Topics

generator pcb board

JEFFREY KRAUS

Good Day Amelians
Recently, I was running system checks aboard s/v Spirit before a planned run from from Puerto Rico back up to Long Island NY.
My gen set shut down upon starting and indicated an error code of 3 flashes. That code asked for a second code, which when generated translated to requesting that a a certified onan technician be called.
My generator is an MDKAW circa 2005.
When I ran it by my onan dealer back on LI, he indicated that it was the pcb board (the brain), or the whindings. Whindings checked out ok.
I contacted Onan, they had none in stock. They ran an engine down worldwide search, and still came up with none. Making matters worse, they said the company that makes the board for them is out of business (due to covid), and they don't expect to have a new supplier of this part in place for 6 to 9 months.
Fortunately, I found a parts supplier on ebay that has the part in stock. It's a few hundred dollars more then thru onan, but they have it, and it has been shipped.
The fellow I spoke to told me they had 12 in stock (it's now 11 lol). My board is a pcb board part # 327-1533
The company is Arkansas Valley Diesel Service. Phone # 719 9316003
If anyone else runs into this issue, I hope this will save them some aggravation.
Best Wishes to all Amelians.
Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

Thomas Kleman

I know you've probably done this but I wanted to share my experience. My MDKAV gave me a "call tech/bad cpu" message once. But when I kept testing it became apparent that only the AC units caused this. I changed the capacitor in the AC pump (the only commonality) and all was OK. My MDKAV sometimes gives false error codes so a bit of deductive testing is required to prove the cpu is bad. I have a spare so of course I've never needed it (yet).

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
Oahu

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing. I checked and that PCB, part number 327-1533, is also used in MDKAV, MDKAW, & MDKAZ...maybe others.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 7:25 AM JEFFREY KRAUS <jmkraus@...> wrote:
[...]

rossirossix4

Just a related comment...seems these boards fail alot....my MDKAV has this expensive board as well.  There has been at least one posting claiming that heat "melts" these boards.  When I run the generator and (almost always make water at the same time) I leave the engine room open (we are always at anchor or mooring ball so the noise to others is minimal).  That extractor fan is pretty feeble and I think the Dessalator motor likes to be cool as well.  Might make a difference.  My engine room has a 220V outlet mounted up high on the forward bulkhead and I have a 220 fan that is aimed at the Dessalator high pressure pump and in the general vacinity of the battery chargers.  Since this fan works anytime we are on shorepower or when the generator is producing 220 it might help.  Maybe I need to point another one at the generator control board area.  These portable plastic fans are cheap and also help when you are working in the engine room--can be run off the inverter or on shore power in those situations.

To ramble on a little more....a while back I wrote Fight Systems, Inc. that makes more reasonably priced replacement control boards for Onans and asked them if they could offer a board for MDKAVs and received the following reply"
Hi Bob,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We consider many factors where looking at possible aftermarket replacement projects. The engineering process takes 6-8 months and costs well over $30,000, so we have to be sure a market exists that will allow for us to recover expenses in a reasonable amount of time. There are several drawbacks to designing a replacement for the 327-1533, the first is the customer case that the board rests in. That case will require an up front tooling cost of about $15,000 if we were to commission a plastic injection mold. That would be in addition to the $30,000 engineering investment. Unfortunately, at this time I am not confident we would be able to recoup our investment within a one year period based on the number of generators In the market that use this control. I wish it were as simple as snapping my fingers and having a replacement available.

Regards,

Anthony Misiti
COO
Flight Systems
Maybe we could entice them with a pre purchase of a hundred or more.....seems like carrying a spare control board is a good idea.  Their boards run in the $250 to $300 range.

Bob and Suzanne Rossi, KAIMI SM 429

eric freedman

I have a friend in Bogota that repairs expensive circuit boards. Mostly for mining and the oil business.
I asked him how he gets the schematics. He replied with the cheap labor in Colombia ($1.00 an hour)
he just has his technicians test every component on the board.
I would love to send him a defective board and see what he can do with it.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376

On September 26, 2020 at 7:31 PM rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote:

[...]

Great idea. I met a guy in Cartagena who did the same thing.

Someone has got to have an old board that would send it to an address for you.

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 6:52 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill,
Do you recall the mans first name? Was he from Holland? Sending a package to and from Colombia can cost over $200- A customs broker is also needed. If someone ships a board to me I will l include it in my next shipment the shipping costs will be nominal and the customs broker charge will be covered in my carnet. The board will also get to the repairman. It will be shipped to my office/apartment in Bogota.
Eric

On September 27, 2020 at 9:47 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

I'll bring my defective board to you
Jeff

eric freedman

Jeff,
If you are busy UPS it to me.
When do you head to PR?
Will you be bust Oct 29- Nov 9?
Best Eric

On September 28, 2020 at 2:00 AM JEFFREY KRAUS <jmkraus@...> wrote:

Eric,
I'll bring my defective board to you
Jeff

JEFFREY KRAUS

Eric,
I'll call you this week

Barry Connor

Thank you Jeff,

Early this year my Onan generator was giving trouble and I thought that it might be the PCB, it was the 2 relays which I changed. I have  ordered from your supplier so now Arkansas Valley Diesel Service are only showing one left available on Ebay. The delivery time to Florida seems very slow, I hope that they still have this board and they don't have to source it!
Last year I had to have my Desallator board fixed, was lucky that Desallator, Antibes had a person in Holland who did this for them as the boards for the 220v Desallator are not available.
As our boats age we will find many more parts that are becoming rare.
This forum is actually the best, I doubt any other boat builder has anything to match.
Thank you also Bill for all your assistance.

Hope the Colombian contact can assist.

Very Best

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"