Topics

Top loading galley fridge/freezer used as a fridge: No?

Arno Luijten

Thanks Oliver,

Two other things if I may:
Can I recommend you add the expression "Amel 54" in the description of your videos? In all my YouTube searches I did (quite a few during this stupid lockdown!) I never saw any of your videos popping up. Only when searching specifically for Vela Nautica they pop up.
You website seems to have some trouble "www.velanautica.org" throws the error message "There has been a critical error on your website." on every page.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121
Saint Martin FWI

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

You get these magnetic freezer seals custom made to your required size by any refrigeration supplier.
On the counter part of the gascet you will need 20x1mm magnetic!! Stainless stripes. I sanded them from the back side and fixed them with contact Clement. 

In one of these posts I uploaded a picture and how to fix them. 

Yes, we got only a fridge and the top load freezer. 

No seate cooler. 

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39 
Martinique 

On Thu, May 7, 2020, 08:19 Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi Oliver,

I was amazed with your gutsy move to re-insulate the fridge-freezer in the galley. Impressive. For later Amel 54s this is much more complicated as these only have a half-lid on top of the fridge/freezer. I do like the replacement of the seal you did as I suffer the same problem with the poor closure of the seal. As we use this cabinet only as fridge the problem is not so bad as it was for you, but it is still annoying. Where did you get those seals from?

Quick question; am I correct in assuming you have no freezer below the settee in the main cabin? In your video you only talk about two cooling installations.

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121

Teun BAAS

Scott,

Thanks – got it & subscribed.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

May 7, 2020 09:57:43

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott SV Tengah via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 13:33
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Top loading galley fridge/freezer used as a fridge: No?

It's on Youtube - Vela Nautica. One of their first videos.
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Arno Luijten

Hi Oliver,

I was amazed with your gutsy move to re-insulate the fridge-freezer in the galley. Impressive. For later Amel 54s this is much more complicated as these only have a half-lid on top of the fridge/freezer. I do like the replacement of the seal you did as I suffer the same problem with the poor closure of the seal. As we use this cabinet only as fridge the problem is not so bad as it was for you, but it is still annoying. Where did you get those seals from?

Quick question; am I correct in assuming you have no freezer below the settee in the main cabin? In your video you only talk about two cooling installations.

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121

Hello,

You will find the video on our YouTube channel, look for SV Vela Nautica. 

The water in the old isolation you saw around the pvc pipe was, what was left after 9 month of drying. So the water that once entered the old isolation more or less stays in there. 

After remouving the old isolation:

I build an outer layer with floorjet, kind of bitumen/aluminium sandwith foil compleatly humidity proof. This protects the insulation against kondensating humidity from outside. All seams are sealed with butyl tape, that stays flexible and tacky also in very low temperatures.

2. We placed the new insulation in this pocket. 

3. Last we placed the stainless basin back and sealed it to the outer floorjet hull with butyl tape. 

4. The insulation around the hole for the cooling tubes is also sealed with fat butyl tape. And because this point is a weakness and kondensation tends to build up around the cooling tubes, I placed 10cm polyurethane foam under the freezer and blew expanding foam along the tubings. Dont cut this foam. The surface is waterpoof as long as its not cut. 

5. Its worth to place a waterproof DS18b20 temperatur sensor along with the tubes, so you can install a more modern temperature controll later. 

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54 #39 
Martinique 

On Tue, May 5, 2020, 15:21 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Oliver,

I can NOT find the video Scott mentions in below Email. Can you send it again or direct me where I can find it.

Thanks.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

May 5, 2020 12:21:17

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott SV Tengah via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 01:42
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Top loading galley fridge/freezer used as a fridge: No?

Oliver,

Just watched your video - that insulation replacement seems like a big job! But the results seem to make it worth it?

One question for you about the big hole on the bottom for the compressor lines: did you fill that big hole in with something? Otherwise it would seem that all of the cold air would flow out of it.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Scott SV Tengah

It's on Youtube - Vela Nautica. One of their first videos.
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Teun BAAS

Oliver,

I can NOT find the video Scott mentions in below Email. Can you send it again or direct me where I can find it.

Thanks.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

May 5, 2020 12:21:17

Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 01:42

Oliver,

Just watched your video - that insulation replacement seems like a big job! But the results seem to make it worth it?

One question for you about the big hole on the bottom for the compressor lines: did you fill that big hole in with something? Otherwise it would seem that all of the cold air would flow out of it.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Scott SV Tengah

We've been drying the fridge out for a week now and a few drops of water STILL come out. It bubbles out at the interface of the PVC pipe where the condenser copper lines go down to the compressor and the stainless. I think that there is a bad seal between that PVC pipe and the stainless box.

Oliver's video showed very wet insulation there so I don't think my problem is isolated. 

Further, I was getting water buildup in the bilge under the sink. Since turning off this galley top loading fridge, I no longer get water buildup. I surmise I may need to replace my insulation and reseal the connection between the PVC pipe and the stainless box. Perhaps even replace the PVC with a stainless tube that is welded in?

Oliver - did you do anything to improve the seal between the PVC and the stainless box?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Hello,

We used this kind of gasket for top lid. It has an integrated magnet and pulls the gasket closed to magnetic surfaces

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54 #39 
Martinique 

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020, 12:28 Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:

Freezer Seals for Amel 54 – I purchased from Zoro.com  EPDM Seal, D-Section, 0.75 In W, 25 Ft  by TRIM LOK INC; Zoro #: G3897214| Mfr #: X1458BT.  The 25' roll did both the chest and the bench.  They seem to run less now but still living with the poor insulation.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Mark & Debbie Mueller

Freezer Seals for Amel 54 – I purchased from Zoro.com  EPDM Seal, D-Section, 0.75 In W, 25 Ft  by TRIM LOK INC; Zoro #: G3897214| Mfr #: X1458BT.  The 25' roll did both the chest and the bench.  They seem to run less now but still living with the poor insulation.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Hello,

1. Magnetic stainless 20mmx1mmx required length. Custom cut at ebay. Germany. Backside sanded and glued with contact cement. 

2. Magnetic freezer gasket. Professional fridge repair online custom made to our size. Attention the stainless basin might not be right under the lid. Check that. 
At the foto I show how we fixed it by screws. 

3. The hole for the cooling tubes was filled with sprey foam, and because that is a weak point, I placed 10cm extruder foam under the freezer and fixed all with spray foam. 

4. Yes, it was a lot exhausting work. We are happy with it now. We are in tropic Martinique, we drive the freezer with -19Celsius and the compressor has about 70% work time. Actually I cant say exactly because the original fridge is the weak point now, its insulation is not that efficient as the freezer. 

I need to improve my software to log the operating time in a bettet way. 

Martinique 

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020, 04:41 Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Oliver,

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Scott SV Tengah

Oliver,

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Scott SV Tengah

Jamie,

We'll just add Hawaii, Continental US and Mexico to the world tour :) If the world is normal again by then, we will go from Mexico to Marquesas March 2021. 

Thanks - our strut isn't too strong but you give me hope in that perhaps our seal is just bad and the water accumulation problem will be resolved with a better seal.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Scott SV Tengah

Oliver,

Thanks, I will watch the video.

Where did you buy the magnetic stainless and also the custom sized screw fixed freezer seal?

If you're on the boat, could you attach some photos? Thanks!

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Jamie Wendell

Scott, congratulations on your crossing to Hawaii. Sorry you had to cancel the world tour - maybe another chance next year?

I converted to Coastal digital controls and use the top-loader as a very cold refrigerator. I keep it just about -1 degree C all the time to keep drinks and vegetables mostly.
I get very little water inside over time, but I do get some ice buildup on the evaporator plates given my colder settings. Every few weeks I shut down and defrost and find mostly vegetable remains in the bottom.

It never smells, but as I read in a response to another email about the hydraulic strut for the lid, I had to replace the strut (through Amel in La Rochelle). It is too powerful, and I have the larger lid. I intend to replace again with the one recommended in the posting.

Safe travels or is Hawaii your POC for now?

Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

Hello,

I was so annoyed by the fridge freezer that I took it into parts and replaced the humid insulation. You can see me doing this job in my video on our youtube. 
But its a hell of a job. 
In our case the stainless was watertight, build #39. Where its not watertight and water gets under it is at the hole for the cooling pipes.

What I would suggest as a minimal efford with huge effect is to replace the seal. 
We remouved the old seal. 
I got stripes of magnetic stainless and glued it on the topegdge of the stainless bassin where the old seal was.
We ordered a custum sized, screw fixed freezer seal. (cheap its about 40 euros)
This seal is fixed with screws (dipped in sikaflex) to the top lid. 

When the seal is fixed on the top, like on any comercial product, it does not move. 
Additional the comercial standard magnetic seal produces and airtight seal. 
The only moment when humidity enters is when we open the lid. 

Hope that helps. 

Martinique 

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020, 16:02 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Except for the seal movement (need to check when I am back on the boat) my experience is the same as Arno. I also have the raised “grill” type platform on the bottom & agree with his analysis on the cause of the water accumulation.

I have the small opening.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

April 27, 2020 13:02:23

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten via groups.io
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 12:50

Hi Scott,

We use our galley-top-fridge/freezer as fridge 100% of the time. It does accumulate water on the bottom, because of this ours has a raised bottom with holes in it to keep stuff dry. Every time you open the box, humid air will get into it and eventually end up as condensation at the bottom. We have some problems with the seals, specifically the one in the back because the lid tries to push it away (to the back) when you close it. At some point the seal will detach from the fridge-box. I replaced the double-sided sticky-tape to re-attach it and I'm now using some Vaseline on the seal so the lid can slide over the seal more easy when it's closing.
Apart from this every few weeks I remove the collected water from the bottom. As far as I can detect the box itself is waterproof so water does not leak into the insulation. I have no annoying smells from the fridge.

Regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Teun BAAS

Except for the seal movement (need to check when I am back on the boat) my experience is the same as Arno. I also have the raised “grill” type platform on the bottom & agree with his analysis on the cause of the water accumulation.

I have the small opening.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

April 27, 2020 13:02:23

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten via groups.io
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 12:50

Hi Scott,

We use our galley-top-fridge/freezer as fridge 100% of the time. It does accumulate water on the bottom, because of this ours has a raised bottom with holes in it to keep stuff dry. Every time you open the box, humid air will get into it and eventually end up as condensation at the bottom. We have some problems with the seals, specifically the one in the back because the lid tries to push it away (to the back) when you close it. At some point the seal will detach from the fridge-box. I replaced the double-sided sticky-tape to re-attach it and I'm now using some Vaseline on the seal so the lid can slide over the seal more easy when it's closing.
Apart from this every few weeks I remove the collected water from the bottom. As far as I can detect the box itself is waterproof so water does not leak into the insulation. I have no annoying smells from the fridge.

Regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

Hi Scott,

Regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Scott SV Tengah

Hi all,

Hope you're all doing well and staying healthy. Our A54 has a swing-door fridge (we replaced the original with a larger MS160 model with hidden evaporator plate), the galley top loading fridge/freezer and then the settee fridge/freezer.  My question is related to the galley top loading fridge/freezer.

Our normal M.O. is that we use all 3 of them. The 160l stainless one is used as a fridge, the settee unit is used as a freezer and the galley top loader we use as a "fruit and vegetable" fridge set on 3 of 9. The problem we're having is that the galley top loader accumulates a decent amount of water in the bottom as it doesn't have a drain and eventually smells REALLY bad. We've used the shop vac to dry it out, cleaned it in bleach, etc. but it appears the box is NOT waterproof in the sense that after flushing it out with bleach water, over the course of the next few hours, water appears to migrate INTO the stainless insides of the box. I presume that must mean the initial flush water flowed out through the corner seams (into the insulation!?!) and then is flowing back in through the corner seams. 

Does anyone else use it as a fridge?  We've tried to adjust the lid to seal it tighter, but the seal area still gets wet and water accumulation still occurs inside the box itself. Is it simply not designed to be used as a fridge?

As an aside: We just arrived in Hawaii from Panama (4848 nautical miles, 31 days!) after first abandoning our Galapagos plans and then abandoning our French Polynesia plans as country after country closed their borders. Our A54 performed admirably and despite very light winds for the first two weeks (much use of the code 0 and the Parasailor), we arrived with 600 liters of diesel! Our little tweaks to energy usage dropped our generator usage down a lot compared to our Atlantic crossing. We ran it 45 minutes every 2-3 days despite running 2 fridges and a freezer and the water maker. Nothing broke and we had a week where we covered between 170-195 miles per day. It was passages like this that make me love our Amel even more!

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah