Topics

Furuno GPS Navigator GP-90

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

As I get the startup error message

Internal Battery = NG

And experiance frequent (very short for a second) error messages with anoying beep.

I like to change the battery.

Does anybody know:

1. What Type of Battery?

2. Location of Battery?

Any help apreciated.

Thanks

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54 #39
Martinique

Justin Paulsen

Hello,

On page 9-2 it has this about the battery:

image.png

It looks like it is not meant to be user replaceable however it may be possible.

CR2450-F2ST2L is a CR2450 button cell battery, 3v Lithium.  It will be easy to get the battery but replacement could be a pain if it was soldiered in.

I hope this helps!

- Justin

Hopeful future owner of an AMEL SM or SM2k

--
Justin Paulsen
IT Professional

"The world is open, are you?"

Oliver, if the GP90 is the same as the GP80 (I believe it is) the battery is soldered in place. Yes, I know! And I was only able to find one through a Furuno dealer about 3 years ago. This may have changed.

I have forgotten exactly where the battery is located, but it is obvious when you open the GPS. I do not remember if there were any markings on the battery.

Hopefully, someone else can add to this.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 11:09 AM Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:
Hello,

As I get the startup error message

Internal Battery = NG

And experiance frequent (very short for a second) error messages with anoying beep.

I like to change the battery.

Does anybody know:

1. What Type of Battery?

2. Location of Battery?

Any help apreciated.

Thanks

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54 #39
Martinique

Alan Leslie

The battery is soldered in
It is a pain
But it IS doable
I've done it
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Thanks to all,

I will try to poste some fotos when I replace the battery.

Does anybody know if there is a second battery in the GPS antenna?

Some antennas got integrated buffer batteries to gain faster reconnection.

Did Furuno use this kind of buffered antennas?

On Wed, May 6, 2020, 17:25 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Oliver,
No battery in the antenna, it is a passive device.
BTW the GP-90 will run with a dead battery. The battery is only there to remember waypoints and the startup location.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437