Topics

A54 Fresh Water Pressure

David,

I sent you some pages from my Amel Book which will probably help you. Those pages illustrate the standard SM 66B pump, but it is designed and operates very similar to the pump you have, and the Square D pressure switch is exactly the same. The Square D Pressure switch may need replacing, the orifice cleaned, or the springs adjusted. I send you some pages from my Amel Book. If I were you, I would not attempt to adjust the Square D switch until everything else was attempted. It is almost impossible to buy a freshwater pump as good as the one that you have and you would be much better off to either rebuild what you have or pay someone to rebuild it.

Cleaning the Square D Pressure switch orifice is not in the above pages, but illustrated in this photo. After removing the switch from the pressurized system, the orifice is visible inside the pipe connector (circled below). Note the cotton swabs with dirt and debris.

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 6:59 AM David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
Many thanks Bill,

When I opened up the pump it was completely solid with crystals and deposit of some sort. Until I bought it last year she has been on the Sth France where the water is hard so maybe that plus an extended 9mths on the hard (thanks Covid) has caused the problem.   A 24 hrs soak with shower cleaner (decalcifier) and some fiddling did the job.  However, after reinstalling water appeared to be leaking from the rear seal.  I must have somehow damaged the seal amongst my exploratory blundering, but maybe I can  rebuild it for a spare.

My new problem is the pressure switch doesn't seem to me working.  It isn't automatically switching on.  If I manually trigger the switch it latches on okay, the pump runs
but doesn't trip off once pressure is reached (max 4bar).  It was okay before. So far adjusting the two adjustment nuts 1 & 2 and it hasn't done any good. Grrrrr with frustration!  Any suggestions?

BTW you are correct about the price for tank + pump + switch assembly 950€.  For the benefit of all, just the pump alone was 540€.

--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

David Crisp

[...]

David for most Amels the cut-off pressure is between 2-3 bar. If you are in that range you should be OK.

FYI, normally the accumulator tank fails before the pump, and that pump is likely rebuildable. The cost of the original pump and tank is close to 1,000 euros.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 5:44 AM David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm replacing the Gianneshi fresh water pump.  Can anyone tell me the recommended high and low water pressure values please?  I have the original Gianneschi ACB-61-G pressure tank and pump system, but I'm just replacing the pump as the tank seems okay.
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

David Crisp