Topics

European SM 240V looking to plug in 240V US Marina

Arno Luijten

Bill,
The Victron isolation transformers are classic transformers, basically a lot of iron and copper. The model "3600 Watt Auto 115/230 V" is capable of converting 115 Volt into 230 V. That is one way to solve the US-EUR problem (apart from the 50/60 Hz) with the added advantage you can use both voltages more or less transparent at the input side.
However to get 16 Amps at the output you will need 32 Amps at the input. If you use the "double 115V" system to produce 230 you would be able to supply 230V32A at the output but that would require a different model transformer that cannot do auto-switching. In the latter case you would always require a 230-240 volt outlet in a USA marina. I'm not sure how wide-spread that is in the States.

On thing about classic transformers, these things tend to produce an annoying 50/60Hz humming noise that makes you need to be careful where to put it.

Myself I've installed the Mastervolt GI7 Isolation transformer. This makes virtually no noise as it uses high frequency transforming. The weight is much less as well.  They did miss a huge point designing the thing though. As they are using high frequency technology to galvanic separate the power, 95% of the parts were already included to change the the frequency as well, meaning you could have converted to 50Hz even when on a 60Hz outlet. Big omission as far as I'm concerned.

The other problem all of these isolation transformers have is they tend to increase the voltage a little bit to compensate for high loads (like the 1:1.05 ratio mentioned above). Again a bad idea. Here in St. Maarten the pontoon voltage is high already (sometimes up to 245 Volt) and behind the transformer I can see 255 Volt occasionally, 25 volts more then I would like to see. For the Mastervolt GI series even more dumb as they could have made the system adaptive because of the high frequency conversion. Trying to explain the Marina they need to look into their shorepower is a huge challenge with little chance on success.
The reason I installed the isolation transformer is because the crappy shorepower was affecting the cast-iron keel despite a perfectly working earth-bonding system in the boat. This is now resolved.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Theo,

I think the information may be misleading.

I talked to Victron about this isolation transformer. They said that "AC input voltage is raised/lowered by 1:1.05 ratio at the AC output."

This is not what Dominique was asking for.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 11:22 AM Theo s/v Paloma <sailingpaloma1@...> wrote:
You might want to look into the Victron Isolation Transformer. It provides galvanic isolation, and can up or down convert voltage. It does not change the frequency.

https://www.victronenergy.com/isolation-transformers

Theo
s/v Paloma
Amel 50 #18

Theo s/v Paloma

You might want to look into the Victron Isolation Transformer. It provides galvanic isolation, and can up or down convert voltage. It does not change the frequency.

https://www.victronenergy.com/isolation-transformers

Theo
s/v Paloma
Amel 50 #18

Ryan Meador

On our boat, we did mostly as Eric says, but connected blue to red and brown to black.  Since both of these wires are hot (120V with respect to ground, 240V with respect to each other), I don't think it matters which way you connect these two while on USA power.  If the boat or appliances aren't able to handle it, it will be dangerous either way.  Luckily, a stock Amel can handle it.

Being a USA-based boat, we have the USA 50A male connector on the end of our power cord.  When we were cruising in areas with European power, I built an adapter with a USA 50A female on one end and a European 32A male on the other (you have to plan ahead for this; I don't think any store on earth sells both connectors, not even in St Martin).  That way I can just plug it in and not have to rewire the connector every time we go to a different island.  You may want to consider something similar, except reversing the genders to preserve your European plug on the shore power cord.

We also had our shore power cord upgraded to handle 32A while we were in Le Marin.  The stock power cord is rated for 16A, I believe, despite the main breaker being rated for 32A (you can get the full 32A from the generator, but not from shore).  When you're adding the breaker in the aft locker (highly recommended), you want to size it for the rating of your cord, not the main breaker.  Even better would be adding the breaker inline in the adapter so it protects the entire length of the cord, but that seems harder to implement.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 9:01 PM Craig & Katherine Briggs SN 68 Sangaris Tropic Isle Harbor, FL via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
and, of course, do note that you will be getting US 60 Hz, not European 50 Hz.

and, of course, do note that you will be getting US 60 Hz, not European 50 Hz.

eric freedman

I forgot to mention that you should mount a circuit breaker . I believe it is 30 or 35 amps where the cord enters the boat in the stern locker. It should be the same amperage as the breaker on the side of the 220 volt panel. (I’m not on the boat)

The only problem with just plugging into a 50 amp outlet is that you need more than 50 amps to shut off the power.

If there is a short somewhere in the shore power it might make a fire.

The galvanic isolator can then be mounted in the Amel’s green /yellow wire.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376