Topics

Hardtop for Amel 54

Barry Connor

Hi Mohammed,

Thank you for the info, Unfortunately I will not be going to the US for some time. My thoughts are that we are going to be here for some time. I really like the hardtop on Caduceus, I will look into this, will need a stainless steel welder, a fibre glass moulder and a canvas/sail maker. Could be a challenge here in Le Marin! By that I mean that getting work done is a challenge and slow, took 3 months to get 4 brackets made for my new lift up windscreens, The early 54's only had one hydraulic lift arm on each lift up screens at 300N, I am changing to two hydraulic lift arms per screen as per your 54 at 170N each.
If I was still in Greece I would be able to find these workers, Preveza has a young chap, very good at stainless work.

The hardtop on Ruedi and Sabina's Amel 54 might be insulated. Contact Ruedi and he will give you all the info. It looks very well made. 

Very Best

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54. #17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 5:13:42 PM EDT, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi Barry;

Caduceus’ hard top was made in Norfolk West Virginia.

What did you think of the Emek installation? Do you know if it was insulated and how it has performed so far?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barry Connor via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 1:46 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Hardtop for Amel 54

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the photo.

I am going to see them on Wednesday when everything reopens here after this holiday weekend. I do hope that your price is not correct.

My current Bimini is an all cover, 5 bow frame with Sunbrella, like the hardtop made for Caduceus Amel 54. #56.

Mohammad: Thank you for the photos. Do you know where Caduceus hardtop was made? The Emek Marine link is the hardtop on Wasabi Amel54. I think #50? Ruedi and Sabina showed me over this with the complete coverings.

Very Best

Barry and Penny

"SV Lady Penelope II"

Amel 54. #17

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 4:28:59 PM EDT, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <itsfun1@...> wrote:

I wonder if they would do a volume discount?

Bill is this an Amel School possibility?

Cheers 

Courtney 

svTrippin

54 #101

Brunswick 

On Jul 11, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

This one was done by Manu at Alize Composites in Le Marin.

I think he said 25-30k euros.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

<P1070516.JPG>

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Barry;

Caduceus’ hard top was made in Norfolk West Virginia.

What did you think of the Emek installation? Do you know if it was insulated and how it has performed so far?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barry Connor via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 1:46 PM

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the photo.

I am going to see them on Wednesday when everything reopens here after this holiday weekend. I do hope that your price is not correct.

My current Bimini is an all cover, 5 bow frame with Sunbrella, like the hardtop made for Caduceus Amel 54. #56.

Mohammad: Thank you for the photos. Do you know where Caduceus hardtop was made? The Emek Marine link is the hardtop on Wasabi Amel54. I think #50? Ruedi and Sabina showed me over this with the complete coverings.

Very Best

Barry and Penny

"SV Lady Penelope II"

Amel 54. #17

On Saturday, July 11, 2020, 4:28:59 PM EDT, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <itsfun1@...> wrote:

Cheers 

Courtney 

svTrippin

54 #101

Brunswick 

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

<P1070516.JPG>

Barry Connor

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the photo.

Very Best

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54. #17

Cheers 
Courtney 
svTrippin
54 #101
Brunswick 

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
<P1070516.JPG>

Courtney Gorman

Cheers 
Courtney 
svTrippin
54 #101
Brunswick 

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
<P1070516.JPG>

Scott SV Tengah

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Brent Cameron

The nicest one I’ve seen is on the Amel 54 Soleil Bleu.  It looks like it could have come out of La Rochelle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT7x0SjM648

Brent

On Jul 11, 2020, 11:11 AM -0400, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>, wrote:

Thanks Barry;

I got permission from the previous owner of Caduceus A54 #56 to share the pictures of his hardtop. The following is the link to the pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fr8okwqm43p6hsb/AADBRqNQw4VXvNSKDCVNT4afa?dl=0

Martin circumnavigated with this design and was very happy with it. I now see that Emek Marine has also installed one on a 54 in Turkey. Here’s the link:

https://www.facebook.com/emekmarin/posts/amel-54-hardtop-custom-designed-and-made-out-of-composite-lamination-amelyachts-/2003483773066512/

The hardtop makes sense in a lot of ways. As shown in the new Amel designs. I’m very interested in finding out your daily average Amp Hour output from your solar panels on your bimini top. This is where we would like to install ours and avoid an arch and the associated weight and interference with the sleek design, on the transom.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 7:55 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

Hi Mohammad,

2 more photos of the raised boom line. My goal was to get it as high as possible, my Bimini bows are not bent much in the middle.

Best

Barry😀⛵️<image001.jpg><image002.jpg>

On Jul 11, 2020, at 08:08, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Barry,

Thanks. As far as I can see the main thing was to move the pulley block, but I’m not on the boat now so can’t really compare.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

Sent: 11 July 2020 00:55

Hi Paul,

I have attached some photos showing how I raised the boom line.

Very Best

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54.  #17

On Jul 10, 2020, at 03:47, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Barry,

This is something I’ve been interested in too. What changes did you make to the boom line? Would you have a photo?

Cheers,

Paul

Sent: 10 July 2020 00:42
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Hardtop for Amel 54

Hello Amel 54 owners,

I have seen and been onboard some Amel 54's with custom Hardtops. Most are a little low in height.
We are in Martinique since March and will probably be here for some time as the Caribbean is not looking to be opening up for sailing soon.
A good time to undertake some projects. 
Do any Amel 54 owners have any recommendations for getting a custom made hardtop manufactured in the Caribbean? I would like to explore this possibility, I currently have had made a 5 bow Bimini with 6ft clearance under. I am looking for someone in the Caribbean who has made a Hardtop for a 54 or If I could find someone who does good fibre glass. I think I might be able to get a hardtop with 6ft clearance under as I have already made the changes to the boom line which had previously limited the height of hardtops and a bimini.
Would appreciate any advise from members who have any info for this project.

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17
Sante Anne anchorage Martinique 

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Brent Cameron

Future Amel Owner & Amel Owner Registry Moderator

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks Barry;

I got permission from the previous owner of Caduceus A54 #56 to share the pictures of his hardtop. The following is the link to the pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fr8okwqm43p6hsb/AADBRqNQw4VXvNSKDCVNT4afa?dl=0

Martin circumnavigated with this design and was very happy with it. I now see that Emek Marine has also installed one on a 54 in Turkey. Here’s the link:

https://www.facebook.com/emekmarin/posts/amel-54-hardtop-custom-designed-and-made-out-of-composite-lamination-amelyachts-/2003483773066512/

The hardtop makes sense in a lot of ways. As shown in the new Amel designs. I’m very interested in finding out your daily average Amp Hour output from your solar panels on your bimini top. This is where we would like to install ours and avoid an arch and the associated weight and interference with the sleek design, on the transom.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 7:55 AM

Hi Mohammad,

2 more photos of the raised boom line. My goal was to get it as high as possible, my Bimini bows are not bent much in the middle.

Best

Barry😀⛵

Barry,

Thanks. As far as I can see the main thing was to move the pulley block, but I’m not on the boat now so can’t really compare.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Very Best

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54.  #17

Barry,

This is something I’ve been interested in too. What changes did you make to the boom line? Would you have a photo?

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Amel 54 owners,

I have seen and been onboard some Amel 54's with custom Hardtops. Most are a little low in height.
We are in Martinique since March and will probably be here for some time as the Caribbean is not looking to be opening up for sailing soon.
Do any Amel 54 owners have any recommendations for getting a custom made hardtop manufactured in the Caribbean? I would like to explore this possibility, I currently have had made a 5 bow Bimini with 6ft clearance under. I am looking for someone in the Caribbean who has made a Hardtop for a 54 or If I could find someone who does good fibre glass. I think I might be able to get a hardtop with 6ft clearance under as I have already made the changes to the boom line which had previously limited the height of hardtops and a bimini.

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Barry Connor

Hi Mohammad,
Best
Barry😀⛵️

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Very Best

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54.  #17

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Amel 54 owners,

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Very Best

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54.  #17

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Amel 54 owners,

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks Barry;

We ended up scrapping our season in the Med. They wouldn’t let us in anyway, since we are doing so great in the US. The new strategy is, stop looking and the problem will go away. It would be great if boats worked the same way.

Looking forward to your input. If you have been able to fit 1200 Watts on the cockpit cover, that is great. Can you share the manufacturer and model number of the panels you used? Hi to Penny from both of us.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 2:40 PM

Hi Mohammad,

Hope you and Aty are doing OK. Not being able to sail freely is a big down for our system.

Today I found the local company here in Le Marin, Martinique who have made a hardtop for a 54. Due to holidays I will not talk to them until next Wednesday. If they have a good mold I would want them to increase the height by a few inches. I will let you know next week after I see them. My Bimini solar panels are 12v 100amp. These are being tested next week after the acid stuff was spilt all over them last year in Tunisia. I will let you know also about these next week.

I am now going ahead with the Lithium batteries with Olivers (Amel 54 Vela Nautica II)

help. With this virus thing I think we will be here for this year.

Very Best

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel54. #17

On Jul 10, 2020, at 17:06, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi Barry;

We have been looking at adding the hardtop for a while and plan on doing it in 2022 due delays caused by COVID-19. Since it appears you have added solar to your cockpit top, which is what we are planning, I wanted to know the impact of shading on your solar panels. How many watts of solar panels do you have installed and what kind of output in Amp Hours due you get on a typical day?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 1:55 PM

<image001.jpg>

<image002.jpg>

<image003.jpg>

<image004.jpg>

Hi Paul,

Very Best

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54.  #17

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Amel 54 owners,

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Barry Connor

Hi Mohammad,

Hope you and Aty are doing OK. Not being able to sail freely is a big down for our system.
Today I found the local company here in Le Marin, Martinique who have made a hardtop for a 54. Due to holidays I will not talk to them until next Wednesday. If they have a good mold I would want them to increase the height by a few inches. I will let you know next week after I see them. My Bimini solar panels are 12v 100amp. These are being tested next week after the acid stuff was spilt all over them last year in Tunisia. I will let you know also about these next week.
I am now going ahead with the Lithium batteries with Olivers (Amel 54 Vela Nautica II)
help. With this virus thing I think we will be here for this year.

Very Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel54. #17

On Jul 10, 2020, at 17:06, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi Barry;

We have been looking at adding the hardtop for a while and plan on doing it in 2022 due delays caused by COVID-19. Since it appears you have added solar to your cockpit top, which is what we are planning, I wanted to know the impact of shading on your solar panels. How many watts of solar panels do you have installed and what kind of output in Amp Hours due you get on a typical day?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

<image001.jpg>
<image002.jpg>
<image003.jpg>
<image004.jpg>
Hi Paul,

Very Best

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54.  #17

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Amel 54 owners,

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Barry;

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Hi Paul,

Very Best

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54.  #17

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Amel 54 owners,

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Barry Connor

Hi Paul,

Very Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54.  #17

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Amel 54 owners,

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Barry,

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Amel 54 owners,

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Barry Connor

Thank's I will check with them. That is what I am looking for, someone with experience who has done this. I am hoping to be able to  make one with 6ft clearance under.

Very Best

Barry

On Thursday, July 9, 2020, 4:53:10 PM EDT, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <itsfun1@...> wrote:

Check with Amel Caraibes I believe there was a hardtop manufactured there a couple of years ago they should know which boat did it and who did the fiberglass work maybe the mold is still available

On Jul 9, 2020, at 4:42 PM, Barry Connor via groups.io <connor_barry@...> wrote:

Hello Amel 54 owners,

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17

Courtney Gorman

Check with Amel Caraibes I believe there was a hardtop manufactured there a couple of years ago they should know which boat did it and who did the fiberglass work maybe the mold is still available

On Jul 9, 2020, at 4:42 PM, Barry Connor via groups.io <connor_barry@...> wrote:

Hello Amel 54 owners,

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17

Barry Connor

Hello Amel 54 owners,

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17