Topics

no bilgepump in saloon Am54

Jeroen jeltes

Ref Fidelis Am54 bno.118 .

i am surprised there is no safety bilgepump for the saloon , forward- and aft section .  only one bilge pump to drain the grey waterhole in the engineroom.

We already experienced a small accident wilst filling the freshwater tank ; the tank overflow comes from the dipstick hole wich results in  200L+ water in your bilgelockers !

Now i have installed an emergency 24V pump with 3m hose in the bilgelocker underneath the stairs.

comments welcome.
Jeroen  Jeltes.

Jeroen,

Respectfully, you do not understand the basics of Amel watertight bulkheads. The next time that you are in port or at anchor near another Amel, introduce yourself to the owner and ask him to explain this to you.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sat, May 23, 2020, 3:47 PM Jeroen jeltes <j.jeltes@...> wrote:

Ref Fidelis Am54 bno.118 .

i am surprised there is no safety bilgepump for the saloon , forward- and aft section .  only one bilge pump to drain the grey waterhole in the engineroom.

We already experienced a small accident wilst filling the freshwater tank ; the tank overflow comes from the dipstick hole wich results in  200L+ water in your bilgelockers !

Now i have installed an emergency 24V pump with 3m hose in the bilgelocker underneath the stairs.

comments welcome.
Jeroen  Jeltes.

Mark Erdos

Edited

It is a shame you have altered the integrity of your vessel by holing the bulkheads. A better approach would have been to install water alarms in the compartments. These are available for about US$12.00

Glentronics, Inc. BWD-HWA 00895001498 Basement Watchdog High Water Alarm, Pack of 1, Multi

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

i am surprised there is no safety bilgepump for the saloon , forward- and aft section .  only one bilge pump to drain the grey waterhole in the engineroom.

We already experienced a small accident wilst filling the freshwater tank ; the tank overflow comes from the dipstick hole wich results in  200L+ water in your bilgelockers !

Now i have installed an emergency 24V pump with 3m hose in the bilgelocker underneath the stairs.

comments welcome.
Jeroen  Jeltes.

Arno Luijten

Hi Jeroen,

Most owners have flooded the forward bilges when refilling the watertank. It’s a bit of a design flaw as there is actually an overflow to the cavity of the companion way hatch and from there into the grey water bilge. Even if not clogged it cannot handle the volume of water coming from a garden hose.
I managed to do it twice already...
A pump may help but as others say you need to think about the watertight compartments. You could use the A/C drain of the saloon A/C as evacuation hose. The water would then end up in the grey water bilge.

Personally I’m thinking to put an alarm on the dipstick to signal overfilling. That would prevent the overflow in the first place.

Regards,

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

On the  topic of Bilge Pumps, what I find a bigger worry is the main bilge-pump can fail because of bad working valves. These are small rubber flaps inside the pump that start their career flat but over time become concave of shape. This can lead to (mainly the output valve) bad closing of this valve resulting in poor or no pumping action. You can replace the valves pretty easy and Amel sells the replacements.

This bilge-pump has a rough life as it needs to pump out quite some litres per day. Making sure you do not flush any solids in the sinks helps of course but I find the absence of a fall-back pump very annoying. There is a sensor that will send out an alarm if the bilge is over-flowing but it's position is not great to say the least. The water level will be quite high before that thing sends off an alarm. When the alarm sounds you will need to operate the manual bilge-pump as soon as you can and you will need to pump quite a lot of water overboard before the level is back to acceptable levels.

Because of this I recently installed a secondary electric bilge pump with it's own solid state sensor next to the bilge-pit. The sensor sits at the top of the bilge-pit, so it will start the secondary pump before the pit overflows. It also has an alarm connected to the circuit to notify us about the problem.

At least if now the primary pump fails I'm not forced to use the manual pump unless there is a huge ingress of water for whatever reason.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Jeroen,

It's not clear to me... where did you run the discharge hose for the new pump?

These bilge compartments should always be dry so a high water alarm is usually sufficient for those rare times you have any liquid in there. Key words are "should" and "usually", but in my experience the only liquids have come from leaking provisions.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

Jeroen jeltes

sorry, i never said i made holes in the bulkheads .

Jeroen jeltes

Edited

dear Bill,   i do understand how the bulkhead system works, with the waterticht compartments,  yet it is not clear to me how to remove water from these compartments, without the aid of a pump.
kind regards,  jeroen ( i do realize the drain function from the showers , you need a lot of water before these start .)

Jeroen,

If water gets into areas where it should not be, removing the water is the same as any other separate compartment. You need to pump it out. Generally any water in these compartments is minor. I used a "wet vacuum," which was needed for many other projects on my Amel. For instance, anytime I opened any freshwater or saltwater system, I did so with the vacuum hose in hand. This included installing an impeller or rebuilding a pump. My goal was to never allow a single drop of saltwater to escape and fall on anything in the engine room. The absence of rust will repay you 100 times the cost of these precautions when you sell your Amel.
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 3:13 PM Jeroen jeltes <j.jeltes@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

dear Bill,   i do understand how the bulkhead system works, with the waterticht compartments,  yet it is not clear to me how to remove water from these compartments, without the aid of a pump.
kind regards,  jeroen ( i do realize the drain function from the showers , you need a lot of water before these start .)

Jeroen jeltes

Thank you Bill.  thank you for good advice . particularly spilling saltwater in the engineroom is never easy to remove/collect and this is where it hurts most.

ref water in bilge lockers; i feel more comfortable with the movable 150L/min pump .

best regards,  Jeroen

Teun BAAS

Mark,

How loud is this alarm?

Will you hear clearly when in any of the forward or aft cabins and or saloon?

I have a 3rd party alarm but I can NOT say it is blood curling loud.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

On the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

May 25, 2020 14:48:38

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

i am surprised there is no safety bilgepump for the saloon , forward- and aft section .  only one bilge pump to drain the grey waterhole in the engineroom.

We already experienced a small accident wilst filling the freshwater tank ; the tank overflow comes from the dipstick hole wich results in  200L+ water in your bilgelockers !

Now i have installed an emergency 24V pump with 3m hose in the bilgelocker underneath the stairs.

comments welcome.
Jeroen  Jeltes.

Mark Erdos

It is loud. I can clearly hear the alarm outside of the boat with the hatch closed.  Also, if you want it louder, the water sensor is on about 2 feet of wire. So, you can put the sensor in the area you wish to detect water under the floor and the alarm can be mounted higher up and not obscured or muffled by the floor.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

i am surprised there is no safety bilgepump for the saloon , forward- and aft section .  only one bilge pump to drain the grey waterhole in the engineroom.

We already experienced a small accident wilst filling the freshwater tank ; the tank overflow comes from the dipstick hole wich results in  200L+ water in your bilgelockers !

Now i have installed an emergency 24V pump with 3m hose in the bilgelocker underneath the stairs.

comments welcome.
Jeroen  Jeltes.

Brian Mitchell

Dear Mark
I have this style of alarm and it works well so long as the battery is good and all connections in the battey compartment are also good.
The pump that pumps out the grey water in the engine room could help with the flooding as i too flooded my freshwater, I now sit focused, like when refueling, watching the water fill. What I have done is put a “y”  toilet diversion valve inline. I have the original suction going up through as original but I have fitted some cam lock fittings and about 12 meters of hose so I can now reach most disasters by switching over the “y” valve  and pump out the remote areas.
The other thing I installed was a “t - fitting“, valve and strainer on the main engine raw water cooling line with another pick up into the bilge incase the grey water pump failed or I can use the motor as an emergency pump if needed in an emergency.
Cheers
Brian & Sue

Sue Mitchell
S Y Lola
+61 481 719770

On May 27, 2020, at 02:43, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

Hi Brian & Sue,
I'm interested in both of your modifications. I guess most if us have overfilled our fresh water tank at least once.  At least the bilge gets cleaned ;-)>
The only way I have of pumping water from the saloon or cabins is a sump pump that requires my 24vDC > 119v AC inverter to be functional, or a small 24v DC pump that I have used for water that collected by the forward head when the bow thruster seal failed.
I have just the primary bilge pump and manual Whale pump in the engine room.

I heard a talk by a couple who got knocked down (not Amel) in the Indian Ocean by a rogue wave during an otherwise manageable storm.  They had a boat full of sea water and their cabins were strewn with debris from every locker and drawer in the boat. Paper from their paperback books turned to mush and clogged their bilge pump. They ended up using a bucket. Eventually they called for help and abandoned ship because they had no fresh water, no electricity, no way to heat food, no engine, and no standing rig.

This story prompted me to install the battery box bolts that have never been there since I bought Kristy;  I will install latches on the cabin sole lockers;  I am looking at options for additional pumping capacity.

Do you have pictures of your modifications? I guess there is a fitting through the forward engine room bulkhead?

How much water will your engine pump? What do you do about debris? I guess the intake in the sump only allows pumping out water that gets into the grey water system. That wouldn't help much if there was water in the cabins or saloon.

Has anyone added an engine-driven pump that would not require an intact electrical system?

Any other thoughts?
Kent&Iris
Kristy
SM243
St Michaels, MD

On May 27, 2020 2:08 AM, Brian Mitchell <sue@...> wrote:
[...]

Hello Kent & Iris,

We have photos of our set up for pumping the bilges. We did not compromise any of our watertight bulkheads. It’s a bit hard to describe in words, so photos work much better.

Do you have a direct e-mail address we can send the photos and description of work to you. Happy to put it all up on the Owners site too if anyone else is interested?

Kind regards,

Brian and Sue

S Y Lola

It is a shame you have altered the integrity of your vessel by holing the bulkheads. A better approach would have been to install water alarms in the compartments. These are available for about US$12.00

Image removed by sender. Glentronics, Inc. BWD-HWA 00895001498 Basement Watchdog High Water Alarm, Pack of 1, Multi

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

i am surprised there is no safety bilgepump for the saloon , forward- and aft section .  only one bilge pump to drain the grey waterhole in the engineroom.

We already experienced a small accident wilst filling the freshwater tank ; the tank overflow comes from the dipstick hole wich results in  200L+ water in your bilgelockers !

Now i have installed an emergency 24V pump with 3m hose in the bilgelocker underneath the stairs.

comments welcome.
Jeroen  Jeltes.

eric freedman

Hi