Topics

Alternator to house bank charging

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Thanks Mark.

Both examples look good. Certainly keen to keep the LN175amp alternator if we can. The Wakespeed WS500 looks like a good product for now and the future.

Cheers
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K 356

On Saturday, September 5, 2020, 9:59 pm, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Ross,

You could just install an external alternator controller that will allow you to program the alternator to safely charge either your new AGM or future LiFePO4 batteries.  Examples include:
Wakespeed WS500:  http://wakespeed.com/products.html
Balmar MC-624:  https://balmar.net/?product=reguor-mc-624-h

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

You can replace the Leece-Neville internal dumb regulator with an external smart regulator. Email me is you want instructions brouse@...
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 1:59 PM Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Elja,

This will be one for us to look at.

Kind regard Ross and Donna

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 19:14, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222
<Bijorka@...> wrote:
He Ross he Donna

Look hier by the Mastervolt altinator he is expencive but you can change the program for AGM and licium

https://www.mastervolt.de/produkte/lichtmaschinen-laderegler/

Best Elja
SM Balu
222
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Ross he Donna

Look hier by the Mastervolt altinator he is expencive but you can change the program for AGM and licium

https://www.mastervolt.de/produkte/lichtmaschinen-laderegler/

Best Elja
SM Balu
222
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Team,

We have recently replaced our house batteries with 12 x Victron 110amp Gel batteries to give us 660amp capacity.

We have Solar set up through a Victron MPPT with 3 x 200w panels

We ultimately want to change to Lithium in the future and are making changes to our charging system and to protect the Gel batteries in the meantime. We have recently installed a Victron Skylla i100amp charger as the old Dolphin 100amp could not be programmed to charge Gel batteries. The 30amp shore power charger does have a switch to charge Gel batteries, so we will keep with that for the moment unless any of you advise that we should change that also.

The other change we will need to look at is replacing the Lecce-Neville 175amp house alternator as this could potentially overcharge the Gel Batteries. We are looking at different options that would suit the charging of the Gel batteries and also be suitable for charging a Lithium set up in the future.

A Balmar alternator has been recommended by one company in New Zealand and we are currently doing some research on this alternator. Ideally we want something that will do the job now and in the future with minimum adjustment to the current alternator bracket and belt system.

We are also looking at a Balmar MC614 Max charge regulator so as to regulate the charge to the Gel batteries. Lastly because we kept the Lead acid start battery we will look at installing a Balmar Digital Duo charge to regulate the charge between the two battery types.

Has anyone out there done a similar set up or have any advise on best alternator for our system and future compatibility to Lithium.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Ross & Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi