Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 4:46 PM Marco Mancini <marcomancini61@...> wrote:
Bill it is nice to have your comment .
I have to check for this .
What do you mean ? I think I don’t have sufficient knoweldge about your question.  May please provide me additiional info ?
as you may image we carry 2 alternators one for the 12 volt engine / onan battery charger ant another one at 24 volt for the other batteries.
cheers

Il giorno 05 lug 2020, alle ore 21:30, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> ha scritto:

Did your mechanic Isolate the 12-volt negative?
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 1:10 PM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Marco,
Are you still using the AutoProp H6 with the new engine?  If yes, did you have it modified in any way?

Thanks,
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jul 5, 2020 1:18 PM, Marco Mancini <marcomancini61@...> wrote:
dears,

the TMD22 with the mechanical gearbox (2,8 reduction factor) and the autoprop h6 was probably  never reached in our 20 years of SM  more than 2500 2600 rpm ,
The TMD22 engine characteristic curve show that the 78 hp ( the max power) is obtained at 3500 - 4200 rpm  but at 2500 the curve show 40 hp and the boat has never reached more than 7.5 knots
Now we have moved to the yanmar 110 cv,  the new version of the yanmar 100) with gearbox with 2.3 rduction factor   (midway betwenn the 1.97 of amel 54 with 110 volvo and  2.8 of the yanmar 100 )  that is  the new version  of the well known  Yanmar 100 cv  installed by Amel  after the TMD22. In Italy due to a severe restrictions of  omologation certificate we had also to afford the cost of new homologation certificate but we hare happy with this change . indeed the boat seems to go much better, it has a cruise speed of 8,5  at 2300 rpm over 3200rpm ( max engine regime)  and also in the manoeuvres she is more prompt than before .
cheers and good wind .
marco mancini
SM 304

Il giorno 25 giu 2020, alle ore 16:55, Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> ha scritto:

This is question without a definitive answer.
We also have the TMD22. When we bought our boat (about 4 years used), we could get almost 3,000 rpm at max throttle. Our local diesel guy suggested cruising at 80% of max, or 2,400. Our max started to lessen within about a year.
Ever since then, we have usually not been able to max out at 3,000. Usually max is 2,400 to 2,600, so we cruise at 80% of that.
Issues affecting max cruise rpm include bottom, prop (even one barnacle can make a difference), turbo condition, and countless others.
I suppose that, just like me, the Volvo has also lost a little mojo as it has aged.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

with its tiny keyboard

On Jun 25, 2020, at 10:10 AM, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

Hello Amelians!  I am in the process of learning my boat.  The engine is a Volvo TMD22, with autoprop h6 propeller.
I found some threads here on the forum related to this topic, but none conclusive about what is the ideal cruise rpm regime, and what is the maximum rpm?  I can't get more than 2100 rpm!
 Any suggestion?

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

JOSE PRIETO

Guys,

Once again I would like to thank all the opinions.
I removed the turbo from my boat and took it to a specialized workshop, which did a review and decarbonization. Now the engine easily reaches over 3,000 rpm.
Its great to own an Amel, but having a backup from this group its fantastic.

Cheers
--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

Germain Jean-Pierre

Late piping in... check turbo and it’s actuator

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007

On 7/07/2020, at 8:55 AM, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Jose, I have the same engine with the Max prop I have now,or the fixed prop ,I could always get to 3100 rpms and about 8.3 kts. I too recommend you check your turbo. You may want to check the throttle linkage as well ,it may have slipped.
Good Luck ,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

I would recommend that you have your turbo checked
Kind regards
Philippe
S/V Chameleon
Antibes, F

Le jeu. 25 juin 2020 à 16:10, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> a écrit :
Hello Amelians!  I am in the process of learning my boat.  The engine is a Volvo TMD22, with autoprop h6 propeller.
I found some threads here on the forum related to this topic, but none conclusive about what is the ideal cruise rpm regime, and what is the maximum rpm?  I can't get more than 2100 rpm!
 Any suggestion?

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323
Currently Alicante, Spain

Patrick McAneny

Bill, Be certain to fully seat the end caps so that the core is fully inserted in its section of the cap and tighten the clamps well,or else the raw water can exchange or mix with the antifreeze . My old caps were getting hard ,making it hard to insure a tight seal as the rubber was no longer pliable . The previous owner went so far as to put sealant/silicone in the cap. Not a good idea ,as pieces could break free and block cooling passages within the block. As I said in my previous post ,you can buy a new set of caps for about $50. ,if you buy them for a Perkins instead of a Volvo.
Good Luck,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River, Md.