Topics

lowering mainsail

william reynolds

I've looked at all the old topics concerning dropping the furling mainsail and found a lot of  'what was Amel thinking'? on the length of the main halyard.  I've sailed many, many boats in my life but have never seen a furling main that could not be lowered with the installed halyard. One of the times you would w ant to lower it would be because of a mainsail failure/jam and it's probably going to be in adverse conditions. Trying to find a line, bend it on and then attempt to lower the main these   conditions  is not a safe prudent solution. Why did they do this? What was the reasoning and rational? Any reasonable answers?
Bill Reynolds - CloudStreet

Since the main and mizzen are in-mast furling sails and rarely dropped, having short halyards for the main and mizzen reduces line clutter on the deck. It is actually simple to use a messenger for both.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sat, May 23, 2020, 5:33 PM william reynolds <sail23692@...> wrote:
I've looked at all the old topics concerning dropping the furling mainsail and found a lot of  'what was Amel thinking'? on the length of the main halyard.  I've sailed many, many boats in my life but have never seen a furling main that could not be lowered with the installed halyard. One of the times you would w ant to lower it would be because of a mainsail failure/jam and it's probably going to be in adverse conditions. Trying to find a line, bend it on and then attempt to lower the main these   conditions  is not a safe prudent solution. Why did they do this? What was the reasoning and rational? Any reasonable answers?
Bill Reynolds - CloudStreet

Arno Luijten

Hi William,

This is not unique for Amel. Oyster, Hallberg Rassy and other do the same for the bigger yachts. If you have 18 meters or more of mast the halyards become very, very long. As you rarely lover the sail anyway the tail of this halyard will be dangling at the base of the mast for almost eternity. This is not very practical. So what you do is you use a half-halyard with a Flemish-eye at the tail side. This eye is used to tie as mouseline to  (I'm using 6mm dyneema) if you need to lower the mainsail or genua.
This mouse-line sits normally in one of the cockpit lockers and is not used for other purposes.
On the Amet 54 you have a special track slider to tension the main halyard once it's up. I think the A55 has a secondary slide for the Genua as well.

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Alan Leslie

Hi  Bill,

"Trying to find a line, bend it on and then .."

We have dedicated messenger lines for both main and mizzen halyards in the port side aft cockpit locker ready to go. A size smaller than the actual halyards means the bowline you tie through the loop on the halyard end goes through the mast slot with no real problem.

The Amel system certainly serves to reduce the amount of line there is swinging around the masts when sailing.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437 - stuck in New Zealand, and me stuck in Australia!