Topics

Sharki genoa top furling device blocked

Volker

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 08:23 AM, Aras wrote:
Dear Aras,

I tried my very best to show you how the swivel parts fit together. The shaft seals need to be replaced when taking the swivel apart with help of a hydraulic press.
The shaft seals do have the seize 62x85x10 mm.
The problem were was the lower white plastic bearing which needed to be grinded from the inside by 1/10 mm.

I have contacted Amel asking or help but they are not able to support. Neither with a spare part nor by any technical information. It seems that they have no files of the old models any more available.
Not a brilliant service☹️

Regards
Volker
Mickmoon, Sharki, hull 176

Aras Grinius

Morning Volker.
I am wondering if you have ideas about storing your dinghy.  We have a Portland Pudgy [hard shell dink].

We abandoned the notion of using a rib.  Just did not seem worth the trouble. . At any rate, There is not enough room in the stern, so foward deck is the only option.

I'm looking for ideas.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 7:56 AM Aras via groups.io <aras.grinius=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Also if you know what bearings and caps I need to order.
Aras

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 7:55 AM n33077 <aras.grinius@...> wrote:
Voker,
Can you send some more pictures of the assembly?  I'm curious to see how each piece fits together.
Aras
Sharki #163 1988

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 4:42 AM Volker <Puchta@...> wrote:
Problem solved:-)
The ship yard was able to take the swivel apart and to grind the plastic bearings a bit, so that they are turning now smoothly.
The start of the problem was that the previous owner had used mineral oil grease and this caused the plastic bearings to swell. Time over time the swivel starts to turn stiffer and stiffer until it bends the horns and finally blocks.

Volker
Mickmoon, Sharki hull 176

--
Aras Grinius

--
Aras Grinius

--
Aras Grinius

Aras Grinius

[...]

Ralf Schroeder

Hi Volker,

when the bearings by ship yard not in the store, send me the numbers from the bearings.
I will ask in our company, if the bearings in our store or if there an alternative typ.

Best Regards
Ralf

Aras Grinius

There 2 sets of bearings.   Before taking seal out take note of numbers.
Bearing 123 should have the seal and bearings to match.
I think bearing 123 is in France
Aras

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020, 12:42 PM Volker <Puchta@...> wrote:
Hi Aras,
 I went to a ship yard and tomorrow we will take down the fore stay, to be able to take it apart.
Like you I tried everything, rinsing with water, with dry lubricant, ... Nothing was successfull, it seems we have to take it apart and may be rebuild it by a machine shop.
 Regards,
Volker
 Mickmoon, Sharki, hull no. 176

Volker

Hi Aras,
 I went to a ship yard and tomorrow we will take down the fore stay, to be able to take it apart.
Like you I tried everything, rinsing with water, with dry lubricant, ... Nothing was successfull, it seems we have to take it apart and may be rebuild it by a machine shop.
 Regards,
Volker
 Mickmoon, Sharki, hull no. 176

Aras Grinius

Hi Volker.

I seem to be having the very same problem.  I tried spraying it, then rinsing it generously and copiously with water.  Same result.   Turns very stiffly.  In fact it got bad enough where my jib tang had cracked.   I had to remove and make a new one.
My next steps will be to remove the top and press out the bearings.  If you have better pictures I sure would appreciate seeing them.

Aras
Sharki #163

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 9:41 AM Volker <Puchta@...> wrote:
My top furling device for the genoa is turning very very badly. I need help to get it going or to dismantle it.
I have already taken away the brown tigthening ring and now I can see a white plastic bearing that seems to cause the problem.
Any idea how to get it going again?

Thank you,
Volker
Mickmoon, Sharki, hull no. 176