Topics

Tips appreciated: Major frustration trying to pull cable through Mizzen.

Kent,

They are cylindrical foam located every 1.3m and about Ø10.5mm, Length 40mm.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 7:15 PM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had the same problem.  I wanted to install a new antenna for my AIS at the top of the mizzen to get it away from the VHF antenna.  We couldn't pull the new cable from either end as it got stuck at the spreaders. I couldn't do top a new messenger from the top or get a long tape to go past the spreaders. There were two messenger lines, and we tried both from both ends.  It was frustrating that the messengers came out on the starboard side below the level of the opening between the stbd and port sides, then had to go up a few cm before coming back down a bit to exit at the lower (stbd) mizzen access panel.  No way to get a good pull from below or help feed from below.

I had added an wifi extender and a cellphone extender a couple years ago, and both antennae were mounted on the mizzen spreaders. Neither one seemed to improve wifi signal or cell phone signal significantly, so I removed both antennae, and pulled out their cables. I couldn't tell where the line with the foam pieces was, so assumed it had broken and fallen down into the mast.  I didn't remove the radar cable which exited the mast at the spreaders.  We pulled a new strong messenger down using one of the old ones from the starboard side and it got stuck at about the spreaders again.  We pulled from the bottom with a lot of force and finally got a wad of knotted line out from below. There were no foam pieces to be found.  After that the new antenna cable passed easily from above.
A new messenger was placed using a 1/2 inch nut as a weight, without interference.

When it warms up again, I'll pull another line through with foam pieces attached.  Does anyone know:
what kind of foam was used, or
how big the pieces are, or
How they are attached to the line?

Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Matt Salatino

Interesting info on WiFi

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 10, 2021, at 1:07 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Kent,

As mentioned on my earlier response, the foam bits are cut pieces of the seal for the Goiot port lights. At least the ones on the 54. I seem to recall they were 3cm long each, attached with a simple overhand knot every 1.5m on the line, if I remember right.

BTW - at the risk of thread drift, I'll touch on the wifi antenna. We first had it on our arch and while in Hawaii, we noticed the wifi signal would change dramatically depending on how we rotated with respect to the land based access point that was around 0.6nm away. Made no sense to me that speed/latency increased dramatically as we rotated...until I learned how radio waves transmit and the concept of the Fresnel Zone as it relates to RF signals. Summary is that: RF signals on my omnidirectional antenna extend out in a cone, with the narrowness depending on antenna gain and if 60% of the cone is blocked, signal drops dramatically. Turns out in our case, the solar panels were blocking a significant proportion of that cone if we rotated the wrong way, hence the significant drop in speed and dramatic increase in jitter.

I first moved it to the spreader. The mast had the same effect, albeit reduced. Now it's on the main masthead with a long Cat7 cable down to a router in the boat. We have been connected to access points a mile away and have fast enough speeds and low enough latency/jitter to both stream video and have zoom calls. Downside is that with our 8db antenna, if you're right next to the access point, the mast mounted antenna may not see the AP. But if we're next to it, I just connect to the AP directly with my laptop.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Scott SV Tengah

[...]

karkauai

[...]

Martin Birkhoff

Hi
this pic shows the problem of the original mounting position on the mast top. The lights are masked at certain angles (vertically and horizontally) by the aluminum structure and the base of the wind sensor both in front of the Hella tricolor light. Its a good idea to add a short support to rise the position of the light.
We were called by German coastguard several times because of "insufficent mast top lights" before we added a support

Martin

Mago del Sur - 54#40.
.

Chris Doucette

There are some white lines tied at the top.  If not, they have been sun rotted and you may just be still in the channel. In this case access them from the wire ports in the bottom of the mast via the wire port.

On Feb 8, 2021, at 10:14 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Thanks! That’s a good tip. Where at the top of the mast is the other end of the cable with foam bits? What is it tied off to?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff