Topics

Rudder Nut

Bernd Spanner

Hi,

I had a very little water near the rudder shaft after some heavy seas. Wanted to tighten the nut, bit its too big for my tools. Any advice or do I need another special tool?
Tbanks
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Bernd;

Amel sells the required wrench, or you can have any machine shop make one for you. Aluminum would work best as it is light and easy to work with. We had one fabricated and also purchased one from Amel. I’m sure you can come up with other tools that will work,  but the nut is fairly soft and you have to be careful how you apply pressure.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

I had a very little water near the rudder shaft after some heavy seas. Wanted to tighten the nut, bit its too big for my tools. Any advice or do I need another special tool?
Tbanks
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

Dennis Johns

Ironic that your last name is Spanner.   That's the tool you need, it's called a plumber's adjustable spanner.  Some folks have gone to a machine shop and had an aluminum tool cut to fit the nut.

Dennis Johns

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM Bernd Spanner <bernd.spanner@...> wrote:
Hi,

I had a very little water near the rudder shaft after some heavy seas. Wanted to tighten the nut, bit its too big for my tools. Any advice or do I need another special tool?
Tbanks
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

John Clanton

Bernd,

I saw a bright Amel owner create a suitable spanner by taking a plastic cutting board, the type used in the galley, and cutting the correct dimension in the end of it with a hack saw.  The soft plastic didn’t damage the compression nut, it didn’t cost him anything, and it worked perfectly.

John

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited.

Mohammad Shirloo

Smart.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

I saw a bright Amel owner create a suitable spanner by taking a plastic cutting board, the type used in the galley, and cutting the correct dimension in the end of it with a hack saw.  The soft plastic didn’t damage the compression nut, it didn’t cost him anything, and it worked perfectly.

John

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited.

eric freedman

Hi Bernd,

Attached is a photo of one I cut out of aluminum stock. If it is short enough you can tighten the nut at sea without removing anything.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376