Topics

Prepping Onan for short-medium term non-use?

Thomas Kleman

A nice problem to have.....your lithium install working so well that the genset is a back up system. Agree with Mohammed on the genset during passages; there is obviously a good reason Amel recommends running it daily at sea. We do this even when we don't necessarily need the power.

In the rare occasions we've been long term in a marina, we don't go more than 3 weeks without running the genset based on a boat show conversation I had with a tech on this question. There are probably many opinions on this but following his advice has worked for us.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
Oahu

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Scott;

It is nice to hear you have had such success with the conversion to Lithium. We will be doing the same in the next battery change.

I would consider running the generator periodically under 80% load (I would say once a week) for about an hour. Although winterizing is helpful in extending the life of a diesel engine and all related mechanical components, while in storage, lack of operation can be very detrimental to the longevity. Running the engine helps to lubricate the internal components and prevent rust and corrosion.

Also, when on any type of passage, Amel recommends running the generator and the engine at least once a day, to prevent sea water from working its way back into the cylinders through the exhaust.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099