Topics

Newer model Isolated ground kit for Yanmar from alel

eric freedman

https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/files/Miscellaneous/_Kit%20isolation%20Yanmar.pdf

Tom,

I believe this is what you have. This is the newer conversion.  I see the relay you are referring to. The only thing I do not see in photos are the dual wire senders. I do see that they used them as you can see a bunch of sender wires at the Valeo Solenoid. If you will notice they show  that they are still using the diodes. They are covered in heat shrink tubing with a solderless connector at either end.

I also think I see a tranny oil cooler mounted on the tranny. Do you have this?

Above  is the link and the wiring diagram of the newer conversion of the yanmar of the isolated ground.

Fair Winds,

Eric

Sm 376

Thomas Kleman

Eric- first of all thanks for all this. To have a guy who rewired his engine from scratch as a resource is incredibly helpful. My engine is a 4JH3-HTE but the wiring to the solenoid, diodes, and relay are all there as I see in the pics. After following the wiring from the panel to the solenoid the problem ended up being a bad connection at the relay. No power out of the relay to the solenoid. After rewiring the 2 brown wires connector and cleaning up the relay it works fine now. But as a precaution I'm buying a new solenoid from Maud and already ordered spare relays. I'm still curious about being able to substitute the isolated ground solenoid spares I have from the Onan for the Yanmars Valeo in a pinch. I never considered that option. Anyway, problem solved for now.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Honelei Bay, Kauai

Tom,

I believe that almost any automotive 12-volt starter solenoid will work as a substitute as long as the mounting bracket is not connected to any of the posts on the battery side of the switched posts or the battery side of the coil posts. I believe this condition is true on most start solenoids and the Onan Negative solenoid, but you should verify it.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 9:10 AM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Thomas,
I am happy that i could be of some help. After we started talking it took me a bit of time to find your wiring diagram.
My 4jh3hte is working fine but I have put over 7000 hours on the engine. Even though the engine is giving me no trouble, I am installing a new 4jh4hte
engine this coming winter in the Caribbean. I see from the wiring diagrams that Amel?

Is the intercooler for your engine mounted above the starter motor or is it mounted on a high bracket above the transmission? Amel changed the location of most of the wiring components. I also see what seams to be the transmission oil cooler mounted on top of the transmission. Is yours mounted there?

If you do not mind would you please send m about a dozen photos of your engine?
Fair Winds,

Eric