes over the clear window panels. This protects them from the elements and prevents the sun from cooking the cockpit occupants when we don’t need the added visibility. 

The clear panels are also removable. We are very happy with how it all came out. 

All the best,

Paul Stascavage 
S/V Rita Kathryn SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

karkauai

Sorry for this late reply, Alin.I opted for an arch where I have 600 W in two pairs of 150 W panels, and two 1#5W panels (soft) on top of the bimini. Each pair has its own controller.
Unfortunately, there's almost always a shadow on one of the bimini pair and they produce almost nothing most days. If you go with bimini mounts, I suggest that you have separate controllers for each panel. I suspect that the same would be true of panels mounted on the cabin top just forward of the windscreen. If you are going to go Lithiumm and try to get by without running the generator most days, you will need more than 600W of solar power.
Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Apr 23, 2020 5:41 PM, "Alin SM 283 via groups.io" <sv.wanderer@...> wrote:
Thank you all for your help, ideas, videos and valuable advice. It is great to have the luxury to learn from others without doing mistakes and waste money. Thank you! I am in between rail mounting and bimini top mounting. Aiming for 400-500w hopefully...

On Friday, 24 April 2020, 09:16:53 am NZST, Alin SM 283 via groups.io <sv.wanderer@...> wrote:

Hi Alin;

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Hi guys.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer