Topics

Bow-thruster repair at anchor

Paul Osterberg

Grant thank you!
I ordered from Maud at Amel, where I order most of the spare parts
Paul

Grant Starling

Brilliant Paul really helpful....can you tell me who you ordered the parts though?  I have been thinking of rebuilding my bow thruster for a while, now I know how!  Best Grant

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Charlie,
If I’m not mistaken, the A50 has a different BT. I believe it is made by Sleipner.

Congratulations on your 50.

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 21/08/2020, at 10:26 AM, Charlie Kopp <ckopp@...> wrote:

Thank you so much for this, Paul. I haven’t been very active on this group yet, but I was lucky to acquire SM#50 in the fall of 2017. I must admit the bowthruster has been quite a black box to me, and your video really helped to demystify it. That’s too bad about the new lid not matching up. Anyway, much appreciated. I hope someday I can add some useful content, too.

Charlie Kopp on SY Cloud Seven SM#50 Seattle WA USA

Charlie Kopp

Thank you so much for this, Paul. I haven’t been very active on this group yet, but I was lucky to acquire SM#50 in the fall of 2017. I must admit the bowthruster has been quite a black box to me, and your video really helped to demystify it. That’s too bad about the new lid not matching up. Anyway, much appreciated. I hope someday I can add some useful content, too.

Charlie Kopp on SY Cloud Seven SM#50 Seattle WA USA

Brent Cameron

I’ve read about that repair dozens of times but it was never very clear to me what they were talking about without having it all apart in front of me. Noe seeing your video makes it all very clear. Very well done. The two parts that you were wondering what the English names were are the Shear Pin and the Shaft Key (counterintuitive I know) but it’s still very clear what you meant. Your video will help a lot of new owners so thank you for taking the time to put it together.

Brent

On Aug 9, 2020, 7:18 AM -0400, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...>, wrote:
Just changed bearings and cogwheels on my SM bow-thurster when at anchor. Made a video of the process. Might be of interest for others in need to repair. Do not claim this is the way to do it, just the way i did it. Do not know if it is possible to put it into the file archive to make it easier to find.

https://youtu.be/6zRPHvzMvtg

Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Rio Formosa Portugal

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Paul Osterberg