Topics

Run 2500w inverter always even on shore power?

Billy Newport

Agreed Scott,
Separate charger/inverter is the way to go with Victron and solves this problem once and for all. Just adding sensors all over my boat to measure anything I can think of at the moment. Added a shore power sensor yesterday. My Climma uses about 4kw normally but does spike to 9k briefly on startup I'm assuming. You're victron should have data on its power draw, do you have 24 hours of graphs you can post out of interest? You could get it from VRM Portal if you have a CCGX/GX pushing it up to VRM.

Scott SV Tengah

My boat is pure 220/50hz also and I didn't want to go through the trouble of retrofitting it to work for the short periods where I am in 60hz land. I have the Victron Quattro 5kw/120a charger/inverter and it does, in fact, run everything (scuba compressor/aircon/etc) in the boat but there is a big caveat.

On my boat, it replaces the Amel transfer switch. If the Quattro detects external power into either of its AC inputs, it will pass the external power through and turn off the inverter. I asked Victron and there is no way to disable this functionality.

The way I do it when in 60hz countries that feed 220v/60hz is that I plug in briefly to fill up my lipo batteries and then run everything off battery/inverter, which I set to supply 220v/50hz. There is very little voltage drop on lipo even with heavy draws.  I have a second 220v charger, so I'm feeding about 180-200amps DC in to the batteries, so I rarely plug in for more than an hour.  If I'm running aircon, I'll have to plug in for a bit daily. If I'm not running AC, 960w solar has been enough such that we haven't plugged in at all at this marina.

If you're contemplating spending a lot of money going dual voltage, you might want to consider putting that money towards batteries/solar/inverter because those items will benefit you at all times, not just in a 60hz marina.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Arno Luijten

Except of leaving another hole of $2000+ in your wallet :-)

Arno

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello guys,

All these problems are over when you use a Victron Multi 120 5000.

Since we installed that device its 24h on and all appliences work.

Its like shorepower on anchor.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54#39
Martinique

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020, 15:27 Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi,

You are faced with the difference in 50 and 60 Cycles from the mains power. Most appliances with a pump run bad or not at all when you are running at a different cycle-count as where they were designed for. So if your boat is build for European shore power (230V/50Hz) you will find that several devices will run poorly on US 240/60Hz. Normally Amel puts stickers on those devices. For our boat it's the washer, dishwasher, watermaker and micro-wave that can't run on 60 cycles.
So using the inverter to supply those with power can work, depending on the consumption and type of device. Typically the washer takes a bit too much from the inverter. If you have the 2500W Mastervolt Mass Sine, it's actually only 2kW continuous, really annoying. Our Siemens takes approx 2200W when heating the water and turning the drum. Devices with large start-up current (watermaker) will also have problems.
I'm not sure if the switching logic that Amel put in a 55 is the same as in our (late) 54. If so then the inverter does not provide power if shore power is attached. These are just a bunch of relays in our case,  nothing to configure. On our Amel we have basically the same problem as Saint Martin also uses 60 Cycles. I'm still thinking about a solution without messing up the original design too much. As there are a few other things in this area I want to solve I'm still in doubt between a bigger inverter or a inverter/charger instead of the 2500W inverter.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Duane Siegfri

Because I use a CPAP and wanted to be able to run it off the house bank through the AC outlets, I installed an 1800 watt inverter and wired it to a switch in the compartment above the sink.  The switch selects "OFF", "Mains/Gen", "Inverter".  The switch is then wired to the breakers for "Microwave" and "Outlets".  Those two breakers were isolated (by cutting the bus bar in the breaker panel) from the 30 amp power supply for the AC breakers.  Of course the switch was also wired for supply voltage to the 30 amp breaker for the AC panel.  Except for the inverter I had an electrician install everything.  I also labeled those two breakers "Inverter" so all would know that shutting off the 30 amp breaker for the AC panel would not necessarily shut off power to those breakers.  This also permits use of the microwave anytime when the switch is set to "Inverter".  This is a good safety precaution for the microwave because one can forget that the boat is on US current.

Duane
ex-SM owner

Billy Newport

I didn't have the inverter on, RTFM. The manual specifies the priority system. The gen overrides the inverter, but the inverter overrides shore power. So, if my 2500w inverter is on then it's independent of shore power. You're point in capacity is interesting. My old boat had dual victron 3kw inverters. I could run all 3 AC units on one of those inverters, 2 x 9k BTU and a 16K BTU, all cruisair units. The 16k had a smartstart on it. The main problem with that was actually voltage drop under high load, 12V didn't help. The victron had 4.5kw peaks.
I'm just happy the washing machine isn't broken, I was already looking at how to change the drain pump so I can defer that. I'm instrumenting my AC bus with Shelly AC monitors this week so I'll have data on the washing machine draw soon.

Thanks

Arno Luijten

[...]

Edited

Hi,
I'm on shore power mostly now, a US to Euro pigtail given the boat 240v at 50hz. The Chilla AC works, dishwasher too but the washing machine (LG Direct 7) is giving problems. It starts up and washes but the drain pump makes odd noises (sucking kind of) and kicks in occasionally and then back to sucking. The net is that it really doesn't want to drain the water out of the tub.
I'd been looking at replacing the drain pump but tried this morning to run it on the generator rather than shore power and it worked perfectly. Now, working once is by no means a measure of success but it has me thinking if anyone else has troubles like this.
My old boat ran everything on a pair of 3kw Victron inverters so it didn't matter what I connected to shore wise, it was just charging. Can I run the "comfort" appliances on my 55 always on the inverter even when on shore power. I think the engine room has the Amel device to switch between gen/shore power and inverter but is it programmable/configurable?

Billy
Amel 55#56 Located at LLM in Jersey City, NJ.