Topics

Top loading galley fridge/freezer used as a fridge: No?

Arno Luijten

Thanks Oliver,

Two other things if I may:
Can I recommend you add the expression "Amel 54" in the description of your videos? In all my YouTube searches I did (quite a few during this stupid lockdown!) I never saw any of your videos popping up. Only when searching specifically for Vela Nautica they pop up.
You website seems to have some trouble "www.velanautica.org" throws the error message "There has been a critical error on your website." on every page.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121
Saint Martin FWI

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

You get these magnetic freezer seals custom made to your required size by any refrigeration supplier.
On the counter part of the gascet you will need 20x1mm magnetic!! Stainless stripes. I sanded them from the back side and fixed them with contact Clement.

In one of these posts I uploaded a picture and how to fix them.

Yes, we got only a fridge and the top load freezer.

No seate cooler.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39
Martinique

On Thu, May 7, 2020, 08:19 Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi Oliver,

I was amazed with your gutsy move to re-insulate the fridge-freezer in the galley. Impressive. For later Amel 54s this is much more complicated as these only have a half-lid on top of the fridge/freezer. I do like the replacement of the seal you did as I suffer the same problem with the poor closure of the seal. As we use this cabinet only as fridge the problem is not so bad as it was for you, but it is still annoying. Where did you get those seals from?

Quick question; am I correct in assuming you have no freezer below the settee in the main cabin? In your video you only talk about two cooling installations.

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121

Teun BAAS

Scott,

Thanks – got it & subscribed.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

May 7, 2020 09:57:43

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

It's on Youtube - Vela Nautica. One of their first videos.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Arno Luijten

[...]

You will find the video on our YouTube channel, look for SV Vela Nautica.

The water in the old isolation you saw around the pvc pipe was, what was left after 9 month of drying. So the water that once entered the old isolation more or less stays in there.

After remouving the old isolation:

1.
I build an outer layer with floorjet, kind of bitumen/aluminium sandwith foil compleatly humidity proof. This protects the insulation against kondensating humidity from outside. All seams are sealed with butyl tape, that stays flexible and tacky also in very low temperatures.

2. We placed the new insulation in this pocket.

3. Last we placed the stainless basin back and sealed it to the outer floorjet hull with butyl tape.

4. The insulation around the hole for the cooling tubes is also sealed with fat butyl tape. And because this point is a weakness and kondensation tends to build up around the cooling tubes, I placed 10cm polyurethane foam under the freezer and blew expanding foam along the tubings. Dont cut this foam. The surface is waterpoof as long as its not cut.

5. Its worth to place a waterproof DS18b20 temperatur sensor along with the tubes, so you can install a more modern temperature controll later.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54 #39
Martinique

On Tue, May 5, 2020, 15:21 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Oliver,

I can NOT find the video Scott mentions in below Email. Can you send it again or direct me where I can find it.

Thanks.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

May 5, 2020 12:21:17

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909