Topics

Best location for solar panels

Alin SM 283

Hi guys.
I know this subject must have been discussed before, I do not mind if you point me out to the right direction.
Anyway, I am seriously thinking solar panels for my Super Maramu.
The goal is to be able to at least run the fridges and sails and to minimize the use of the generator but I do not want to have an arch and do not one have Wanderer looking like a Xmas tree. I guess a little guidance to a minimum of power I should consider would be great
I really love the shape of my boat and the uncluttered and uncrowded lines.
My ideal of solar panels location would be on top of dog house or/and on the deck just in front of the windscreen.
The question is, how much watts can I fit onto that area and how bad would be the shading from the boom. If someone has the time to send me some pictures of their setup, I would be most grateful.
Thank you.
Alin SV Wanderer

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Alin,

the best spot for two panels is on the port rail aft of the cockpit. I put mine there temporarily 11 years ago deciding to move them later if I didn't like the spot. Been fantastic Clamped to the rail 1/3 in 2/3 out. They don't need a brace and swing up easily when docking or any other time you want them out of the way. Works well for me. Come to Mangonui for a look when this lock down eases. This place means you don't loose deck space nor the ability to have a wide open top. Also cheap as chips to do, no good if you like to spend money.

Cheers

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 23 April 2020 at 16:42 "Alin SM 283 via groups.io" <sv.wanderer@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Danny.
Thank you, I'd love to have a look.
Cheers
Alin

On Thursday, 23 April 2020, 05:10:32 pm NZST, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Alin;

We have also looked for a while for a solution that does not include the Arch. We also intend on switching to Lithium batteries when our current Gel setup needs replacing in 2-3 years. So, we are making all upgrades that become necessary prior to the installation of the lithiums,. Our design concept is one that will be installed in stages but engineered for the final design. For example, our inverter gave out last season, so we are looking at installing the Victron 8000/220A Inverter/charger.

After many years of looking and analyzing, we have almost settled on a hardtop over the cockpit area. Solbian factory has designed the max wattage for the area, design, shading, etc. and has come up with about 900 Watts of deck mounted, flexible and walk on cells.

Our calculations show that after completion of the final concept and installation of the lithium batteries, we should be able to run the entire 24V and 220V systems on board (Not Simultaneously) on batteries and depending on sun conditions, minimal generator usage. We currently do not have solar and we have to run the generator twice per day at anchor.

This is a more costly approach than the Arch, but like you, we like the lines of 54 and wanted a complementary design that did not take away from her sleek lines.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099