Topics

Forward looking Sonar - Amel 54 - Furuno NavNet Plotter Network

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thanks Ken, we have the Interphase which I believe is out of production now. The biggest difficulty in interpretation is the interference caused by choppy sea. However, having said that, with experience and using the right parameters valuable information is there. I was interested to find what unit you were using in case at some time I might need to replace the Interphase.

Thanks again

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 02 October 2020 at 06:08 Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:

Danny and Yvonne,

Aquarius has a Echo Pilot 2D Professional.  It does have a stand alone display, and I like it that way.

Best,

Ken Powers
Aquarius
SM2K#262

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Danny and Yvonne,

Aquarius has a Echo Pilot 2D Professional.  It does have a stand alone display, and I like it that way.

Best,

Ken Powers
Aquarius
SM2K#262

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Ian,
Thanks, your review makes sense, and... Very helpful to me..  I also inherited a boat with FLS (Echo Pilot), and loved it!  Knowing that your Echo Pilot made it 20 years makes me like the product even more.  Though, I must say,  the screen should never fail!  If you are sailing in the same region most of the time, dropping the hook in the same anchorages each year...  There is probably not enough value in purchasing an FLS.  But, for those owners that are planing to go exotic places, where good charts may not available, and usually anchoring in new places...  They should consider the value of an FLS.
Thanks for the detail!

Ken Powers
Aquarius
SM2K#262

ngtnewington Newington

Hello all,

I used to run a large catamaran that doubled as a survey vessel, we were looking for ancient ship wrecks. Mostly in shallow water. We worked in Asia and Mozambique among other places.

The first job on a new site would be to chart it very accurately. So we did what is called a Bathymetric survey, that involved a differential GPS and depth integrated. So one would motor up and down, do the lines and create our spot on accurate chart. We then used to do an in depth survey of the magnetic field with twin magnetometers, also integrated with he DGPS. When the water became too shallow we would transfer the kit to one of our tenders.

This activity involved driving the boat in the sort of places that no sensible yachtsman would ever venture!

One bit of kit we did not have was a forward looking sonar. However we had a really top notch fish finder. This was the most reliable and useful bit of inexpensive kit. It would give a great picture of the bottom. It would differentiate between mud and sand and stones and rock and coral and weed.  In coral reef areas there would generally be a bit of warning as the bottom would change, even fish life would tell us what to expect. I do not remember what brand we had, maybe Feruno? but the monitor was up at the helm station and quite large say 10 inches by about 6 inches. A great bit of kit.

I would like this on Amelia, but running the cables is not so easy.

Nick

Amelia
AML 54 (ashore in Leros) AML54-019

On 30 Sep 2020, at 16:54, James Alton via groups.io <lokiyawl2@...> wrote:

Ken and All,

   I searched for one of the Echo Pilot 2D units (part #81034 with the bronze transducer housing) from US stores and found no stock.  Also a statement on one website that said that the manufacturer has discontinued this item.  I did not follow up on this but did see that a newer 3D Echo Pilot using 2 transducers is available at about 10X the price..  SVB24 had 3 of the 2D units still in stock,  now they have 2 since I just ordered one.   They are currently on sale for 1,092.39 Euros.

   I don't expect this unit to be useful at all times and believe that it is hard to beat a good set of eyes on the bow or up the mast.  Still if this new tool prevents even one grounding it seems like it is a no brainer to add to the boat.  I have had to change anchorages at night before where chart information was poor or non existent.  I am hoping that under such conditions that this instrument can make such a move less stressful, we will see.  Thank you Ken for your input on the Echo Pilot 2D.

Best to all,
James
SV Sueno

I like the fact that the Echo Pilot is completely separate from the rest of the navigation equipment.  I would like a radar overlay on the chart plotter, but not the FLS.  You can spend more to have an integrated system, but I'm not sure it's useful for the FLS.  When I am in shallow water, I have the Echo Pilot going, and a few maps running.  Got my airplane pilot scan going, 1sec per screen, and then out of the cockpit... and repeat.  The FLS is just one of the inputs.

Is this the best?  That, I could not say, because this is all I know.  Echo Pilot is easy to install, easy to use, and easy to set up.  Once set up, if the FLS needs more than an on off button that's too much.  For this reason, It's the best for me.

Ken
Aquarius SM2K#262

James Alton

[...]

Gerhard,

 Delighted to read your post and learn that Greece has such skills. Not always the way !

 Ian

From: Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...>
Date: 2020-09-29 12:06 (GMT-05:00)
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

You may find this a good read:

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/5-forward-looking-sonar-tested-29321

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Justin Paulsen

Ken,

Did you know that they have a video of Aquarius on the Echo Pilot website?

It is right under the "Get Quote" button on this page:  https://echopilot.com/products/fls-2d/

- Justin
Hopeful future SM/SM2k owner

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:50 AM Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Downsides to FLS.. Sometimes an FLS will not work if there is heavy sediment in the water.  I have had times when I was not able to get the depth for up to 5 minutes in some areas..  You can also get weird readings in fast currents with sediment in the water, or when looking into Prop Wash from a large vessel or tugboat.  But, you will get used to reading the prop wash with experience.

Ken Powers
Aquarius
Super Maramu 262

--
Justin Paulsen
IT Professional

"The world is open, are you?"

Paul Osterberg

Jean-Pierre!
What transducer did you choose, I though Raymarine was mor for fish finding?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Ken,

Good to see your usage of FLS is like mine; like everything else electronic, what is really needed?

I have hit the reef twice; lightly in both cases... in Fiji.  First time was in a buoyed channel near northern Taveuni and it was reported to Navionics as it was not shown on any chart and the second time was on exit from Fulanga with a 5 knot following current.  Just a glancing hit.  Reported to Navionics as well.  Perhaps added to their database by now.

Greets to Z.  Stay safe.

Jean-Pierre Germain

On 30 Sep 2020, at 04:44, Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:

Hello James,

I like the fact that the Echo Pilot is completely separate from the rest of the navigation equipment.  I would like a radar overlay on the chart plotter, but not the FLS.  You can spend more to have an integrated system, but I'm not sure it's useful for the FLS.  When I am in shallow water, I have the Echo Pilot going, and a few maps running.  Got my airplane pilot scan going, 1sec per screen, and then out of the cockpit... and repeat.  The FLS is just one of the inputs.

Is this the best?  That, I could not say, because this is all I know.  Echo Pilot is easy to install, easy to use, and easy to set up.  Once set up, if the FLS needs more than an on off button that's too much.  For this reason, It's the best for me.

Ken
Aquarius SM2K#262

Mark Erdos