Topics

Tips appreciated: Major frustration trying to pull cable through Mizzen.

Kent,

They are cylindrical foam located every 1.3m and about Ø10.5mm, Length 40mm.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 7:15 PM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had the same problem.  I wanted to install a new antenna for my AIS at the top of the mizzen to get it away from the VHF antenna.  We couldn't pull the new cable from either end as it got stuck at the spreaders. I couldn't do top a new messenger from the top or get a long tape to go past the spreaders. There were two messenger lines, and we tried both from both ends.  It was frustrating that the messengers came out on the starboard side below the level of the opening between the stbd and port sides, then had to go up a few cm before coming back down a bit to exit at the lower (stbd) mizzen access panel.  No way to get a good pull from below or help feed from below.

I had added an wifi extender and a cellphone extender a couple years ago, and both antennae were mounted on the mizzen spreaders. Neither one seemed to improve wifi signal or cell phone signal significantly, so I removed both antennae, and pulled out their cables. I couldn't tell where the line with the foam pieces was, so assumed it had broken and fallen down into the mast.  I didn't remove the radar cable which exited the mast at the spreaders.  We pulled a new strong messenger down using one of the old ones from the starboard side and it got stuck at about the spreaders again.  We pulled from the bottom with a lot of force and finally got a wad of knotted line out from below. There were no foam pieces to be found.  After that the new antenna cable passed easily from above.
A new messenger was placed using a 1/2 inch nut as a weight, without interference.

When it warms up again, I'll pull another line through with foam pieces attached.  Does anyone know:
what kind of foam was used, or 
how big the pieces are, or
How they are attached to the line?

Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Matt Salatino

Interesting info on WiFi 

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 10, 2021, at 1:07 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Kent,

As mentioned on my earlier response, the foam bits are cut pieces of the seal for the Goiot port lights. At least the ones on the 54. I seem to recall they were 3cm long each, attached with a simple overhand knot every 1.5m on the line, if I remember right.

BTW - at the risk of thread drift, I'll touch on the wifi antenna. We first had it on our arch and while in Hawaii, we noticed the wifi signal would change dramatically depending on how we rotated with respect to the land based access point that was around 0.6nm away. Made no sense to me that speed/latency increased dramatically as we rotated...until I learned how radio waves transmit and the concept of the Fresnel Zone as it relates to RF signals. Summary is that: RF signals on my omnidirectional antenna extend out in a cone, with the narrowness depending on antenna gain and if 60% of the cone is blocked, signal drops dramatically. Turns out in our case, the solar panels were blocking a significant proportion of that cone if we rotated the wrong way, hence the significant drop in speed and dramatic increase in jitter.

I first moved it to the spreader. The mast had the same effect, albeit reduced. Now it's on the main masthead with a long Cat7 cable down to a router in the boat. We have been connected to access points a mile away and have fast enough speeds and low enough latency/jitter to both stream video and have zoom calls. Downside is that with our 8db antenna, if you're right next to the access point, the mast mounted antenna may not see the AP. But if we're next to it, I just connect to the AP directly with my laptop.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Scott SV Tengah

Kent,

As mentioned on my earlier response, the foam bits are cut pieces of the seal for the Goiot port lights. At least the ones on the 54. I seem to recall they were 3cm long each, attached with a simple overhand knot every 1.5m on the line, if I remember right.

BTW - at the risk of thread drift, I'll touch on the wifi antenna. We first had it on our arch and while in Hawaii, we noticed the wifi signal would change dramatically depending on how we rotated with respect to the land based access point that was around 0.6nm away. Made no sense to me that speed/latency increased dramatically as we rotated...until I learned how radio waves transmit and the concept of the Fresnel Zone as it relates to RF signals. Summary is that: RF signals on my omnidirectional antenna extend out in a cone, with the narrowness depending on antenna gain and if 60% of the cone is blocked, signal drops dramatically. Turns out in our case, the solar panels were blocking a significant proportion of that cone if we rotated the wrong way, hence the significant drop in speed and dramatic increase in jitter.

I first moved it to the spreader. The mast had the same effect, albeit reduced. Now it's on the main masthead with a long Cat7 cable down to a router in the boat. We have been connected to access points a mile away and have fast enough speeds and low enough latency/jitter to both stream video and have zoom calls. Downside is that with our 8db antenna, if you're right next to the access point, the mast mounted antenna may not see the AP. But if we're next to it, I just connect to the AP directly with my laptop.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

karkauai

I had the same problem.  I wanted to install a new antenna for my AIS at the top of the mizzen to get it away from the VHF antenna.  We couldn't pull the new cable from either end as it got stuck at the spreaders. I couldn't do top a new messenger from the top or get a long tape to go past the spreaders. There were two messenger lines, and we tried both from both ends.  It was frustrating that the messengers came out on the starboard side below the level of the opening between the stbd and port sides, then had to go up a few cm before coming back down a bit to exit at the lower (stbd) mizzen access panel.  No way to get a good pull from below or help feed from below.

I had added an wifi extender and a cellphone extender a couple years ago, and both antennae were mounted on the mizzen spreaders. Neither one seemed to improve wifi signal or cell phone signal significantly, so I removed both antennae, and pulled out their cables. I couldn't tell where the line with the foam pieces was, so assumed it had broken and fallen down into the mast.  I didn't remove the radar cable which exited the mast at the spreaders.  We pulled a new strong messenger down using one of the old ones from the starboard side and it got stuck at about the spreaders again.  We pulled from the bottom with a lot of force and finally got a wad of knotted line out from below. There were no foam pieces to be found.  After that the new antenna cable passed easily from above.
A new messenger was placed using a 1/2 inch nut as a weight, without interference.

When it warms up again, I'll pull another line through with foam pieces attached.  Does anyone know:
what kind of foam was used, or 
how big the pieces are, or
How they are attached to the line?

Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Martin Birkhoff

Hi
this pic shows the problem of the original mounting position on the mast top. The lights are masked at certain angles (vertically and horizontally) by the aluminum structure and the base of the wind sensor both in front of the Hella tricolor light. Its a good idea to add a short support to rise the position of the light.
We were called by German coastguard several times because of "insufficent mast top lights" before we added a support

Martin

Mago del Sur - 54#40.

Chris Doucette

There are some white lines tied at the top.  If not, they have been sun rotted and you may just be still in the channel. In this case access them from the wire ports in the bottom of the mast via the wire port.  

On Feb 8, 2021, at 10:14 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Thanks! That’s a good tip. Where at the top of the mast is the other end of the cable with foam bits? What is it tied off to?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Doucette
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 4:03 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Tips appreciated: Major frustration trying to pull cable through Mizzen.

I removed all the wires and mouse lines from my mast this summer. There was lots of silt that made removal of the mouse lines with foam tricky.  They got stuck and twisted in the existing cables.  Once i got one wire out (and pulled more mouse cables) it went well.  Dump 50/50 mixture of dish soap and water down the mast wire chase for some added lube ;) 

On Feb 8, 2021, at 8:52 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark!

That explains a lot. So, it was the mouse line with the foam dampers you had trouble removing? Is the line with the foam dampers marked in some way? I am assuming I reach it via the removable panel on the side of the mast?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark McGovern
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 5:58 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Tips appreciated: Major frustration trying to pull cable through Mizzen.

Mark,

The foam dampers are attached to a separate mouse line, NOT to the VHF cable or any other cable. 

The idea is that when you need to run a new cable up inside the mast, you:

1.  Tie a new "plain" mouse line to the bottom of the "foam damper" mouse line
2.  Pull the "foam damper" mouse line out the top of the mast
3.  Pull the new cable(s) in the now clear cable chase
4.  Pull the "foam damper" mouse line back in 

Mark

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Mark Erdos

Thanks! That’s a good tip. Where at the top of the mast is the other end of the cable with foam bits? What is it tied off to?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Doucette
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 4:03 PM

I removed all the wires and mouse lines from my mast this summer. There was lots of silt that made removal of the mouse lines with foam tricky.  They got stuck and twisted in the existing cables.  Once i got one wire out (and pulled more mouse cables) it went well.  Dump 50/50 mixture of dish soap and water down the mast wire chase for some added lube ;) 

Thanks Mark!

That explains a lot. So, it was the mouse line with the foam dampers you had trouble removing? Is the line with the foam dampers marked in some way? I am assuming I reach it via the removable panel on the side of the mast?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark McGovern

Mark,

The foam dampers are attached to a separate mouse line, NOT to the VHF cable or any other cable. 

Mark

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Chris Doucette

Thanks Mark!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Mark,

Mark

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Mark Erdos

Thanks Mark!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Mark,

Mark

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Mark McGovern

Mark,

Mark

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Scott SV Tengah

Take a look at the photos posted earlier in this thread - the foam bits are attached to a separate line. Not connected to the coax itself.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Scott SV Tengah

On the back of the ICOM vhf unit at the nav station, on A54 #69, the yellow/green bonding wire is connected to the case, specifically the "ground screw". Therefore case is grounded. I am not sure if Amel did this on SMs.

The outer part of the PL-259 plug is connected to the grounding foil on the coax cable. If you solder/crimp one on your own, this will become immediately apparent. At the head unit, that connects the PL-259 plug -> coax foil -> head unit case -> bonding

At the antenna, on A54 #69, the male threads of the VHF antenna is mounted through a drilled hole in a horizontal "platform" at the top of the mast. The female threads of the PL-259 are obviously continuous with the male threads of the antenna. Therefore the PL-259 is then continuous with the mast and therefore the rigging. On the old Banten antenna, the male threads were isolated since the antenna and coax were one piece and presumably designed so that the male threads are isolated from the coax ground foil. That is not the case with any antenna that uses a PL-259 plug.

I don't think connecting rigging to bonding is a bad thing. Per Olivier, Amel started doing this on A54s in 2009; I have asked a few post-2009 Amels who have not changed their VHF to test for continuity between bonding and rigging and they have confirmed that it exists. Therefore, I don't mind it. As a side benefit, once I made the change, there was much less tarnishing on stainless above the deck.  

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Arnold Mente

i will use this coupling, cut the cable at antenna and connect the new one with the attached plug!

Arnold
SV Zephyr
SM 203

Am 07.02.2021 um 20:32 schrieb Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...>:

Hi Mark,

Are the foam bits attached to a cord? I assumed they would be attached to VHF cable.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark McGovern
Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2021 5:57 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Tips appreciated: Major frustration trying to pull cable through Mizzen.

Mark,

In my case, there is no way to attach a new cable to the old cable at the top of the mast.  At least not that is apparent to me.  The original RG58 Cable seems to be "hardwired" to the Banten AIS antenna at the top of the mizzen mast.  It may be different on Cream Puff.  

I can, however, attach a new cable at the base of the mast and pull a new cable up the mast to the top of the mast.  

Fortunately, I have the luxury of having my mast horizontal and 4' off the ground while in the mainland USA in the land of Amazon, West Marine, Defender, etc. to figure out what I will do next.  I am planning to replace both the VHF and AIS with antennas that have a PL259 connection at the base of the antenna and run LMR-400 cables to the VHF and AIS. I will let you know how that goes.

-- 
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA 

--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203

Mark Erdos

Hi Mark,

Are the foam bits attached to a cord? I assumed they would be attached to VHF cable.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2021 5:57 PM

Mark,

In my case, there is no way to attach a new cable to the old cable at the top of the mast.  At least not that is apparent to me.  The original RG58 Cable seems to be "hardwired" to the Banten AIS antenna at the top of the mizzen mast.  It may be different on Cream Puff. 

I can, however, attach a new cable at the base of the mast and pull a new cable up the mast to the top of the mast.  

Fortunately, I have the luxury of having my mast horizontal and 4' off the ground while in the mainland USA in the land of Amazon, West Marine, Defender, etc. to figure out what I will do next.  I am planning to replace both the VHF and AIS with antennas that have a PL259 connection at the base of the antenna and run LMR-400 cables to the VHF and AIS. I will let you know how that goes.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Mark Erdos

I am not sure how using the PL-259 plug would connect the rigging to the bonding system. The rigging is not connected to the boding system and neither is the VHF radio. Am I missing something?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott SV Tengah
Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2021 7:46 PM

Mark and Mark,

On our A54 #69, the old RG58 was in fact hard wired to the Banten antenna. The easy solution if you want to do it CP's suggested method is to just cut the old rg58 at the antennaand tape the new cable to the old. Of course once you cut it, you're committed, so you better hope that the tape doesn't come apart! As an aside, I believe Amel chose a one piece antenna/cable combo to keep the mast/riggingisolated from the bonding system as they used to do pre-2009. Once you install a different antenna and put a PL-259 on it (self amalgamating tape and electrical tape it well after installation!), the PL-259 "outer part", via the ground foil, will connect to the case of the VHF and the case of the VHF is bonded. I am fine with that because Amel has decided to do that on all post-2009 Amels. In our case, this change caused the Masse-neg light to glow brightly since we had a neg leak via the bow nav lights that I had previously been unaware of. Just be aware that after going with PL-259 terminated wires, your rigging will be connected to bonding.

For the main, for our VHF cable replacement a bit over a year ago, we did it the way that CP suggested. We used RG8x taped to the old RG58 and we could pull it through, albeit with much effort. Later we tried to use the mousing line to pull through a Cat7 ethernet cable for our masthead mounted wifi antenna. That was not successful and we had to remove the foam bits, which made it 10x easier. 

Mark-Cara: we tried to run LMR400 and it's a very very tight fit and we probably damaged the wire while attempting it; that said, our mast is not horizontal. Also keep in mind that there's RG58 from the base of the mast to the nav station. If you don't replace all of it, you'll have low-loss down the mast and then silly-small RG58 from the mast ot the vhf. Same with our AIS antenna on the mizzen.

When we replaced the mizzen AIS cabling, the same method did not work. The foam bits had rotated and also I think the in-mast conduit is a bit smaller, so no amount of pulling could get the taped combination old/new cable through. You have to remove the pieces of foam.

As Oliver suggested, put the line with the foam bits back. We tried to go without but you could definitely hear the cables banging around. If you break the foam bits, they're just the sealing gaskets for the Goiot portlights. Pretty easy to find online.

Hope this helps.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 4:57 AM Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Mark,

In my case, there is no way to attach a new cable to the old cable at the top of the mast.  At least not that is apparent to me.  The original RG58 Cable seems to be "hardwired" to the Banten AIS antenna at the top of the mizzen mast.  It may be different on Cream Puff. 

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Scott SV Tengah

Mark and Mark,

On our A54 #69, the old RG58 was in fact hard wired to the Banten antenna. The easy solution if you want to do it CP's suggested method is to just cut the old rg58 at the antennaand tape the new cable to the old. Of course once you cut it, you're committed, so you better hope that the tape doesn't come apart! As an aside, I believe Amel chose a one piece antenna/cable combo to keep the mast/riggingisolated from the bonding system as they used to do pre-2009. Once you install a different antenna and put a PL-259 on it (self amalgamating tape and electrical tape it well after installation!), the PL-259 "outer part", via the ground foil, will connect to the case of the VHF and the case of the VHF is bonded. I am fine with that because Amel has decided to do that on all post-2009 Amels. In our case, this change caused the Masse-neg light to glow brightly since we had a neg leak via the bow nav lights that I had previously been unaware of. Just be aware that after going with PL-259 terminated wires, your rigging will be connected to bonding.

For the main, for our VHF cable replacement a bit over a year ago, we did it the way that CP suggested. We used RG8x taped to the old RG58 and we could pull it through, albeit with much effort. Later we tried to use the mousing line to pull through a Cat7 ethernet cable for our masthead mounted wifi antenna. That was not successful and we had to remove the foam bits, which made it 10x easier. 

Mark-Cara: we tried to run LMR400 and it's a very very tight fit and we probably damaged the wire while attempting it; that said, our mast is not horizontal. Also keep in mind that there's RG58 from the base of the mast to the nav station. If you don't replace all of it, you'll have low-loss down the mast and then silly-small RG58 from the mast ot the vhf. Same with our AIS antenna on the mizzen.

When we replaced the mizzen AIS cabling, the same method did not work. The foam bits had rotated and also I think the in-mast conduit is a bit smaller, so no amount of pulling could get the taped combination old/new cable through. You have to remove the pieces of foam.

As Oliver suggested, put the line with the foam bits back. We tried to go without but you could definitely hear the cables banging around. If you break the foam bits, they're just the sealing gaskets for the Goiot portlights. Pretty easy to find online.

Hope this helps.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 4:57 AM Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:
Mark,

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Mark McGovern

Mark,

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Mark Erdos

Hi Mark,

This is a project I am about to undertake. It has been on the list for a little while but rolling conditions have stifled my comfort level about going up the mast lately. That, and it’s been so darn hot. All other pieces of the new vhf systems are already in place. The new antennae cable is the final bit.

I was planning to securely attach the new cable to the old cable at the top of the mast and then pull it down. Thus, killing two birds with one stone. I am curious why you did not do this. Am I missing something?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2021 3:41 PM

For posterity, here are some close up pictures of the "bowtie" pieces of foam that are inside the mizzen mast.  They are pieces of cylindrical foam about 10.5 mm in diameter and 40mm long.  They are tied about every ~1.3 meters in the mouse line.  

Unfortunately for me, all four of the mouse lines in the mizzen mast were broken near the top of the mast.  Likely from age and UV damage.  I was able to use a my 50' fish tape to run new mouse lines. 

Also unfortunately for me, the main mast is 56+ feet tall and I only have a 50' fish tape.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Mark McGovern

For posterity, here are some close up pictures of the "bowtie" pieces of foam that are inside the mizzen mast.  They are pieces of cylindrical foam about 10.5 mm in diameter and 40mm long.  They are tied about every ~1.3 meters in the mouse line.  

Unfortunately for me, all four of the mouse lines in the mizzen mast were broken near the top of the mast.  Likely from age and UV damage.  I was able to use a my 50' fish tape to run new mouse lines. 

Also unfortunately for me, the main mast is 56+ feet tall and I only have a 50' fish tape.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Mark, from my book:
image.png

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 2:05 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Bill,

Is this a piece of foam – about 2-3” -  attached with a tie to the cable? It’s hard to tell.

Thanks.

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2020 8:35 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification

Mark, I posted a photo (not a good one) earlier in this thread.

image.png

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 1:23 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

If someone could please post a picture of the foam, this would be very helpful to me.

I will soon be replacing the Antenna (main mast), cables and VHF. I plan to thread the new cable from the top of the mast attaching it to the old cable while it is removed. If I can, I would like to keep the foam. I think I could add this as the new cable is being inserted but it is unclear how the foam is attached.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us