Topics

Boar speed om Amel SM200

Slavko D.

Hello,

I just become the owner of SM 2000 hull nr. 279. Name Bonne Anse. Boat speed is not working. Surveyer Oliver said that problem is in sensor. Any experince if I would change with sensor for depth, temperature and speed sensor?

Thank you,

Slavko
SM 2000 279

There is not a simple answer to your question, but there are answers. There are 3 general choices and several more that will work:
1.) Replace the sonic speed SOW sensors. Several owners have indeed bought new sensors recently
2.) Add a B&G-compatible paddlewheel through-hull transducer for speed (SOW)
3. Add a SOG to SOW NEMA 0183 converter and everything works fine, except you cannot calculate "set & drift," but unless you plan to rac your SM, you will not need to know these.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 2:33 PM Slavko Despotovi <slavko@...> wrote:

Hello,

I just become the owner of SM 2000 hull nr. 279. Name Bonne Anse. Boat speed is not working. Surveyer Oliver said that problem is in sensor. Any experince if I would change with sensor for depth, temperature and speed sensor?

Thank you,

Slavko
SM 2000 279

Bill Shaproski

I have a 1995 SM and changed out the B&G instruments for Raymarine instruments.  Relatively straightforward replacement except for running the wiring to the mast head for the wind instrument.  The wires for all instruments, run in a completely accessible channel on the starboard side at the ceiling intersection.

Regards
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool
206-375-2787

--
Bill Shaproski
Cell:  +1-206-375-2787

Arno Luijten

Hi Bill,

I don’t agree with your statement you can do without a STW sensor if you are not racing. In my current location (Caribbean) this may be OK but my former cruising grounds (Western-Europe) it would be quite an omission to live without STW. When tidal currents are getting significant you really appreciate the information you get from the difference between SOG and STW. We’ve sailed in places where the tidal current can run up to 8 knots. You really want to know when the tide change.
So it’s very depending on your cruising grounds if you can do without a STW sensor.

regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno, you are correct, I should not have used the term, "if you are not racing."

I should have said, "if you want a simple solution that costs less than $200."😀

Bill